Dreadful Holiday Weekend for Motorcyclists on Oregon Roads - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 29th, 2007, 10:47 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Unhappy Dreadful Holiday Weekend for Motorcyclists on Oregon Roads

It was a very bad weekend for motorcyclists here in Oregon. From what I have heard, five motorcyclists died on Oregon roads. Three of those deaths were in Portland and were single vehicle accidents.

One was traveling at high speed lost control and hit a fixed object. The rider and the female passenger (17 years old) were killed.
The second Portland accident involved a motorcyclist missing an I-5 off ramp and crashing over the barrier.

An off-road crash killed another motorcyclist when the rider rounded a bend and met head-on into a vehicle coming the opposite direction. I think this happened at Shotgun creek.

And finally, a motorcyclist was killed when his bike left I-84 and collided with a guard rail.

I find this slew of news very disturbing. What I have posted here was garnered off other websites and the media. I cannot confirm the information at this time, but I have no reason to suspect that it is incorrect.

Please keep the families of the victims in your thoughts and please ride smart and come home safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 29th, 2007, 11:53 pm

Thumbs up

Good reminder.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old May 30th, 2007, 11:11 am

It only leads me to wonder in how many of these incidents excessive speed, alcohol, or inexperience (and lack of a motorcycle license) were factors.

It used to be that the greezy, tattooed, loud-pipe Harley riders were the ones giving motorcyclists a bad name. Now it's squids on crotch rockets blasting 100+MPH down residential streets, and riding wheelies for five miles up the interstate in rush hour traffic.

If you look at the map and don't care where you are, you're not lost.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2

post #4 of 4 Old Jun 4th, 2007, 2:16 pm

Sorry you missed that one - the issue is the same as it always was: too much bike for the rider's skill level.

Today's kids are on 900RR's for their first bike!! My first bike was a Honda 160, and that was plenty.

It's the same for dirt bikes, ATVs, and road bikes - and the cager's view is "all non-cages are death traps". The response is the Goldwing with airbags...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in