Chief Joseph anyone? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 10:37 am Thread Starter

Chief Joseph anyone?

Ia anybody heading out to the rally in John Day? Some camping, A few beers, and great roads sound pretty good right now. Who is in? Maybe Denny could show up with that new machine of his.......

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 1:18 pm

Re: Chief Joseph anyone?

New machine? I thought that I felt a disturbance emanating from the Ridgefield area. Maybe I had better tag along on this one. That is if I can remember how to ride. I have a feeling that keeping up with Denny is going to be brutal.

What day do you think you are going to be heading south Brian?

Reelman
2006 K1200R (sun yellow)
2003 K1200LT (anthracite) sold
CCR's:
2005 Grand Teton, N.P.
2007 Osage Beach, MO
2008 Midway, UT
2009 Rapid City, SD
2011 Boise, ID
2013 Bend, OR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 2:29 pm

Talking Re: Chief Joseph anyone?

Count me in Brian! Especially if it means we get to see a new machine with Denny on board all the better! I believe Art is also planning to attend, but I will let him chime in for himself here. I'm pretty sure we are hitting the road Thursday morning to set up camp Thursday night, then departing Sunday to get back here in time for work Monday.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 2:57 pm

I am planning on being there. I keep meaning to register but haven't managed to do so yet. I have even bought a new tent. I don't have a new bike though. What the heck Denny. You have to fill us in.

Art Kester
post #5 of 25 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 11:14 pm

Arrow Re: Chief Joseph anyone?

I'm planning on Chief Joseph as well, and on a new ride. What's that about riding back Sunday to "work" on Monday - what's that work stuff anyway?!!? Someone bring an atlas and we can plan our VT ride.

Denny
post #6 of 25 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 1:24 am

Red face Re: Chief Joseph anyone?

I truly miss the John Day Rally, it was always one of my favorites, especially when Judy's mom was still with us. I will probably be thru there collecting Grand Tour checkpoints in July after the Redmond rally.
Tip one(or two) in John Day for me, I'll be thinking about you guys.
Jeff

06 GT "MitchRider" 55,XXX Miles of Smiles!
02 LT Semi-Retired & 155,XXX Miles of Great Memories
BBG, B2B, 100CCC, Four Corners, SS3000, SS5000

"Part of getting older is that you spend less time waiting for things and realize that road time is finite; one starts to relish every ride, every day now as a gift."
post #7 of 25 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 1:28 pm

Count me in, due to my class schedule I won't be able to arrive until early Saturday morning about 10 am. Looking forward to see everyone and carving up some of those great roads.

Clayton
2003 K1200LTE 128k miles and counting
1999 GL1500A
2009 R1200GSA
post #8 of 25 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 6:43 pm

When is this?
post #9 of 25 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 7:45 pm

Wink Re: Chief Joseph anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
When is this?
June 17 – 20, 2010

Grant County Fairgrounds, John Day Oregon

Check here Frank:
http://bmwro.org/chief-joseph-rally/

It is a fun Rally, especially if you are into tenting. Motel space may be limited.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #10 of 25 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 8:34 pm

Well crap!!! I'd love to swing over and meet some of you guys, but I'm leaving, tentitively, on the 19th for Utah, Colo., Wy etc. If that changes, I'll make it over.
Thanks,
Frank
post #11 of 25 Old Jun 12th, 2010, 12:10 am

So who is heading out when? What roads you taking? We're leaving Thursday morning, should be there that afternoon. I may have another GS rider in tow from my work who has not been before, so you folks will have to be on your best behavior now!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #12 of 25 Old Jun 12th, 2010, 11:57 am

Question Re: Chief Joseph anyone?

Dan and I are talking about when on Thursday - more today. When are you and Art (and the GS rider) heading out and what route? We could tie in with you in Portland or along the way for lunch?

Denny
post #13 of 25 Old Jun 12th, 2010, 6:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by avonfloater
Dan and I are talking about when on Thursday - more today. When are you and Art (and the GS rider) heading out and what route? We could tie in with you in Portland or along the way for lunch?

Denny
Well. unfortunately, it looks like Art will not be able to make the trip due to his Dad,s heart condition. Dayamit!! But Dave, my other GS friend and I will still be heading out sometime Thursday AM. I need to talk to him about it Monday when I will see him at work, and we can discuss plans Monday evening probably.

Do you and Dan have suggestions on when to depart and what roads to ride out? We were sort of leaning toward 26 for most of the trip ourselves. How is that new steed Denny?

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #14 of 25 Old Jun 12th, 2010, 8:02 pm

Sorry to hear about Art’s situation. We’ll keep you and your father in our thoughts, Art.

I’ll throw out a suggestion and say we meet in Madras. There is a Black Bear Diner right on 4th street (southbound) or there is a Dairy Queen on 5th street (northbound). Any other ideas…?

Dan

Reelman
2006 K1200R (sun yellow)
2003 K1200LT (anthracite) sold
CCR's:
2005 Grand Teton, N.P.
2007 Osage Beach, MO
2008 Midway, UT
2009 Rapid City, SD
2011 Boise, ID
2013 Bend, OR

post #15 of 25 Old Jun 12th, 2010, 11:57 pm

Smile Re: Chief Joseph anyone?

Sorry Art that you won't be able to GS with us to John Day - bummer, but it's the right thing to do.

I like the way you think, Dan! John - Dan and I talked about taking Hwy 14 to Hood River and Hwy 35 up the back side of Mt. Hood to Hwy 26 and Madras. You could join us for the ride to Madras or we could meet you there and follow Dan's plan for lunch and DQ. Let's talk Monday. Are you riding the Triumph? Brian and companion(s) will be riding over the hump and joining us in John Day.

