Tires and Oil - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Mar 8th, 2007, 6:50 pm Thread Starter

Tires in Seattle

Just scheduled a quick service with the dealer to prep for a trip to Toronto this June. Oil change and new tires and a look around. They charge a fortune for tires. Was going to buy them online and have them mount, they want $200 to mount. Lame. Any suggestions on another option for me in Seattle.

Thanks all. Ken

Last edited by hdfan; Mar 8th, 2007 at 6:57 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Mar 8th, 2007, 9:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfan
Just scheduled a quick service with the dealer to prep for a trip to Toronto this June. Oil change and new tires and a look around. They charge a fortune for tires. Was going to buy them online and have them mount, they want $200 to mount. Lame. Any suggestions on another option for me in Seattle.

Thanks all. Ken
Who, if I may ask, is charging so much for this service? Ouch! This is why I started changing my own. The payback is very quick when you think about it. It sounds like we need another tech session.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #3 of 22 Old Mar 8th, 2007, 9:33 pm

Talking

Ken, like Ernie said, it may be time to come on down to Oregon! We have a tire machine on each side of the Willamette River down in these parts! Ernie's garage on the East side, Art's garage on the West side. (Hope ya don't mind me speaking up on your behalf Art??)

When you Seattle guys gonna break down and pitch in on your own tire machine? Like Ernie says, it will pay for itself in no time. It is also a little more comforting to be handling your own wheels instead of worrying about some young kid rough housing them if they get in a hurry!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #4 of 22 Old Mar 9th, 2007, 1:23 am

Ken,
Until you get your tire machine you could go to cycle gear, They charge 30 or 40 bucks.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #5 of 22 Old Mar 9th, 2007, 1:32 am

I just bought Pilot Roads for my GT. I paid $333.00 through the dealer for the front and rear. The dealer pulled the wheels and mounted new tires. I'm not suggesting that I got a deal, just throwing that out for discussion.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue Honu
post #6 of 22 Old Mar 9th, 2007, 1:40 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Darrel,

What tires did you take off the GT, and how did you like them? How many miles did you get?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 22 Old Mar 9th, 2007, 4:17 am

Darrel,
thats a good price for tires bought and mounted at the dealer. let me know how you like em. Ken, I have the bt 020's on my GT. I have 5k on them now and think they will be ready to come off somewhere between 6-7k total. I have a set of continental road attacks waiting in the garage. Just need some decent weather to burn em up! I am thinking about taking a tour of the west in aug or sept so i will have to buy another set or two by then. No more 10-14k out of a set of tires like the LT. So far I like the bt 020's. No funny wear or defects. However under certain conditions the front end seems light and wanders, I'm hoping its the 020 front doing it.

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #8 of 22 Old Mar 9th, 2007, 9:24 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
Ken,
Until you get your tire machine you could go to cycle gear, They charge 30 or 40 bucks.
So I assume (boy I am a nooobe) that there is nothing magical about doing a tire swap on an LT and most any shop can do it? Will check them out Brian thanks. I did notice that Cycle Center was having their annual blow out with free mounting when purchasd...Just need to check on that purchase price.

ken
post #9 of 22 Old Mar 9th, 2007, 10:12 am

Nothing magical at all. I do take the tire and rim off the bike and bring it down that way

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #10 of 22 Old Mar 9th, 2007, 10:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Darrel,

What tires did you take off the GT, and how did you like them? How many miles did you get?
Ken, I had the Z6 as the original and got 9K miles out of them. I got a 'deal' and changed to the M1. I had no issues with the M1 other than the mileage. After 4K they were pretty well worn out in the center. Still rode them for another 2K but the fun factor was gone in the corners.

Brian, I think what I paid for the Roads is a fair price. If I was going through 5 or 6 sets a year I would probably be more price sensitive.

Guess we all are looking for the Holy Grail when it comes to tires.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue Honu
post #11 of 22 Old Mar 9th, 2007, 12:36 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowflyn
Guess we all are looking for the Holy Grail when it comes to tires.
Yep. At least the GT is 200 lbs lighter than the LT, so we have a few more choices for tires. I usually go for traction over mileage, but I'm planning a break-in ride on my GT that will take me through a full set of tires. I'll most likely have to swap them out somewhere along the way, so I'm just trying to plan ahead.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 22 Old Mar 9th, 2007, 2:35 pm

Please! No body fall over because I'm actaully responding to something.

I actually am enjoying a break in the action while eating lunch at my desk.

It always amazes me how much conversation is generated over tires. I think that the only thing that is agreed on is that the dealers really overcharge for the tires and service.

That is why John and I went in together and bought what was needed to sevice our own. Plus, it is kind of fun to sit there with the balancer and watch it go around and around and around while drinking a beer or 12.

Most of us have found that we have real good response from http://www.swmototires.com/ . They apparently have a distribution center up here somewhere because the tires have gotten to us in a couple of days after ordering. And if you order 2 at a time the shipping is free.

