Bleeding/Flushing fluid in EHCS on 05+ LT's - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Apr 26th, 2011, 2:14 am Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Smile Bleeding/Flushing fluid in EHCS on 05+ LT's

Is there anyone else in the Northwest in addition to me who has performed this maintenance? BMW has declared this unit as non-serviceable.

Dialogue with a given dealer or via contact with BMW's 800 number for customer service will yield nothing...they just send you to one or the other!!!!!!!

Some of you may have noticed the article/photos of Ari 'the farkle freak' Ignatius and the article by Joe Gottberg as well as comments by John Zeiler and others on the LT forum. I saved the OEM fluid from the initial drain. Subsequent bleeding/flushing a number of times 'cleaned up' visual condition of the hydraulic jack fluid used. There is considerable solids which have settled out from the fluid from my unit. I did not disassemble the actuator but simply bled/flushed it numerous times. I realize this did not get 100% of the crud from the unit. Next winter/spring I will disassemble, etc., following the general procedure of Joe Gottberg.

Based on the condition of the fluid drained from my 05 LT's EHCS, I will likely perform the removal, disassemble, drain/bleed/flush on an annual basis. There is also a need to pull the DC electric motor apart and clean out all the worn brushes residue, lube the bushing end of the rotor and re-lube the motor spline/pump gear.

I have purchased a spare DC motor, replacement brushes sets and o-rings/seal. The design of the brushes on the OEM motor are not exactly the same as the brushes on the replacement motor...the small, braided lead is attached at different positions on the brushes...I have not attempted to explore the possibility of interchangeability to date.

Chicago BMW stated that replacement of the EHCS is only $1100+ or so.

The rep at Marzocchi USA informed me the pump is not available for purchase due to what he has determined as a proprietory agreement b/w BMW and Marzocchi of Italy.

The small DC motor is another matter since it has been used as a starter motor on small Japanese motor scooters/MC's. It costs only $50, including shipping and replacement brushes sets are an additional $9.95/set.

Removal of the EHCS is relatively simple since the frame does not need to be removed. Remove the skid plate, unplug the electrical connection at the lower right, hold a 9mm open end on the flat of the extended ram(EHCS in up position, please), remove the 13mm nut, remove the 8mm socket bolt at the front of the unit(accessed from the left),and slide the motor/actuator down and fwd. NOTE: For the 8mm bolt, use a 90 degree hex wrench with vise grip on the short leg. Comments from any NW owners of 05+ LT's are appreciated. This situation is of special interest to all who wish to keep their LT's instead of opting for the new 1600GTL.

Terry J Thorpe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Apr 27th, 2011, 1:24 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Bleeding/Flushing fluid in EHCS on 05+ LT's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSQUARED
Is there anyone else in the Northwest in addition to me who has performed this maintenance? BMW has declared this unit as non-serviceable.

Terry J Thorpe
Yes... I just did one in the past month. It is not hard to do. Perhaps we can do a Tech Session for someone this riding season.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (Coming soon!)
2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 26k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles and counting!
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 Old Apr 27th, 2011, 2:15 am

Re: Bleeding/Flushing fluid in EHCS on 05+ LT's

I flush regularly =)

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in