My 2 minutes of celebrity - Seattle TV appearance - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Aug 13th, 2010, 8:04 pm Thread Starter

Cool My 2 minutes of celebrity - Seattle TV appearance

Well, I'm letting you all know, as I promised in an earlier thread, that the short clip about my photography airs on Seattle's Evening Magazine TV show next Wed., Aug. 18th at 7PM (Pacific) on King 5. I also expect it to be on the web afterwards, and I'll post a link once I have one - for anyone outside this area who's interested.

Have a great weekend (and stay cool)!

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Aug 19th, 2010, 11:47 am Thread Starter

Re: My 2 minutes of celebrity - Seattle TV appearance

OK, here's a link to the little TV "story" Seattle's Evening Magazine broadcast last night about my photography:

http://www.king5.com/on-tv/evening-m...101033094.html
(Click on the little square at bottom right corner to make it full screen.)

I was really self-conscious (being my first time on TV) , but I think they did a nice job, and I was happy that they mentioned ICSF by name - hopefully that will garner some donations!

Just for the record, I did NOT suggest "staring down" sharks (as the reporter says in his closing remarks)! I simply said that, with small sharks, often if you just looked straight at them, they will veer away because they seem able to see your eyes (I guess he felt a need to spice that up a little!).

)

(photography)

(new blog)

2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
post #3 of 13 Old Aug 19th, 2010, 11:56 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Very cool Bruce.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 13 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 8:12 am
cws

Garage

Fantastic shots Bruce, and what a wonderfully charitable attitude you have to the use of your material....
Regardless of your comment in that clip, you have a very creative eye as proven by those shots.
I work with many talented people in the digital/film industry (in a technical capacity), and what I saw on that clip is well up with the kind of amazing stuff some of those people can produce.
Thanks for sharing, ever so humbly...!

cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 13 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 8:58 am

Great write up Bruce.........interesting hobby and wonderful charity........Good on ya'.....
post #6 of 13 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 9:27 am

WOW!!!!!! Way to go!

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #7 of 13 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 11:01 am
Old Dawg

That is great stuff Bruce, I think you did great. Congratulations!

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #8 of 13 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 11:58 am
Super Moderator

Awesome piece, Bruce, Congrats!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #9 of 13 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 12:24 pm

Congratulations Bruce! I am so proud to know someone who is of note. Great job!!

Larry Norris
99 K1200LTC w/custom trailer (Champ)
Olympia, WA
post #10 of 13 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 1:15 pm

Bruce,

A really nice interview and some great shots, especially the Jaw fish! They are one of my favorites and it's really unusual to catch them with eggs in their mouth. The ones I normally see are spitting out rocks!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 13 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 2:58 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words about my photography, and for saying I didn't come across on TV as a total doofus.

As for the charitable side of it, that developed years ago when people began wanting to buy prints of some of my photos, and I decided that I could use my hobby to do some good. I was drawn to this particular charity (www.icsfoundation.org) because of my travels while diving. I've spent months in "third world" countries (e.g., Indonesia and Papua New Guinea) where people still live in huts with dirt floors and live hand to mouth and day to day, with little medical care and life expectancies in the forties. And yet the children in such places are universally beautiful, joyous and act like, well, "kids". Several times, children have lined up just for the "honor" of getting to shake my (and the others in my groups) hands. The fact that such a little thing has so much meaning to them is both touching and humbling. Having identified an organization with practically no overhead that performs surgery on children in such areas who are/were destined to spend life as social outcasts because of facial burns or other deformities, and that literally gives them a chance at a "normal" life, it is deeply rewarding to be able to use my photography to help with that endeavor.

Sorry if I sound preachy, but those of you who've attended CCRs over the years and seen the wonderful work being done by the youth/children's charities we've supported know that it is especially rewarding to do something that gives children a shot at happy, rather than ruined or wasted, lives. This is very much the same thing.

)

(photography)

(new blog)

2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

post #12 of 13 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 3:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
A really nice interview and some great shots, especially the Jaw fish! They are one of my favorites and it's really unusual to catch them with eggs in their mouth. The ones I normally see are spitting out rocks!
Dan - I can REALLY relate! They're usually doing "housecleaning" (moving sand and rubble) around the entrance of their holes. This is the second trip on which I've spent hours swimming from one jawfish to another looking for one with eggs in its mouth (say "Ahhh" please!). Since they only have eggs a fraction of the time, and all tend to have eggs at the same time, you usually either see lots with eggs or none. On this trip, I had the dive guide take me numerous places with lots of jawfish, and we both searched and searched. We had about given up. On the last day of diving and on the last dive of the afternoon, we FINALLY found ONE! I spent the rest of the dive (about a half hour) parked a few feet away snapping shot after shot (you can see a few more shots at http://www.underwaterreflections.com/Underwater/Cayman-Islands-2010/12472358_iNoGP#893608523_YDx82 ).

)

(photography)

(new blog)

2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

post #13 of 13 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 3:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Bruce,
Really, really great photography! I don't have the artistic talent but once in a while get a great shot (thanks to digital technology) and don't have to worry about burning up film.

Hope to meet you at CCR Killington. The only other celebrity I know is Michael Douglas. He was a year ahead of me in school when I did a summer of performing arts. I was the sound and lighting geek!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in