Boise to Missoula route - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 19th, 2007, 3:26 pm Thread Starter

Boise to Missoula route

Hi all,
I am planning a trip out to Boise to visit some relatives and would appreciate a little help on a route from Boise to Missoula. Since my wife has never been west I am looking for safe scenic routes. By safe, I mean no gravel fire trails or logging roads.

In looking at a map I am considering going through Idaho City, Lowman, Stanley on Hwy 21 and then taking Hwy93 north towards Missoula. I presume by the map that these are all paved roads suitable for travel with an LT.

Time would be end of July first part of August. Trying to keep this a vacation, not a "we must be here at this time" type of trip.

I am open to other suggestions.

NOTE: I have no need to go to Missoula, just using it as a reference. Will probably pick up I94 once through the mountains and head towards home.

Thanks

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 19th, 2007, 3:50 pm

Cool

i live in Elko Nv. and have gone several ways to Kalispell all are gorgeous (except the interstate). Lots of gas stops and paved. Idaho does not do well with thier road main. The roads are not marked well and can be sandy and gravely on curves and where they have done previous construction. If you go 93, hwy 21 between 75 and Boise is all twisties and allot of fun...good luck
post #3 of 6 Old Mar 19th, 2007, 4:26 pm

One of my favorite rides. Also great, from Boise N on 55 up the Payette River Canyon, thru Cascade, McCall. East on 13 at Grangeville up the old grade (awesome views from awesome switchbacks) to 12 at Kooskia. East on 12 up Lolo Pass ("Winding Road next 77 miles" et al). Missoula dead ahead. No prettier way to go (IMHO).

pg
DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
Hi all,
I am planning a trip out to Boise to visit some relatives and would appreciate a little help on a route from Boise to Missoula. Since my wife has never been west I am looking for safe scenic routes. By safe, I mean no gravel fire trails or logging roads.

In looking at a map I am considering going through Idaho City, Lowman, Stanley on Hwy 21 and then taking Hwy93 north towards Missoula. I presume by the map that these are all paved roads suitable for travel with an LT.

Time would be end of July first part of August. Trying to keep this a vacation, not a "we must be here at this time" type of trip.

I am open to other suggestions.

NOTE: I have no need to go to Missoula, just using it as a reference. Will probably pick up I94 once through the mountains and head towards home.

Thanks

Roy

post #4 of 6 Old Mar 19th, 2007, 10:08 pm

Both routes are nice BUT I'll second this one (Lolo Pass) as the BEST. I usually like to do the Lolo pass route from Boise and the Stanley route on return.

Steve
Olympia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgeller
One of my favorite rides. Also great, from Boise N on 55 up the Payette River Canyon, thru Cascade, McCall. East on 13 at Grangeville up the old grade (awesome views from awesome switchbacks) to 12 at Kooskia. East on 12 up Lolo Pass ("Winding Road next 77 miles" et al). Missoula dead ahead. No prettier way to go (IMHO).

pg
DD
post #5 of 6 Old Mar 20th, 2007, 6:29 am Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks guys,
it is hard to tell on a map what the scenery looks like. I presume that either route would be an 6-8 hour ride depending on stops etc.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #6 of 6 Old Mar 20th, 2007, 9:34 pm

Cool

I like both lroutes described in other posts. One deviation that I believe is worth it is to go beyond Grangeville on Hwy 95 to the Clearwater River just east of Lewiston - goes through the Nez Perce Reservation. There's a good museum about the Nex Perce just before you get to the river. Following up the Clearwater on Hwy 12 through some beautiful steep river canyon to Orofino, Kooskia and then over Lolo Pass to Missoula. Whichever way you decide there is a good museum on the west side of Lolo Pass that talks about the Lewis & Clark Corps of Discovery that went through 200 years ago. It's worth the stop.

Denny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in