June 9th Saddle Sore 1000 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 8:01 pm Thread Starter

June 9th Saddle Sore 1000

Hello Everyone,

My name is Bill Schoppert and Iím the Washington State coordinator for the Motorcycle Tourerís Forum, Regional Saddle Sore 1000 (SS1000), 1000 miles in 24 or less hours. This is the Iron Butt Associations minimum mileage ride to become a member. The MTF has 39 different sites in the US, on 4 different days. Put June 9th on your calendar for the Issaquah, Washington Regional SS1000.

We are offering two different rides. The main propose of this event is to get new people into Long Distance riding. The easy or beginning ride is a straight out and back. You will leave Issaquah, ride to Drummond, MT and return riding just over a 1000 miles.

The second ride is for the Iron Butt Association members that want to do an in state SS1000. You can ride your own ride but have to have a receipt from all the mandatory stops. Do it under 24 hours and you have a state pin. The MTF is requiring that you be a IBA member before you can do this ride. The reason being, it will take very good time management to complete this ride in the time allotted and of course safety.

Go to the MTF web page for the Washington ride to see the routes and information. http://www.mctourer.com/rides/2007/S.../Issaquah.html There are other links on the site that will help you prepare for the ride. Registration will open on the 1st of March and will close on the 26th of May. I know this is early in the game but I just wanted to let you know so you can put on your calendar.

If you have any questions donít hesitate to call me or Tim Watts my partner and co-coordinator in all of this. If we canít answer them weíll get an answer for you. Hope to see some of you on June 9th.

Bill Schoppert
MTF Ride Coordinator
425-417-6163
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 10:14 pm

Your's is going to be a lot prettier than mine here in Houston.

You lucky dog.

Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonbill
Hello Everyone,

My name is Bill Schoppert and Iím the Washington State coordinator for the Motorcycle Tourerís Forum, Regional Saddle Sore 1000 (SS1000), 1000 miles in 24 or less hours. This is the Iron Butt Associations minimum mileage ride to become a member. The MTF has 39 different sites in the US, on 4 different days. Put June 9th on your calendar for the Issaquah, Washington Regional SS1000.

We are offering two different rides. The main propose of this event is to get new people into Long Distance riding. The easy or beginning ride is a straight out and back. You will leave Issaquah, ride to Drummond, MT and return riding just over a 1000 miles.

The second ride is for the Iron Butt Association members that want to do an in state SS1000. You can ride your own ride but have to have a receipt from all the mandatory stops. Do it under 24 hours and you have a state pin. The MTF is requiring that you be a IBA member before you can do this ride. The reason being, it will take very good time management to complete this ride in the time allotted and of course safety.

Go to the MTF web page for the Washington ride to see the routes and information. http://www.mctourer.com/rides/2007/S.../Issaquah.html There are other links on the site that will help you prepare for the ride. Registration will open on the 1st of March and will close on the 26th of May. I know this is early in the game but I just wanted to let you know so you can put on your calendar.

If you have any questions donít hesitate to call me or Tim Watts my partner and co-coordinator in all of this. If we canít answer them weíll get an answer for you. Hope to see some of you on June 9th.

Bill Schoppert
MTF Ride Coordinator
425-417-6163

Lewis

Pasadena, TX

Naturlized Texan after 34 years 'In State'.
BMW 2003LTC
IBA 21743 & 23281
AMA 278337
BMWOA 26977
Corvette National Museum Life Member 941
ARRL Life Member
post #3 of 26 Old Feb 25th, 2007, 10:18 am Thread Starter

Howdy Wanderer,

I posted a reply to you the day after you posted and it must have going into the depths of forum. It is pretty up here and I'm lucky to live here but when I retire I'm out of here. To many people = to many cars. Good luck on your coordinating.

Bill

post #4 of 26 Old Feb 25th, 2007, 4:27 pm

Tempting. The out and back looks really punishing though. Straight into the morning sun only to turn around and head back into the afternoon sun. Might need some very dark dark visors and sunglasses. Gonna have to give this one some thought.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue Honu
post #5 of 26 Old Feb 25th, 2007, 4:35 pm Thread Starter

Heading east in the morning and west in the evening is a problem of living here in the west. I just couldn't have the ride go south and back. I-5 just sucks. Hope to see you at the start.
Bill
post #6 of 26 Old Feb 25th, 2007, 7:07 pm

I am already registered.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #7 of 26 Old Feb 25th, 2007, 7:28 pm Thread Starter

You were the first to sign up for the out and back ride. Looking forward to seeing you.

Bill
post #8 of 26 Old Feb 26th, 2007, 6:29 am

Her is the site for the rest of the country.

http://www.mctourer.com/rides/2007/SS1K/

Scroll down to the state nearest you and have fun.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #9 of 26 Old Feb 26th, 2007, 12:28 pm

Quote:
Heading east in the morning and west in the evening is a problem of living here in the west. I just couldn't have the ride go south and back. I-5 just sucks. Hope to see you at the start.
Bill
Bill, I wasn't being critical of the east/west route. Now, if I wanted to be critical, how about the ride our friends in Oregon have planned.

