Where's Art - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Sep 9th, 2010, 8:06 pm Thread Starter

Where's Art

I've been having a great time with very loose plans. I ran into a lot of rain yesterday in NC and decided to stop for the day. Of course after I got settled it stopped raining. Today I went to Deals Gap and over The Dragon.

What a kick! The slowest vehicle that I encountered was a Goldwing. He was oblivious. There are plenty of turnouts but no one seems to know how to use them. I ended up passing 2 trucks (one did turn out), a mini cooper, a mini van, the wing and a Harley that casually waved me through.

Since then I've had the GPS set to stay off highways and the roads have been free of traffic for the most part. 70 is a really nice road.

Stopped at Jack Daniels Distillery and looked around. Interesting but had no room for souvenirs.

Tonight I've stopped at Hurricane Mills, TN and will be heading to Mountain Home tomorrow. I'll stop there to visit Mom (in spirit) and then on to Denver. Not sure of the route but need to get there by the start of the Great American Beer Festival. My youngest daughters, boyfriends, dad manages all of the volunteers and so I have an in. Unfortunately his house was one of the ones lost in the Boulder fire. Late 1800's building on a gold mine. Really sad there.

I've not managed to use my camping gear since Dan and Denny left me but what the heck, I'm still having a blast.

Art Kester
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Sep 9th, 2010, 9:09 pm

Re: Where's Art

Good post Art...........you'r tearin' me up here.......still in the work season..........weather up here on the Green River has turned a might crappy today...........not sure how long it'll last so keep a weather eye...............

B-Safe and enjoy the ride..................
post #3 of 14 Old Sep 9th, 2010, 11:59 pm

Art sounds like you are having quite the time. I wish I were with ya. Stay safe,Have fun, And keep us up to date.I will write more later, Its late and I have to get up at 4am for work. Thats another reason I would prefer to be with u.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892

post #4 of 14 Old Sep 10th, 2010, 2:16 pm

Art,

Good to hear that you are having a blast! I hope you have a fun and dry ride from here on out. Enjoy the beer festival and take lots of pictures. We look forward to hearing all about your adventure when you get back.

Dan

Reelman
2006 K1200R (sun yellow)
2003 K1200LT (anthracite) sold
CCR's:
2005 Grand Teton, N.P.
2007 Osage Beach, MO
2008 Midway, UT
2009 Rapid City, SD
2011 Boise, ID
2013 Bend, OR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old Sep 10th, 2010, 7:18 pm

Smile Re: Where's Art

Did you tip your hat for me at Deals Gap? Keep that GS' wheels down and ride like you stole it? Sad about your kin's fire loss - about 150 homes lost so far around Boulder. I presume they told you at the Jack Daniels distillery that they couldn't offer a "taste?" It's in a dry county and in TN tastes are a no-no.

Denny
post #6 of 14 Old Sep 11th, 2010, 7:24 am Thread Starter

It was wet and cold for most of the morning and into the early afternoon. I even crossed a couple of spots in the road that the creeks had overflowed. Got muddy in one spot. My GPS took me on an interesting path. One road was 142 in Missouri. What a hoot. Hills, curves nicely banked, speed limit 55 (except trough little towns). NICE.

After the rain it ended up 96 degrees and of course muggy as hell. Stopped in Mountain Home, Arkansas and will say hi to Mom at the cemetery on my way out towards Denver.

There were 2 houses that did not burn where the fire swept through in Boulder and Danny's house was one of them. His neighbor was the other. They are down in a small canyon and it apparently skipped right over them. I'll probably go up there and take a look.

It looks like I'll at least start my ride in the rain this morning but sure it will get hot later. I don't expect to see much between here and Denver. I think I'll go through Branson just to be able to say that I went through there.

Later all

Art Kester
post #7 of 14 Old Sep 11th, 2010, 9:21 am

Talking Re: Where's Art

Hey Art, wanna trade routes? Nah, never mind. We will be departing Rock Springs, Wyoming at a leisurely pace this morning so as to avoid any frozen bridges. Although it did not get down to freezing here this morning, there are some shaded areas along our slab route that may be considerably cooler!