I like the new ride - still adjusting, but now have about 1500 miles under my butt and so far it's fine as frog hair. John - I'm anxious to see you in John Day so we can do the valves!!!!

Denny
post #16 of 25 Old Jun 13th, 2010, 12:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by avonfloater
Sorry Art that you won't be able to GS with us to John Day - bummer, but it's the right thing to do.

I like the way you think, Dan! John - Dan and I talked about taking Hwy 14 to Hood River and Hwy 35 up the back side of Mt. Hood to Hwy 26 and Madras. You could join us for the ride to Madras or we could meet you there and follow Dan's plan for lunch and DQ. Let's talk Monday. Are you riding the Triumph? Brian and companion(s) will be riding over the hump and joining us in John Day.

I like the new ride - still adjusting, but now have about 1500 miles under my butt and so far it's fine as frog hair. John - I'm anxious to see you in John Day so we can do the valves!!!!

Denny
I'll see how Dave is as far as routing Denny. Madras would be an easy meeting point if we don't join you guys for the ride around the back side up there. And yes, I am riding the Tiger! Just finished fine tuning her today after having adjusted the valves last weekend. She is purring just fine now, but not sure on the mileage we're getting yet.

5 days to launch!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #17 of 25 Old Jun 13th, 2010, 11:17 am Thread Starter

Nick and I will be heading out Thursday morning. Should be there before dinner. Save us a couple prime tent sites. Sorry about your dad Art. I hope he gets better. You will be missed.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #18 of 25 Old Jun 13th, 2010, 1:58 pm

My plans have changed a little and should be there Friday early evening, trying to get my friend Lance to join me for the trip down. He is tring to get the time off but if not I'll ride solo down. Look forward to seeing everyone.

Art, sorry to hear about your Father. Hope all goes well I know what yuor family is going through. I have been through this with my Father some time back.

Clayton
2003 K1200LTE 128k miles and counting
1999 GL1500A
2009 R1200GSA
post #19 of 25 Old Jun 13th, 2010, 2:06 pm

I will indeed miss this one. Dad is out of the hospital but his new medications are causing him to be disoriented and a bit confused. I'll know more about what I need to do for him after seeing his primary and cardiologist. Unfortunately that won't happen until the Monday/Tuesday after Chief Joseph.

I'm not writing off the rest of the summer yet but there is potential that this will be a lost summer.

Art Kester
post #20 of 25 Old Jun 13th, 2010, 2:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Sorry to hear that your dad is doing porly Art. My dad goes in Thursday for a new knee that should help in his physical re-hab. I will be staying close to home too. In case someone got the time can they drop in for a visit to this Rally? It is just a part day ride out and back from town.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (Coming soon!)
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles and counting!
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #21 of 25 Old Jun 13th, 2010, 3:43 pm

Smile Re: Chief Joseph anyone?

We'll work it out somehow, Ernie. Y'all come! Best wishes for your dad's knee surgery and re-hab - same for you Art. Fingers and toes crossed.

Denny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
Sorry to hear that your dad is doing porly Art. My dad goes in Thursday for a new knee that should help in his physical re-hab. I will be staying close to home too. In case someone got the time can they drop in for a visit to this Rally? It is just a part day ride out and back from town.
post #22 of 25 Old Jun 14th, 2010, 11:39 am

Wink Re: Chief Joseph anyone?

OK gang, I talked to Dave (the GS rider) and he agrees that we should keep things liesurely if possible. So we are looking at a 10:00 AM departure Thursday, which should put us in Madras around 12:30 to 1:00 PM for a late lunch stop. There is a nice Black Bear Diner right on 97 S if Dan and Denny (and anyone else in the area!) would like to join us there.

And for us folks, Madras is just about the halfway point, so we're looking at a nice liesure 3 Hr ride from there to John Day according to the Google directions:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

So what say ye all? We can probably massage it a little if need be, but let's talk!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #23 of 25 Old Jun 16th, 2010, 12:03 pm

If you guys are meeting in Madras, I'd love to ride out and have lunch with you. Time? And if you're looking for a fun ride from Madras to John Day, consider taking Antelope to Fossil, onto Hwy 19 and back into Hwy 26 just west of John Day. Awesome scenery and fun ride.
A word of caution though, the local deputy out there love writing bikes, so be careful.
post #24 of 25 Old Jun 16th, 2010, 1:33 pm

Hey Frank, Tks for the route tip! We may just do that. Meanwhile, we have reviewed our plans and decided (after a phone discussion with Denny) to move up our departure time a couple of hours. So, if we get out of here (Hillsboro) by 8:00 instead of 10:00 AM, we should be in Madras by 11:00 AM. The plan is still to meet up at the Black Bear Diner, but we may choose to just ride on rather than sitting down for lunch. That depends on how the stomach growls are going at that time!

Hope to see you there! Look for a mix of Bikes:
- '95 Black Triumph Tiger (me)
- '0? BMW R1200GS (Dave)
- '0? BMW K1200GT (Denny)
- '0? Yellow & Black BMW K1200R (Dan)

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
If you guys are meeting in Madras, I'd love to ride out and have lunch with you. Time? And if you're looking for a fun ride from Madras to John Day, consider taking Antelope to Fossil, onto Hwy 19 and back into Hwy 26 just west of John Day. Awesome scenery and fun ride.
A word of caution though, the local deputy out there love writing bikes, so be careful.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #25 of 25 Old Jun 16th, 2010, 2:02 pm

OK! And if you did decide to take the back route, we nearly always stop in Fossil, and (I think) the Big Timber Cafe for lunch. Small place, nice folks, pretty good eats. And if you're into really old cemeteries, the one in Fossil is worth walking through. Interesting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in