I will probably have to wait to the last minute to register as my schedule is a bit unpredictable.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue Honu
post #10 of 26 Old Feb 26th, 2007, 12:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by km5bh
Your's is going to be a lot prettier than mine here in Houston.

You lucky dog.

Lewis
Lewis, what is the logic in having a route open to IBA members only. Why not just have 2 route available for everyone. The idea of slabbing I-10 does not appeal to me. Just because I haven't bothered to get IBA verification on any previous runs seems silly.

Dan Martin
Houston, Tx
post #11 of 26 Old Feb 26th, 2007, 1:04 pm

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Bill Schoppert
MTF Ride Coordinator
425-417-6163

These are great rides and I looked at the in-state ride in Georgia - however - since the IBA is still running almost eight (8) months behind certifing or (in some cases) locating information sent in on rides; how long is it going to take ALL these rides to be certified by the IBA? In my case I can't do the in-state ride because I am one of the ones waiting on my June submission and, as you state, only IBA members can make that ride.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #12 of 26 Old Feb 26th, 2007, 2:02 pm Thread Starter

Darrel,

I didn't take it personal. I was just pointing out our problem of being out west. That route in Oregon is a little different. Should have just kept going east. Oh well.
Bill
post #13 of 26 Old Feb 26th, 2007, 2:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnowell
These are great rides and I looked at the in-state ride in Georgia - however - since the IBA is still running almost eight (8) months behind certifing or (in some cases) locating information sent in on rides; how long is it going to take ALL these rides to be certified by the IBA? In my case I can't do the in-state ride because I am one of the ones waiting on my June submission and, as you state, only IBA members can make that ride.
Contact the coordinator from Georgia or the event manager, Alan Leduc [email protected] and tell him that you are waiting for your cert on a SS1000. It shouldn't be a problem to do the instate. Most instate rides require some very good time management to finish safely so it might be to much for some if they have never done an IBA ride.

Good Luck
Bill
post #14 of 26 Old Feb 26th, 2007, 4:08 pm

Quote:
Contact the coordinator from Georgia or the event manager, Alan Leduc [email protected] and tell him that you are waiting for your cert on a SS1000. It shouldn't be a problem to do the instate. Most instate rides require some very good time management to finish safely so it might be to much for some if they have never done an IBA ride.

Good Luck
Bill
I did contact a team member for this ride and it comes down to the listed/written instructions for the in-state ride, which states very clearly that IBA membership is required for that specific ride. My friend that did the ss1000 with me and sent his info in around the same time in late June has not heard anything either but, he can make the ride because he did his first IBA ride long ago. If the rules have changed or I can get a waiver, I will consider signing up as we talked about the in-state when they were first available. He also wants us to so a CC50. For that one I have everything but the time.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #15 of 26 Old May 9th, 2007, 9:15 am

Just a bump. It is getting close, this still on?

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue Honu
post #16 of 26 Old May 9th, 2007, 1:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowflyn
Just a bump. It is getting close, this still on?
Yup it's still on. We have 6 for the instate and 36 for the easy ride. Been getting 1 every day or so. Time is running out, registration closes on the 26th of May so get signed up.

Bill
post #17 of 26 Old Jun 4th, 2007, 10:39 am Thread Starter

Just thought I would let everyone know if you need a place to go and shoot the breeze with a couple of guys that are going to be sitting there all night waiting for the riders to get back, come to I-90 Motorsports in Issaquah after 8pm. The store is closed but there is be a couple of smiling faces sitting in the dark. Not really, we'll have lights. Actually there will probably be 4 of us. There are 47 doing the ride so the paper work is going to be a little overwhelming at times.

So spot on in, I'll have some sodas.

Bill
post #18 of 26 Old Jun 4th, 2007, 11:46 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Have fun waiting up for the riders. Good volunteers are hard to find, and should be thanked profusely.

BTW, I was all set to sign up for this ride, until I checked my calendar and realized that it was the same weekend as the Cal 24 Rally. So I'll be doing 1K as well, but all in California this time. I did save the route maps though, as I want to do an Oregon-only SS1000 one of these days.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #19 of 26 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 2:11 pm

Ok Bill,

Since I wasn't able to help out this time - How did it go - with the rain and all!

Steve
post #20 of 26 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 6:36 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek1200lt
Ok Bill,

Since I wasn't able to help out this time - How did it go - with the rain and all!

Steve
Well it's over and I'm caught up on my sleep. We set up at I-90 Motorsports at 4 Saturday morning and as soon as we had the easy up up the first riders started showing. It was a couple of the instate riders that wanted to get a good start on the day. We had 40 riders and one passenger do the ride. We had one guy hit a parked car in his neighborhood so he and his riding partner didn't make it to the start. There were others that canceled out or just didn't show. That sucks because I have to find out why, so a person has to call the emergency # and wake wifes and girlfriends up. At least they all had answers to the whereabouts of the riders. All riders where on the road before 6.