It really would be a lot more fun to take the smaller slower routes, but since I am not on a Sabbatical like some folks we know, I need to get back home a little sooner! Plus concerns over Katie possibly having any more fuel problems makes the slab seem like a safer route should we need some assistance. So far she's purring like a kitten though, so our fingers are crossed till we roll up into our own garage!

Enjoy the freedom while you can Art cause we got some Bike work ahead of us when you do get back buddy! Wish I was with you, but we gotta get back for that thing called work. So ride safe and take those breaks whenever you feel the need.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 14 Old Sep 11th, 2010, 12:38 pm

John and Marilynn.............

Sorry we missed you..........had we known you were in the neighborhood, we'd a bought you a breakfast.................Jim and Cyndy
post #9 of 14 Old Sep 11th, 2010, 8:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palerider
John and Marilynn.............

Sorry we missed you..........had we known you were in the neighborhood, we'd a bought you a breakfast.................Jim and Cyndy
Jim and Cyndy, Tks very much for your offer! So sorry we did not look for fellow list members in our ride across the states, but we are simply slabbing it in order to get back ASAP. Plus the fact that we were so beat up by the winds between Cheyenne and Rawlins that it was all we could do to simply roll into our hotel in Rock Springs and de-stress from the challenging ride!

We stopped in Boise for the night (since I have reward points that cover the hotel!) to make it two short (400+) days instead of one more long one. Tomorrow is another short ride to our own home. Looking forward to seeing the old homestead again!

If you two decide to ride up our way drop us a PM and we can certainly offer the same type of hospitality to you folks!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

Last edited by AlaskaFish; Sep 11th, 2010 at 8:41 pm.
post #10 of 14 Old Sep 25th, 2010, 10:55 am Thread Starter

I'm back home and except for a flat in Utah that caused me to go to Grand Junction to get a replacement the ride was all great. I did go back down to Bullfrog and went across Burr Trail. What a great ride that was. I would not recommend it on an LT though. I came close to dumping the GSA a few times. And Highway 50 going across Utah and Nevada was pretty interesting as well. It is no wonder they call it the loneliest highway. The cool air made up for the strong cross winds

I'd love to do a 12K on the bike and then head south but I think Nike is expecting me to come back to work on Tuesday. Just 5 more years until my next sabbatical

Art Kester
post #11 of 14 Old Sep 25th, 2010, 11:29 am

Art,

Great to hear you are back safe and sound. What an awesome trip. Hope we can hear all about it soon. Welcome back!

Dan

Reelman
2006 K1200R (sun yellow)
2003 K1200LT (anthracite) sold
CCR's:
2005 Grand Teton, N.P.
2007 Osage Beach, MO
2008 Midway, UT
2009 Rapid City, SD
2011 Boise, ID
2013 Bend, OR

post #12 of 14 Old Sep 25th, 2010, 6:08 pm

As we PM'd this morning, you're "it" to lead the arm chair tour for the rest of us. Isn't the Burr Trail great? What did you think of Capitol Reef National Park?

Denny

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelman
Art,

Great to hear you are back safe and sound. What an awesome trip. Hope we can hear all about it soon. Welcome back!

Dan
post #13 of 14 Old Sep 25th, 2010, 10:08 pm

Art,

Glad you made it back in one piece. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip, would love to see some of your pictures soon, as denny mentioned already.I look forward to visit with everyone sooooooon.

Clayton
2003 K1200LTE 128k miles and counting
1999 GL1500A
2009 R1200GSA
post #14 of 14 Old Sep 26th, 2010, 5:55 pm

Clayton -

You have to bring your "tour" along as well. Looking forward to hearing about your rambling around Colorado.

Denny

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton
Art,

Glad you made it back in one piece. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip, would love to see some of your pictures soon, as denny mentioned already.I look forward to visit with everyone sooooooon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in