Home Again - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 30th, 2011, 12:51 pm Thread Starter

Home Again

I had an interesting trip as well. I wish things would have worked out to go with D, D and B but timing just wasn't quite right. The leg to Denver was just fine except for the rain, snow, wind and 34 degree weather. I truly must investigate Gerbing's.

After getting to Denver, my daughter and I took off and deadheaded it to Mountain Home AR on Saturday (we were in her car). We spent the night and got the business of getting Dad next to Mom on Sunday. We decided that we did not need to stay another night and wanted to try and get out of the way of the pending heavy storms coming that way. So, we deadheaded our way back to Denver. We were within 30 miles of Joplin 4 hours before the tornado hit. We were very happy to see those dark clouds behind us. Got home without issue Sunday night.

I spent the rest of the week with my 2 daughters in Denver and then headed back home. Came out 70. Very beautiful all the way. No problems found until the winds picked up all the way to Elko. the temperature also continued to drop as well. Got up Sunday morning to rain and 41 degrees. It was cold and on and off rain and lots of wind. Did I mention that I really ought to look into Gerbing's gear?

No traffic to speak of until I got to Bend and then from there to home there was plenty of passing opportunities. The only problem was the stupid 55 MPH speed limit in Oregon. My final stop before getting home was Burns. About 320 miles.

Next trip maybe I'll have company Later all.

Art Kester
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 30th, 2011, 2:41 pm

Re: Home Again

Glad that you and John made it home safe on your respective trips. How amazing that you were so close to the Joplin disaster. It's almost as remarkable as the fact that you made it to Denver and back in this cold wet weather without heated gear. There were a couple times on our trip that I would have froze without my heated vest and for me, that's saying a lot.

Anyway, welcome back and hope to see you soon.

Dan

Reelman
2006 K1200R (sun yellow)
2003 K1200LT (anthracite) sold
CCR's:
2005 Grand Teton, N.P.
2007 Osage Beach, MO
2008 Midway, UT
2009 Rapid City, SD
2011 Boise, ID
2013 Bend, OR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old May 30th, 2011, 8:08 pm

Smile Re: Home Again

Glad to have you back in our neighborhood, Art. We had lots of wind on our circuit as well, but nothing like it must have been in Joplin. I did plug in my Gerbings on a couple of days and was mighty glad to have it (thanks, Ernie). That new firewire design is the cat's meow and the heated collar was just right. I highly recommend it. Chief Joseph Rally, Art? John?

Denny

post #4 of 10 Old May 30th, 2011, 8:53 pm

Wow Art, sounds like you had a great trip as well, glad to hear you were able to take care of your Dad per his wishes, and sounds like you were blessed to have your daughter to share in this occasion and share some much needed time together. Glad to hear your trip went well, and yes Gerbings do make us more comfortable in cooler weather, a must have for sure.

Denny, did I hear you mention the rally in John Day? if so count me in too, this is a great rally and a chance to visit with everyone, maybe I can entice Brian into riding down with me.

Clayton
2003 K1200LTE 128k miles and counting
1999 GL1500A
2009 R1200GSA
post #5 of 10 Old May 30th, 2011, 10:09 pm

Great news that you'll come to John Day, Clayton. I think Brian is already thinking about it, so bend his ear.

Denny
post #6 of 10 Old May 30th, 2011, 11:29 pm

Now that we're all back home it's time to talk about a ride again eh gang? I am for sure planning on Chief Joseph this year. and I think Art had also mentioned it. My job now is to get myself back in shape for riding. as the Tiger is coming together nicely now. I got her to roar again today after about a month of being all apart! My lower back is giving me leg pains again lately here.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 10 Old May 31st, 2011, 1:21 pm Thread Starter

I'm thinking Cheif Joseph would be a great place to meet up. Marcia has talked about getting our big tent out and bringing the truck. Not sure about that one though.

Art Kester
post #8 of 10 Old May 31st, 2011, 4:17 pm

Is it big enough for working on bikes and/or poker? Grins......

Denny

Quote:
Originally Posted by artk50
I'm thinking Cheif Joseph would be a great place to meet up. Marcia has talked about getting our big tent out and bringing the truck. Not sure about that one though.
post #9 of 10 Old May 31st, 2011, 10:25 pm

John -

Hope your back gets better - gotta hear Tiger roar!

Denny

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Now that we're all back home it's time to talk about a ride again eh gang? I am for sure planning on Chief Joseph this year. and I think Art had also mentioned it. My job now is to get myself back in shape for riding. as the Tiger is coming together nicely now. I got her to roar again today after about a month of being all apart! My lower back is giving me leg pains again lately here.

John
post #10 of 10 Old May 31st, 2011, 11:33 pm

Welcome home Art, Glad you returned safely.John Day sounds good so far. Although I have friends coming in from Australia. Might throw a cog in the works.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in