5X5 Interest - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 12:17 am Thread Starter

Question 5X5 Interest

Now that it's 2006 and we are about seven months out, I would like to know what sort of real interest there is for participation in the 5X5 I proposed last year.

"The Nickel Squared Poker Run"

5 rides on 5 days to 5 towns in 5 states to draw 5 cards.

California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, & Nevada

Sept 18-22. Entry: $25 per hand per rider and/or pillion

Top Hand: $300 or half the entry fees whichever is greater.

Open to all riders, all makes, all years, all ages. Riding buddies encouraged.

I would be happy to plan and organize the project if there is solid interest and commitment to make it happen. Half the proceeds will be donated to a registered charity. If you do the math, this would require a minimum of 24 paid participants. All other expenses for the ride would be your responsibility.

I have a framework ready to initiate with approprite interest levels. Please send me a PM before Feb 28th if you'd participate.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"

Last edited by DavidTaylor; Mar 1st, 2006 at 12:55 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 12:32 am
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up Might Be Fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho
"The Nickel Squared Poker Run"
5 rides on 5 days to 5 towns in 5 states to draw 5 cards.
California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, & Nevada
I might not have enough time for the format, butt if the distances were do-able for a 3-day ride I just might have to join you for part of it. We'll have to see when the time gets a little closer and your plan comes together. Thanks for putting together the ride. (BTW: I'm assuming it is a "ride your own ride" with some form of appropriate liability disclaimer?)

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #3 of 11 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 12:16 pm Thread Starter

Lightbulb 5x5

At this stage, I can adjust the format every which way. Doesn't have to be five days during the week or a Poker Run for that matter. Perhaps start on a weekend? First card Friday night, last card on a Tuesday? It could happen.

Bob Morrow #4204

post #4 of 11 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 12:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Possible IBA Chances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho
At this stage, I can adjust the format every which way. Doesn't have to be five days during the week or a Poker Run for that matter. Perhaps start on a weekend? First card Friday night, last card on a Tuesday? It could happen.
Bob,

I'm thinking that, with whatever you choose to do, myself and/or others could attempt to cover the distance with some chances for IBA certifications. I could see a BB3k and a SS3k in the long weekend. The only downside is not getting together for a group dinner and camaraderie that you plan for.

Whatever you plan will be great with the NW folks. We're always up for a challenge.

Ernie

For more IBA info click here

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #5 of 11 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 11:30 pm Thread Starter

Post 5X5 Interest

This is also posted on the NorCal and Southwest forums.

The format is camaraderie and fun in a two-up, take it easy, sightsee as you please, style. This is not an endurance event and of course, singles and hacks are welcome too! The average day would be about 300 miles but there would be options for side trips along the way for those interested in additional miles and out of the way locations. There will be both long range and sightseeing tour options to draw an extra card! I will provide an itinerary with the five towns along with a recommended accommodation in each one. You will be at liberty to select your route and company. Ride your own ride but at least ride in pairs to stay safe. We will have a dinner event planned in each town at which you will draw your next card along with any bonus draws you may have acquired. My business takes me all over California and points north. The destinations will be interesting and beautiful. Maybe even a few places you've always wanted to go or ones you never knew existed. Depending on where you live, you will certainly have a ride coming into the start and/or returning from the finish. Although there will be a prize for Top Hand and a donation to charity, the real benefit is a week on the road with your SO and riding buddies. It's a time to enjoy our common thread while we make new friends, memories, and photographs.

Bob Morrow #4204
post #6 of 11 Old Feb 7th, 2006, 9:09 am

I know you want to do a 5 state thing but just a four corner of Calif. or a North-South border ride of Calif. would allow for some excellent riding.
post #7 of 11 Old Feb 9th, 2006, 1:47 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up No longer an idea....

I have received a lot of response on this and after discussing with a few cohorts at a dinner ride last night, have decided to go ahead and make this happen.