Saturday night I got to the site around 7:50PM and started to get set up. Before I could get everything out of the truck my first rider pulled in from the out and back route. He did it in 15.5 hours. He made good time but didn't ride that hard. Only got off the bike once and that was at the turn around. Fueled staying on the bike and ate energy bars. About a half a hour later they slowly start to come in and then around 10 the waves started. There were 4 of us untill around 1:30 at which time a couple of the guys went home so it went really smooth. Only had a few mistakes that I fixed today. One guy did the ride on a KLR650 and did it in good time and another 6'5" guy on a 1981 CB 650 who did it 22.5 hours. There was a gal that was riding a Suzuki Marauder 1660 with NO windshield. She was riding by herself and made the ride in about 19 hours. She was very cold, so I was glad that I had a couple of propane heaters. We had one very close call. A rider was passing a pickup and all of a sudden the pickup came over on him. He got out of the way of the truck but he hit the guardrail. Managed to keep the bike up and continued on. I looked at the damage and he was ONE LUCKY GUY. Thank goodness for crash bars.

Only one didn't make the time. He got back 31 minutes late thinking he had until 6 when he should have been back by 5:01am. He was riding a 1989 Transalp XL600V and just dilly dallied to much. He didn't have any mechanical problems.

There was one guy on 1999 ST-2 Ducati that decide to take Lolo back. He started having electrical problems about 70 miles from Lewiston. Worked on it and jump started it which he did three more times before he got back. I had to run home and get my jumper cable because we couldn't get it start by pushing it. Had to have the jump energy to do it. Really quite strange. Running, his head light would work and as he added load, heated gear, the headlight would get brighter and the bike ran better. He wasn't a happy camper.

Never did rain very hard in Issaquah but the riders sure got hit with rain and fog in the pass and the ones that took their time had rain in Montana and Idaho also.

So we have 39 riders and one passenger that will be getting there number. Congratulations to all on a successful ride.

We got everything tore down and in the truck and I was home in bed by 6:15. It was a long day but I sure was fun.

Bill

Last edited by prestonbill; Jun 11th, 2007 at 8:32 pm.
post #21 of 26 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 7:17 pm

Thumbs up

The weather was fine for most of my run . It was as high as 78 degrees in parts of Montana and Idaho but things turned damp on my last leg starting about Cle Elum and continuing all the way back to Issaquah. Bill and the other volunteers were setting up canopies for their work area and two for the returning riders to park under at the final check in area when I rolled into I-90 Motorsports. It was nice not having to stand around in the rain. Two thumbs up for the volunteers that helped to make this run happen and provided such great support.

I planned my run with two intermediate fuel stops in each direction. One in Moses Lake, WA and the other in Kellogg, ID. That meant a total of seven fuel stops counting the start/finish in Issaquah and the stop at the corner in Drummond, MT. There were several stretches of road construction on the Montana side of Lookout Pass and Spokane was a little congested on my return pass through it. Those were the only slow downs along the route for me. The rain at the end wasn't hard enough to have to worry about hydroplaning so it really didn't slow me down much.

I completed the 1020 miles on Rufus in 15 hours and 37 minutes. That is an overall average speed of 65.3 MPH. I was trying to set a benchmark for myself to see what I was capable of, particularly the time management . If I decide I want to try more challenging long distance rides I at least have something to base my planning on. I realize that this particular SS1000 is an easy route but I was satisfied with my performance. I know this is just the first baby step as far as the IBA is concerned but I can see more LD rides in my future on both Rufus and Brutus .

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #22 of 26 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 7:42 pm Thread Starter

Jim your ride went well. Congratulations Thanks for the thumbs up.

Bill
post #23 of 26 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 11:15 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Glad that it went fairly well for everyone. Wish I could've joined you all, but maybe next time. And thanks to the volunteers, without which the ride wouldn't have happened. I know how much effort that can take, and I commend them for sitting around in the wee hours so others could have their fun.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #24 of 26 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 11:18 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Good ride Jim, and congratulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd98056
I know this is just the first baby step as far as the IBA is concerned but I can see more LD rides in my future on both Rufus and Brutus .
I think you and I need to talk . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #25 of 26 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:46 pm

Ok Ken - fess up - Tell us about YOUR SS1000 - I heard a rumor of a top 5 finish at the Cal-24.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Glad that it went fairly well for everyone. Wish I could've joined you all, but maybe next time. And thanks to the volunteers, without which the ride wouldn't have happened. I know how much effort that can take, and I commend them for sitting around in the wee hours so others could have their fun.
post #26 of 26 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 1:19 am
IBR# 366

Garage
All I'm saying is that there were two Dark Graphite GTs in the top 3 spots.

I do need to do a write up, but after the long slog back to Portland I've had to try and catch up at work. After all, there is WCR this coming weekend,a nd the Utah 1088 Rally the weekend after. Gotta get some work done in between.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in