Another advantage is that you can have a spare set. Right now we have quite a selection of tires both new and used.

Ken has had tires shipped to my house and then come over in the evening and we changed them out. Much more convenient than being at the mercy of the dealer.

If you'd like to hook up with us down in this area, I don't see a problem. If you are down here and have a tire problem let us know as well. We do not have anything to Patch tires. That seems to be a debate in itself.

Well I've gone from saying nothing to probably saying to much. I'm so ready for winter to be done.
post #13 of 22 Old Mar 9th, 2007, 3:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by artk50
I actually am enjoying a break in the action while eating lunch at my desk.

It always amazes me how much conversation is generated over tires. I think that the only thing that is agreed on is that the dealers really overcharge for the tires and service.

That is why John and I went in together and bought what was needed to sevice our own. Plus, it is kind of fun to sit there with the balancer and watch it go around and around and around while drinking a beer or 12.

Most of us have found that we have real good response from http://www.swmototires.com/ . They apparently have a distribution center up here somewhere because the tires have gotten to us in a couple of days after ordering. And if you order 2 at a time the shipping is free.

Another advantage is that you can have a spare set. Right now we have quite a selection of tires both new and used.

Ken has had tires shipped to my house and then come over in the evening and we changed them out. Much more convenient than being at the mercy of the dealer.

If you'd like to hook up with us down in this area, I don't see a problem. If you are down here and have a tire problem let us know as well. We do not have anything to Patch tires. That seems to be a debate in itself.

Well I've gone from saying nothing to probably saying to much. I'm so ready for winter to be done.
HE IS ALIVE! Nice to see your still out there Art, Now lets go for a ride!

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #14 of 22 Old Mar 9th, 2007, 4:29 pm

Ken, I have a Harbor Frieght tire machine and it works just fine. All I use it for is to break the bead and take the tire off the rim. Makes it really easy and doesn't take very long. I mount the new tire with a couple of tire irons and I have a home made balancer which takes awhile to get it done but I haven't had any problems. Ken Meese told me about a good tire iron but as soon as he told me it went out the other ear. Ken if you are reading this let me know what it was again.

As soon as I can find my way into my shop you're more than welcome to come out and use the machines. I have a Handy lift so it won't take us long.

Bill
post #15 of 22 Old Mar 10th, 2007, 1:10 am
IBR# 366

Garage
I really like the No-Mar Mount/Demount Bar. It's not cheap, but works very well and won't scratch or damage your rims. Rear ME880's are still a bit tough (very stiff carcass), but everything else just pops right on and off.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #16 of 22 Old Mar 10th, 2007, 1:25 am

Quote:
I really like the No-Mar Mount/Demount Bar. It's not cheap, but works very well and won't scratch or damage your rims. Rear ME880's are still a bit tough (very stiff carcass), but everything else just pops right on and off.
You ain't seen tough until you change your GT tires.

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #17 of 22 Old Mar 10th, 2007, 2:14 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
You ain't seen tough until you change your GT tires.
Trust me, that'll happen soon enough. I fully expect to get through two sets by June.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #18 of 22 Old Mar 10th, 2007, 11:03 am
Lifetime Supporter

Wink Balancer Q for Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Ken, like Ernie said, it may be time to come on down to Oregon! We have a tire machine on each side of the Willamette River down in these parts! Ernie's garage on the East side, Art's garage on the West side. (Hope ya don't mind me speaking up on your behalf Art??)

When you Seattle guys gonna break down and pitch in on your own tire machine? Like Ernie says, it will pay for itself in no time. It is also a little more comforting to be handling your own wheels instead of worrying about some young kid rough housing them if they get in a hurry!

John
I'm going to have to change out a front tire soon myself. Perhaps tomorrow when the monsoons come. I have a fix for my balancer, but I would like to check it with Art's and see if it is working the same. Hey Art! Can I borrow you and your balancer? I also want to work on my attachment idea for the tirechanger. I want to make a better clamp system that attaches to the machine. I'm on vacation this week and looking for a productive project.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #19 of 22 Old Mar 10th, 2007, 11:53 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
I'm on vacation this week and looking for a productive project.
Click. I'm just sayin' . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #20 of 22 Old Mar 10th, 2007, 10:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'm Just Sayin'

Quote:
Click. I'm just sayin' . . .
Wanna ride up there during the week? The weather is going to clear up this week.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #21 of 22 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 3:02 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
Wanna ride up there during the week? The weather is going to clear up this week.
If we head north, then let's make it Olympic National Park. I'm starting an NPT Tour and want to check off Olympic. Or I could just wait and do it at the start of my Four Corners Tour.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #22 of 22 Old Mar 14th, 2007, 11:18 am

We can certainly get together on that. Just for clarity, John and I went in together on the tire change stuff and balancer.

We just have to decide when. I also need to change a front tire pretty soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in