Where Are You Riding Today? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 10:10 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Where Are You Riding Today?

Now that I'm done with rally riding for the year the fuel cell is removed, and the trunk is back on, we are 2-up today for a ride to southern Oregon for the day. Where might you be riding to today?

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (Coming soon!)
2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 26k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles and counting!
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 10:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Where Are You Riding Today?

I went to the Woodward Dream Cruise this morning before it got too crazy. For those that don't know what that is, it's where everyone brings their old cars or what ever out for a cruise on Woodward avenue from about 9 mile in Ferndale Mi all the way to Pontiac Mi.

I was there by 8:30 am and already there were lots of old cars out and more parked by the side of the road.

Chuck
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
2009 BMW K1200LT
post #3 of 19 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 10:57 am

Ernie,
Wish I were taking a ride with you guys but I will be stuck doing Teak work all weekend. Enjoy the ride.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892

post #4 of 19 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 4:50 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
Ernie,
Wish I were taking a ride with you guys but I will be stuck doing Teak work all weekend. Enjoy the ride.
Some "home maintenance" huh? All this time we've known ya and we've never been to your floating casa. I guess we'll have to just drop in on you some time.
;-)

We are at a picnic with some southern Oregon co-workers. Very relaxing day. BBQ starts in about an hour. Yummmmmm

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!

post #5 of 19 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 6:03 pm

A 300 mile ride in the desert Southwest for about 50 miles of interesting riding (Alamagordo to Cloudcroft, Cloudcroft to Ruidoso). And the 100 miles back were in 95 degree heat.

The comjpany was good when we stopped to eat; got to work on some small riding techniques, but at my advanced age, riding in the heat is not salubrious!
post #6 of 19 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 9:47 pm

I just got home from riding to Colorado and what a great ride, rode all the mountain passes and even up to top of Mt Evans. Total miles 4550.

Clayton
2003 K1200LTE 128k miles and counting
1999 GL1500A
2009 R1200GSA
post #7 of 19 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 11:01 pm

Unhappy Re: Where Are You Riding Today?

We were hoping to be in Helena tonight, but that didn't happen because of a Kamikaze pheasant on Hwy 12 between Kennewick & Clarkston. See my post in the CCR Forum "Bird Strike" for the gory details folks. Marilyn is a trooper! And except for the huge shiner and swelling, it looks like she will be OK. Tomorrow will tell us more. She did get a new helmet out of the deal!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #8 of 19 Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 6:49 am

Heading out in 30 minutes to head to Ozark Alabama, my 2nd home for the next 3-6 months. While there last week I made a trip for dinner down to Panama City Beach. Never been before and it was a nice place to RTE.

Travel safe.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #9 of 19 Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 7:02 am

My wife and I, she on her ninja 250, rode the back and beautiful routes up to Iowa City for a day of dining and shopping. Then after some great sushi, rode home by a quicker route to Fairfield.
On the way up, our favorite road, Riverside, was great because there were no gravel spots on the many tight curves so we could pretty much do what we wanted.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #10 of 19 Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 7:41 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton
I just got home from riding to Colorado and what a great ride, rode all the mountain passes and even up to top of Mt Evans. Total miles 4550.
Oh yeah! Mt. Evans... I was at the top of the Mt. last week on the SPANK Raly (Threaded bonus of riding the lowest point is NA, Badwater DV to highest paved summit) and what a trip it was! The wind was killer! How was it for you? I'm glad you had a safe trip.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!

post #11 of 19 Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 7:44 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
We were hoping to be in Helena tonight, but that didn't happen because of a Kamikaze pheasant on Hwy 12 between Kennewick & Clarkston. See my post in the CCR Forum "Bird Strike" for the gory details folks. Marilyn is a trooper! And except for the huge shiner and swelling, it looks like she will be OK. Tomorrow will tell us more. She did get a new helmet out of the deal!

John
Geesh that was a close call. Sure glad your experience kept you both safe in the long run. Pass our best on to Marilyn and ride safe the rest of the way. Sure wish we were at CCR this year. Can't wait for next year though!

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!

post #12 of 19 Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 2:42 pm

Ernie, when I was at the top of Mt Evans the wind was howling and 42 degrees.It was amazing and there were lots of mountain goats hanging around looking to get there pictures taken.

Clayton
1999 GL1500A
2009 R1200GSA
post #13 of 19 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 7:51 pm

Smile Re: Where Are You Riding Today?

Let's see, the 21st? Dan, Art and I were crossing the Canadian border at Osoyoos enroute to Banff , Calgary, and Glacier NP. From Glacier Art headed east to CCR and Dan and I west through Northern Idaho crossing the border again to do the Selkirk Loop - including the ferry at the very upper end - before crossing into the US again at the Metaline border crossing. We camped last night along the Yakima River and got home today about 2 PM. Construction on the Going To The Sun highway in Glacier NP left semi-concrete all over the undercarriage of the GT and it took me two hours to clean it up. That said, the scenery was fantastic. Dan and I got in about 2100 miles.

Denny
post #14 of 19 Old Aug 28th, 2010, 5:13 pm

today I'm in Nipigon, ONT. Got tired and pulled in a little motel on 17. It is a bit warm but not bad. After a while of looking at Lake Superior it gets boring. I explored some of the dirt roads and even looked for a little bakery. GPS took me about 13 miles on dirt and when she told me approaching on the right all there was, was more trees. That kind of cracked me up but did not get me any coffee. Going into Canada was a breeze but the main roads are really boring.

Going to go find some food now. Tomorrow I'll creep closer to Killington, VT

Art Kester
post #15 of 19 Old Aug 28th, 2010, 5:22 pm

Art,

My GPS has done this to me more than a few times good luck finding food,just don't follow the GPS.

Clayton
1999 GL1500A
2009 R1200GSA
post #16 of 19 Old Aug 28th, 2010, 8:22 pm

Talking Re: Where Are You Riding Today?

Well, we're in Killington! Arrived about 5:30 this evening in absolutely beautiful weather! Needed the break after riding through Montreal Quebec! The traffic, on a Saturday, was horrific! And the main bridge across the St Lawrence was under construction for the weekend, and was a parking lot for miles! We ended up hopping off that mess after about 20 minutes of stop and go before we even got to the main portion of the bridge! Ended up taking a different bridge to the North which was grated the whole way, and still loved it after the jam up on the Champlain bridge!

Oh yeah, did I mention that I had another load of bad fuel? Ended up pulling the tank at a Gas Station in Sudbury Ontario and replacing the fuel filter after dumping the remainder of the bad stuff. Bike ran great the rest of the way here.

Note for Art if you read this: Avoid Montreal at all costs! And we'll have a cold one waiting for ya in Killington! The rest of you folks are welcome to one as well, just knock on the door when ya get here! Hee hee!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #17 of 19 Old Aug 28th, 2010, 9:18 pm

I think that I'll go through Ottawa somewhere. Glad that you finally got there and you can relax for just a bit. It had to have been a frustrating trip.

Art Kester
post #18 of 19 Old Aug 28th, 2010, 11:49 pm

Smile Re: Where Are You Riding Today?

Arrived on the other side of Lake Simcoe, Ontario for a few days of R & R.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #19 of 19 Old Sep 4th, 2010, 10:28 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

We did a little ride around town from bike shop to bike shop doing some gear shopping for Pauline. Got a good deal at Wingman on some First gear overpants and Gerbing gloves at 45% off (on the closeouts) at BMWWO Tigard. Not a bad day to drive around either; most everyone was out of town for the holiday weekend.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in