BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Home Again

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  sanjaun2 
#1 ·
I had an interesting trip as well. I wish things would have worked out to go with D, D and B but timing just wasn't quite right. The leg to Denver was just fine except for the rain, snow, wind and 34 degree weather. I truly must investigate Gerbing's.

After getting to Denver, my daughter and I took off and deadheaded it to Mountain Home AR on Saturday (we were in her car). We spent the night and got the business of getting Dad next to Mom on Sunday. We decided that we did not need to stay another night and wanted to try and get out of the way of the pending heavy storms coming that way. So, we deadheaded our way back to Denver. We were within 30 miles of Joplin 4 hours before the tornado hit. We were very happy to see those dark clouds behind us. Got home without issue Sunday night.

I spent the rest of the week with my 2 daughters in Denver and then headed back home. Came out 70. Very beautiful all the way. No problems found until the winds picked up all the way to Elko. the temperature also continued to drop as well. Got up Sunday morning to rain and 41 degrees. It was cold and on and off rain and lots of wind. Did I mention that I really ought to look into Gerbing's gear?

No traffic to speak of until I got to Bend and then from there to home there was plenty of passing opportunities. The only problem was the stupid 55 MPH speed limit in Oregon. My final stop before getting home was Burns. About 320 miles.

Next trip maybe I'll have company:) Later all.

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad that you and John made it home safe on your respective trips. How amazing that you were so close to the Joplin disaster. It's almost as remarkable as the fact that you made it to Denver and back in this cold wet weather without heated gear. There were a couple times on our trip that I would have froze without my heated vest and for me, that's saying a lot.

Anyway, welcome back and hope to see you soon.

Dan

#3 ·
Glad to have you back in our neighborhood, Art. We had lots of wind on our circuit as well, but nothing like it must have been in Joplin. I did plug in my Gerbings on a couple of days and was mighty glad to have it (thanks, Ernie). That new firewire design is the cat's meow and the heated collar was just right. I highly recommend it. Chief Joseph Rally, Art? John?

Denny

#4 ·
Wow Art, sounds like you had a great trip as well, glad to hear you were able to take care of your Dad per his wishes, and sounds like you were blessed to have your daughter to share in this occasion and share some much needed time together. Glad to hear your trip went well, and yes Gerbings do make us more comfortable in cooler weather, a must have for sure.

Denny, did I hear you mention the rally in John Day? if so count me in too, this is a great rally and a chance to visit with everyone, maybe I can entice Brian into riding down with me. :)

#6 ·
Now that we're all back home it's time to talk about a ride again eh gang? I am for sure planning on Chief Joseph this year. and I think Art had also mentioned it. My job now is to get myself back in shape for riding. as the Tiger is coming together nicely now. I got her to roar again today after about a month of being all apart! My lower back is giving me leg pains again lately here.

John

#9 ·
John -

Hope your back gets better - gotta hear Tiger roar!

Denny

AlaskaFish said:
Now that we're all back home it's time to talk about a ride again eh gang? I am for sure planning on Chief Joseph this year. and I think Art had also mentioned it. My job now is to get myself back in shape for riding. as the Tiger is coming together nicely now. I got her to roar again today after about a month of being all apart! My lower back is giving me leg pains again lately here.

John

#10 ·
Welcome home Art, Glad you returned safely.John Day sounds good so far. Although I have friends coming in from Australia. Might throw a cog in the works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.