Cutaway socket? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 20th, 2010, 11:48 pm Thread Starter

Cutaway socket?

Does anyone in the Portland metro area have the cutaway socket used to remove/replace the pivot arm nuts during the weep hole drilling procedure who would be willing to lend it to me for a couple days? (Has anyone ever seen a longer run-on question?)

I have the next 6 days off work and thought this would be an excellent little project. I would be glad to pick it up and deliver it back to you at your convenience.

Thanks in advance,

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 21st, 2010, 12:22 am

Wink Re: Cutaway socket?

Yes. Actually there are two of us in the Portland area with the cutaway 30 mm sockets! Ernie A and myself to be exact. I'll go ahead and toss mine (which Ernie machined for us by the way!) along with the 12 mm Allen wrench in my backpack tonight and have it at work tomorrow Loren. If you want to give us a phone # via PM or e-mail we can give you a call sometime tomorrow and arrange a meeting for the hand-off.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AlaskaFish; May 21st, 2010 at 12:33 am.
post #3 of 4 Old May 22nd, 2010, 9:09 am

Arrow Re: Cutaway socket?

Now that would be a good tech session, Loren. Any interest in extra hands or opportunities to watch?

Denny
Ridgefield, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Does anyone in the Portland metro area have the cutaway socket used to remove/replace the pivot arm nuts during the weep hole drilling procedure who would be willing to lend it to me for a couple days? (Has anyone ever seen a longer run-on question?)

I have the next 6 days off work and thought this would be an excellent little project. I would be glad to pick it up and deliver it back to you at your convenience.

Thanks in advance,

Loren

post #4 of 4 Old May 23rd, 2010, 10:02 am Thread Starter

Re: Cutaway socket?

I wish I had seen your post before I started the job. It turned out to be a fairly easy with the help of the video and the written process. It took about 3-4 hours but the next one would definitely go faster. I would be glad to host a tech session one of these weekends for this or other projects. I have a 3 car garage (I could free up 2 bays) a/c for the warmer days, heat from the dryer vent pipe for those coldest days and good florescent lighting for the dark days/evenings. I also have a m/c lift, Traeger grill, garage refrigerator etc. All the creature comforts!

I would be interested in helping with a 12 K service but would like to have an experienced hand available for the valve clearance check/adjust the first time.

During a good long day we should be able to:

Fluids change
Crankcase oil/filter
Gearbox & Final Drive fluid change
Radiator fluid

Clean/lube shifter mechanism
Change air/fuel filters
Drill weep hole
Replace quick disconnects

Other projects of note might be:

Wire and install additional lights (fog/driving)
Install led lighting for the wind deflectors (I really like this mod)
Install HID lighting
Change instrument cluster lamps (change color, LED's etc.)
Modify speedometer to correct for speed error

Check pre-load on final drive

There seems to be plenty of expertise in the PDX area to coach these changes.

So..... We need to pick a weekend, find a bike(s) to use, make sure experts are available, make sure parts are available and wait for time to pass.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by avonfloater
Now that would be a good tech session, Loren. Any interest in extra hands or opportunities to watch?

Denny
Ridgefield, WA

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in