Out On A Ride - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Oct 11th, 2010, 7:57 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Out On A Ride

What's going on back home guys? Nobody riding this past weekend? Pauline and I are leaving Ashland, WI this morning and heading up through Sault St. Marie into Canada and across to Vermont. The colors are beautiful but few because of an early drop here in the upper midwest, but the northeast is just getting started.

We had a little excitement yesterday at a MN rest area heading north to Duluth. Checking the tires at every stop (old habit) and found a nail in the rear tire. Pulled it out and plugged it and only lost 5#'s of pressure. First (almost flat) one in 185k miles on our bike. I'll bet it won't be the last.

tire plugged

What's going on with the rest of you guys?

Ride on!

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (Coming soon!)
2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 26k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles and counting!
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Oct 11th, 2010, 10:51 am

Smile Re: Out On A Ride

Hello Ernie & Pauline! As far as the riding back home here, Saturday was just a solid rain/drizzle, like Oregon weather, ya know? Sunday started out that way, but then turned dryer later on, but some of us were just not excited about riding on the slick pavement plus working on the LT. We did manage to ride just about every day last week though!

Enjoy your ride! Hope the weather cooperates for the rest of your trip.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #3 of 18 Old Oct 11th, 2010, 10:35 pm

Re: Out On A Ride

Hey Ernie, Sounds like another great ride. I am still moving. Almost done though. Ride safe and turn on that spot tracker. As always, call if you need anything.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892

post #4 of 18 Old Oct 11th, 2010, 11:46 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Talking Re: Out On A Ride (Spot Tracker)

Because you asked: Here is a link to my Spot Tracker. select "All" days and see where we've been and where we are.

Tonight we are in Sturgeon Falls, Ontario. It was a welcome stop after leaving Ashland WI and covering over 625 miles today. We are not tuned into the EC time zone yet and still get late starts and ride at night. This is not advised by the locals we've been told; a local couple in a cage were killed this past week hitting a moose. By the time we get the time zone down we will be heading back west.

Tomorrow takes us through Quebec and into Vermont. The colors are really beautiful even though some have been dropping already. VT and NH colors are just getting started so we hope we don't miss them by just a single day. We heard that Killington VT has a tram ride from a resort that is spactacular to see the colors. Is this the same resort that held the CCR this year? Perhaps we'll stay there if it is. If anyone has a recommendation let us know.

Good night from Ontario, CN

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!

post #5 of 18 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 6:27 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
What's going on back home guys? Nobody riding this past weekend? Pauline and I are leaving Ashland, WI this morning and heading up through Sault St. Marie into Canada and across to Vermont. The colors are beautiful but few because of an early drop here in the upper midwest, but the northeast is just getting started.

We had a little excitement yesterday at a MN rest area heading north to Duluth. Checking the tires at every stop (old habit) and found a nail in the rear tire. Pulled it out and plugged it and only lost 5#'s of pressure. First (almost flat) one in 185k miles on our bike. I'll bet it won't be the last.

tire plugged

What's going on with the rest of you guys?

Ernie,

Ride on!
Is this the photo of the plug or the nail head? If the plug, it looks like it needs to be trimmed with a razor to be flush with the surrounding tread. There should be a blade in your kit.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #6 of 18 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 8:25 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Is this the photo of the plug or the nail head? If the plug, it looks like it needs to be trimmed with a razor to be flush with the surrounding tread. There should be a blade in your kit.

The plug is what you see. I just trimmed the larger part and took a picture before trimming the rest of it. Now you can't even see it unless you know what to look for.
Here is the trimming pick since you asked: clicky
Here is the damn nail

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!

post #7 of 18 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 9:09 am

Thats a cute little nail Ernie, Why do I always find the big nails and lag bolts? You are right about the moose up there. Keep an eye out for them. 30 or so years ago upstate NY had a moose that was hit at least a half dozen times before loosing. He was a legend around those parts and they even named him. Can't remember his name now. Visit the 1000 islands area on the Saint Lowrance if you can. I hope the weather holds for you.