I will start a new thread before the end of February with the specifics on the ride and how to register. I want all the group rate accomodations in writing before I proceed. I can handle up to about 35-40 bikes in its design format. What I can tell you today is that the 5X5 will start on Sunday, Sept 17th in California north of Sacramento. Ask your sweetie now and get it on your calendar.

Thank you for your response, encouragement, and suggestions. Pay homage to the weather gods and prepare for a most excellent time.

Bob Morrow #4204
post #8 of 11 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 1:57 pm Thread Starter

Lightbulb 5X5 Options for LD and SS...

Well, I think the average miles between points is about 350. However, I plan to add some significant options for both LD(long distance) and SS(sightseer) riders. You will be able to qualify for a bonus draw with options extending each ride day by at least 100% if you choose. As an example, I could add Lolo Pass on Day Four as an LD bonus. SS could get a bonus draw by taking a tour or stopping for an extended lunch at a scenic area. For example, lunch at Crater Lake NP visitors center. It will be interesting as I only going to set the destinations, not the routes. It will be your ride. Blaze a trail to glory one day and sleep in the next! You know, in the end, we're all winners whether we have the top hand or not! We love this stuff and it shows.

Bob Morrow #4204
post #9 of 11 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 3:46 pm Thread Starter

Lightbulb 5x5 Update

Waiting on one last lodging confirmation. Looks like it will be a six day event with several options starting the afternoon of Sun, Sept 17th and ending the morning of Sat, Sept 23rd. It's all coming together, nicely. Please note that once I post the ride details, you will need to make 6 different room reservations in fairly short order if you plan to participate. Several places have jacuzzi suite options, so give that some thought. They usually go fast. All have cancellation policies if given proper notice. Stay tuned....

Bob Morrow #4204
post #10 of 11 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 3:18 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up 5x5 Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2Fast
I think we should stay with the five day since I am sure there are people like me who need a day each way from home to the start and still only take a week off

Actually, riders will have nearly the entire weekend before and after to get to the rally point and return from the end point. Riders can arrive after dinner on Sunday and leave before breakfast on Saturday if they prefer. Since you only need five cards for a poker hand and participants will get a draw for each night(6), then play their best hand, technically a rider could start on Monday or end on Thursday.

I have set up each location and dinner options in a free form format allowing for varied arrival times, individual dietary requirements, and rest schedules. I do not anticipate a large, all inclusive dinner every night unless things just happen to work out that way! The lodging locations all have common areas for meeting, greeting, plotting, and planning. However, I am considering deliberately planning a group dinner on Friday night. It would be as flexible on food and cost as I can make it but I fell a "grand finale" would be a fitting end to an excellent week.

Again, I am waiting for confirmation on one last accomodation and then I will post a new thread with the whole program. All lodging is nice and nicer but moderately priced including a group discount. I hope you're all up for it as this ride will include some of the best roads and beautiful country our neck of the woods has to offer.

Bob Morrow #4204
post #11 of 11 Old Feb 27th, 2006, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up 5X5 Final Update

I finally got the last lodging contract nailed down this afternoon. My plan was to find a unique property at a pristine location that would serve as the "grand finale" location to the week on the road. Something special and conducive to the finest attributes of memory making. Did you know such places are in high demand in September especially if one is only interested in booking for one Friday night? Having run up against a number of roadblocks and logistical issues that I would be happy to discuss over a beer some time, I "forced" myself on Friday to take a 400 mile ride into the wild wonders of nature to attempt face to face negotiations with those places remaining on my short list. The ride was gorgeous and the negotiations fruitful. I believe you will be very pleased with the results. Now that all the lodging and food has fallen into place, I will be posting the official thread with an operational grid on the NorCal forum by Wednesday, March 1st. There will still be some particulars to present as the summer comes and goes but by and large you will be able to catch the vision, rationalize my madness, and decide if you're coming along for the ride!

Bob Morrow #4204

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in