Highway Pegs - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Aug 13th, 2010, 12:36 pm Thread Starter

Highway Pegs

Hey guys, I met up with Kevin (KRA961) this week in University Place to see his new Russell seat. Nice seat, and Kevin is a great guy we hung out and talked bikes for about an hour after work. He had the 3M Scotchguard Invisible Mask, and I am sold. I will order a set. What I learned from this meeting is to find someone with the accesories you are interested in before you buy, saves time and money. I know I need a new seat (Mine hurts my right hip and just tortures my privates) after too long in the saddle. I have seen Kevins Russell and it sure was comforatable but Kevin is much taller that me and the wings on the seat did not allow me to put my feet down without shimmying up closer to the cockpit. This may be an ok tradeoff because the seat is so good, but I will wait to make a decision until I sample a few more seats. He also had a modification that lowered his footpegs, pretty cool, because of his height I think a great mod, I would consider it but I am not as tall and more important to me was a way to stretch my legs out on a longer trip and get some relief for my knee. I have searched the forums here, Mick o Pegs, J Pegs, Ottomans, etc. My question is. Does anyone in the Puget Sound Area have any of these Highway pegs installed? I sure would like to meet up with you and take a look, I dont want to make the wrong choice. It's always fun to see what mods and ideas another has for this bike, looking forward to meeting any of you, me and Kevin are talking about going on a short ride this summer, maybe we can meet some of you. I will be doing the Isle of Vashon the end of the month, I will keep my eyes open for some of you.
Steve

Steve B.
2009 K1200LT
2005 NRX18EB
1983 CB1000 Custom
1975 CB400 Four Super Sport
1977 CB400 Four Super Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Aug 13th, 2010, 3:13 pm

Re: Highway Pegs

Hi Steve,

I have had two Russell seats and they were great. The wings did get is my way a little bit on the R1150GSA I had. A few of us just visited Richís Custom Seats in Kingston for new seats and modifications of an existing seat. I havenít taken any real long trips with mine yet, but I sure like what I have seen (and felt) so far. Whatever seat you choose, I highly recommend that you ride in and have the seat fitted to you as they make it. Rich really tries to accommodate your unique dimensions and so does Russell, although I think to a lesser degree. Donít forget that there is a lower seat for the LT. Sometimes you can pick one up used at a good price.

Iíll let others comment on the pegs except to say that I lowered my riding pegs on my LT and found that I scraped in corners rather routinely with my stock suspension. If I had kept my LT a little longer I think I would have put the stock pegs back on.

Good luck with your search. If you are ever down this way, be sure to let us know. Also watch for our chowder runs to Long Beach.

Dan

Reelman
2006 K1200R (sun yellow)
2003 K1200LT (anthracite) sold
CCR's:
2005 Grand Teton, N.P.
2007 Osage Beach, MO
2008 Midway, UT
2009 Rapid City, SD
2011 Boise, ID
2013 Bend, OR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Aug 13th, 2010, 4:08 pm Thread Starter

Love the Chowder! Count me in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelman
Hi Steve,

I have had two Russell seats and they were great. The wings did get is my way a little bit on the R1150GSA I had. A few of us just visited Richís Custom Seats in Kingston for new seats and modifications of an existing seat. I havenít taken any real long trips with mine yet, but I sure like what I have seen (and felt) so far. Whatever seat you choose, I highly recommend that you ride in and have the seat fitted to you as they make it. Rich really tries to accommodate your unique dimensions and so does Russell, although I think to a lesser degree. Donít forget that there is a lower seat for the LT. Sometimes you can pick one up used at a good price.

Iíll let others comment on the pegs except to say that I lowered my riding pegs on my LT and found that I scraped in corners rather routinely with my stock suspension. If I had kept my LT a little longer I think I would have put the stock pegs back on.

Good luck with your search. If you are ever down this way, be sure to let us know. Also watch for our chowder runs to Long Beach.

Dan

Steve B.
2009 K1200LT
2005 NRX18EB
1983 CB1000 Custom

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 6th, 2010, 11:56 am

I have the Mick-O-Pegs and Russell Seat.

I am not overly fond of the Mick-O-Pegs when used both-at-once. I do find I like to use one at at time when I want to stretch a leg.

I like my Russell Seat, but it was made for a guy much larger than me. The wings of the seat get in my way too. I look forward to having a new seat made in Summer 2011.

Bellingham, WA
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 5:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil4569
I have the Mick-O-Pegs and Russell Seat.

I am not overly fond of the Mick-O-Pegs when used both-at-once. I do find I like to use one at at time when I want to stretch a leg.

I like my Russell Seat, but it was made for a guy much larger than me. The wings of the seat get in my way too. I look forward to having a new seat made in Summer 2011.

Bellingham, WA
With the 'new seat' you may find that will improve your experience with your Mick-O-Pegs. Because Russell uses the 'wings' idea, it does affect things by having your feet lower.

When you're comfortable...Riding Is Wonderful

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Joyfully, MOPMan (Jim Mick)
post #6 of 9 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 10:12 am

Smile Re: Highway Pegs

+1 on Reelman's post. I was one of our band of 3 that traveled to Rich's and have a few thousand miles on my custom seat - well worth it. Rich's has a small apartment over their shop you can stay in for a reasonable price (has bathroom, separate rooms, kitchen, etc.) and space if you want to camp. For campers they have a bathroom and shower room as well. Staying overnight gets you in first thing in the morning and out that same day. As Dan has said, riding in for a custom fitting is the key to getting what you want. You can get in touch with Rich's at 360-881-0881 or toll free at 866-328-9774. They are located in Kingston, WA.

Denny
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 8:03 am
Lifetime Supporter

I hear good things about Rich's seats as well. They look great too. I have a Rick Meyer seat with a lot of miles on it and it is very comfortable. I have "J" pegs on my bike 'XL" version. If you want help installing them let me know. You can ride down to Portland and I'll teach you how to do it. Check with Raffy and see if he still has some for sale. The J pegs are not only functional but look good too.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (Coming soon!)
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles and counting!
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #8 of 9 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 9:10 pm

I have a Rick Mayer seat and a set of MOPs on my 05. I don't believe the ottoman pegs are still being made. I had a set of standard J-pegs on my 03 when I bought it and never really like them as they put me outside the "envelope" when riding at speed and I felt I was having my pelvis examined... On the other hand I love the MOPs, although I use them less now that I have the Rick Mayer seat, but are still nice to have when i need to stretch on long rides.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #9 of 9 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 3:21 pm Thread Starter

Well I found a Corbin seat on Craigslist in Madison, WI. Good looking seat and installed fairly easily except that the wire connecting the heated seat to the bike had 9 Zip ties! What a pain. I sat on the seat and it was very spacious and comforatable, however when I went for a ride I found that I was on my Tip Toes when I was stopped. It was very uncomforatable and I felt as though it would be easy to drop the bike under certain circumstances. Well, another member on this board had a low version of the Corbin seat and it was to low for him. We both packed em up and swapped. The low version installed right on my bike despite many postings and even Corbin saying I would have to do some trimming. It is not as big or heavy as the standard but I can stand almost flat footed with the bike at a stop. As soon as I can I will try and get some riding in to see if it is comforatable on a longer ride. Still have not settled on Pegs/Floorboards. I have not been able to actually see/feel them on other bikes yet. I hope to run into a few of you this summer and check out what you are using before I make a purchase.
Cheers
Steve

Steve B.
2009 K1200LT
2005 NRX18EB
1983 CB1000 Custom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in