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #8 of 18 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 10:00 am

Smile Re: Out On A Ride

Great ride, Ernie and Pauline. I don't know the origin of the nail, but I hope it wasn't what I see often - some contractor who just throws those little suckers into their pickup and they drop out the bottom. Looks like a professionally done plug - wouldn't expect anything else. As Brian says, watch for those moose. In a car, those long legs often result in just bowling them over and they land in your windshield and front seat. Ride safe and bring photos. Color me envious.

Yeah, John - I was at the Oregon Coast cooking for my board meeting and Saturday was no day to ride. A couple of bicycle riders happened into the campground looking for some dry space - looked like drowned rats. They were NOT happy bikers. I didn't see a single motorcycle on the road.

Denny
post #9 of 18 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 11:26 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

We had a real nice day of riding through Ontario and into NY. Rode through Adirondack Park and it got dark. Go figure! My bike clock says it's 3:45 and it gets dark here. It's just not fair that we lost 3 hours of our life getting here.

Tonight we are staying is a cabin in Ticonderoga and will visit the Fort tomorrow. Finding this accomondation is a whole 'nuther story (one of those small world experiences). So was Killington VT worth it? I hear that the colors there are just beautiful! I also hear there is a tram ride that is cool for taking pictures.We might go that way tomorrow.

Sorry to hear of the crappy weather. If it makes you feel better we will be getting pretty wet day after tomorrow. If it isn't bad enough that you got to dodge moose and deer...

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!

post #10 of 18 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 8:24 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
Thats a cute little nail Ernie, Why do I always find the big nails and lag bolts? You are right about the moose up there. Keep an eye out for them. 30 or so years ago upstate NY had a moose that was hit at least a half dozen times before loosing. He was a legend around those parts and they even named him. Can't remember his name now. Visit the 1000 islands area on the Saint Lowrance if you can. I hope the weather holds for you.
Yeah Brian it is a cute little nail. I looked to see if I had more of the little suckers but none exist. Good thing. The moose have stayed away so far. I don't want to see one up close on the bike.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!

post #11 of 18 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 11:10 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Ah yeah, the Adirondacks are a great place to wander on a bike. I also did the route around the lakes through Sault Ste Marie and Duluth this summer, although westbound.

Enjoy the ride, and stay dry.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 18 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 9:30 am

Looks like Ernie and Pauline have stopped in Portland Maine for lobster again. Enjoy them bugs...

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #13 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 9:05 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Looks like Ernie and Pauline have stopped in Portland Maine for lobster again. Enjoy them bugs...
Oh yeah... The lobster was very good! Yummmmm
(From Columbus, OH)

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!

post #14 of 18 Old Oct 26th, 2010, 10:32 pm

Ernie,
Welcome home. I see u pulled in on Saturday. I hope you and Pauline had a great trip. Looking forward to the trip report!

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #15 of 18 Old Oct 27th, 2010, 12:48 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Ernie,
Welcome home. I see u pulled in on Saturday. I hope you and Pauline had a great trip. Looking forward to the trip report!
Thanks Brian,
We rolled in with 7,110 more miles on our wondeerful LT. She performed above expectations and that is saying a lot for all the miles she has carried us. We added 4 more states to the map (and I have to get that updated); CN, RI, WV and IA. The Fall colors and the NE food were outstanding. The vast majority of the bikes on the road in the NE were Beemers. In fact we saw three LT's while we were on the road (SD, WI and PA). We wish we could have connected with some other riders while we were out but that was not to be.
I'll get my pictures together and put a ride report out soon.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!

post #16 of 18 Old Oct 27th, 2010, 11:46 am

Ernie and Pauline,

Glad to hear your trip went so well and you mad it home safe and sound. Its great to know the bike is performing so well, especially with such low miles. I also look forward to your ride report or slide show (hint) soon.

Clayton
2003 K1200LTE 128k miles and counting
1999 GL1500A
2009 R1200GSA
post #17 of 18 Old Oct 27th, 2010, 6:29 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

7,110 miles on a motorcycle? Surely no human can ride that far . . .

Sounds like you had an outstanding trip. Wish we could've joined you . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #18 of 18 Old Oct 28th, 2010, 12:12 am

Garage

Ernie and Pauline,

Congratulations....happy to see that you folks are still pushing the envelope.

Happy riding

Patrick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in