Mini Tech Day in the Seattle Area? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 9:18 am Thread Starter

Mini Tech Day in the Seattle Area?

Hey, Brian, and anyone else in the immediate vicinity....

I got my HID kit. I am starting a list of other stuff I should do to my "new" bike:

Oil change (+tranny and final drive?)
Shift linkage lube/tighten
Brake pedal lowering
Speedo mod (jumpers)
Learn to R&I tupperware

Anything else? Like urgent stuff that can't wait for a full-scale tech day?

So, would anyone be interested in an afternoon get-together? I would be happy to spring for pizza/Thai take out/whatever + beverages of your choice in exchange for some education and assistance.

Maybe the weekend of Feb 10/11? (My schedule is a little funny because I am helping my mother move the second half of Feb.)

We could do it at my house (Bellevue), but I would be embarrassed by the state of my garage and my lack of necessary tools and stuff.

Last edited by juggler; Feb 1st, 2007 at 9:24 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 9:37 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Sounds like fun. I've got plans on the evening of the 10th, but could probably come by on Sunday.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 43 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 1:35 pm Thread Starter

We should add mirror tethers to the list.

post #4 of 43 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 2:02 pm Thread Starter

Is the brake/clutch fluid change possible for mere mortals to do (on a 2000)?
post #5 of 43 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 4:02 pm

Smile Brake & Clutch Fluid Change

No sweat on these items for our vintage LT's! We can do this easy at the Tech Session. I will try to make the session.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #6 of 43 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 7:29 pm

I will TRY my best to make it. Things are getting a little busy for me. I am leaving in the morning for a couple days of kicking back in the mountains of NM. Then I am going to Cozumel on the 17th.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #7 of 43 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 8:23 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
I will TRY my best to make it. Things are getting a little busy for me. I am leaving in the morning for a couple days of kicking back in the mountains of NM. Then I am going to Cozumel on the 17th.
For a minute there, I thought you were talking about work busy.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 43 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 9:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
For a minute there, I thought you were talking about work busy.
Been busy there too. We used to have 10-12 days to fully functional test a 737 prior to its first flight. Now we do it in five. They have plans for us to try it in four days within the next month. Unfortenately with a booming business comes new hires that need to be trained. Newbies make mistakes, I end up having to train newbies and fix the mistakes.

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #9 of 43 Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 4:20 pm

yea but...

that eip makes up for it though!
post #10 of 43 Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 6:54 pm

I'm interested!

I would like to join you guys. I've some experience w/the HID's and the fluid changes (except the brakes). I'd even be willing to host it here in Fall City; 2 1/2 garage and a good assortment of tools.
post #11 of 43 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 11:44 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbond
that eip makes up for it though!
eip=farklebucks.
post #12 of 43 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 5:45 pm

Another local rider interested

If on Sunday would like to stop by to watch and learn! Relatively new to the LT and have little personal experience with maintaining or farkelizing. Have no present needs to take my bike apart (translated; no cash available at the moment to buy something to add on) but will be adding things in the near future. And would like the opportunity to meet a few of the local riders.
post #13 of 43 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 8:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Sunday might be doable... If I don't have to work. I'm "on-call" this weekend. Saturday we already have a comittment.

It would be great to meet up with the far-north group.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #14 of 43 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 1:51 am

I could also make Sunday at least part of the day. I will remember to bring the farkles I promised to a certain few if they make it.

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #15 of 43 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 6:21 am

I might be able to make it on sunday after a class that I have. So where is it going to be?

Bill
post #16 of 43 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 9:25 am Thread Starter

If SeaMarshall is willing to host it at his place in Fall City, I can probably do Sunday this weekend.

Y'all will have to tell me what to bring in the way of parts 'n' fluids 'n' stuff.

Brian, what hours would be best for you?

Here's my current to-do list:

HID install
Learn to R&I tupperware
Mirror tethers
Oil change (+tranny and final drive?)
All fluid change (coolant is low)
Shift linkage lube/tighten
Brake pedal lowering
Speedo mod (jumpers)
Install heated passenger seat

I also have a Kuryakyn GL1800 rack... I want some second opinions on installing it on the LT.

SeaMarshall thinks that this is more like a whole weekend's worth, so we can tackle things based on urgency and my need for assistance.

Last edited by juggler; Feb 7th, 2007 at 9:55 am.
post #17 of 43 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 8:26 pm

SeaMarshal Host

Hey guys - I am willing to help Victor (Juggler) out by hosting the tech daze here in rural Fall City. If anyone is interested in coming over, here are directions:

I-90 exit 22 - Preston/Fall City. This is between Issaquah and North Bend. Get off of the exit and come down 4 miles towards Fall City; right onto Lake Alice Road; up 9/10's mile and turn right at the Heathercrest sign; 2nd driveway on left; come all the way to the end of the drive.

I believe that I would have the tools to do the HID's. Juggler, make sure that you have some quality 2 side tape to hold the ballast on. It may come in your lite kit. I have a good supply of zip ties, but most are white. A lot of people prefer black ties.

I can supply bottled water and maybe some snacks. If you all want to bring anything that would be appreciated.

I would recommend we start by 9 a.m. or so to see if we can help Juggler get a lot of his wish list out of the way.

Tim Hustead
33623 SE 55th St.
Fall City, WA 98024
425-222-5897
[email protected]

Last edited by SeaMarshal; Feb 8th, 2007 at 8:33 pm. Reason: add info
post #18 of 43 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:04 pm

Tim I'll be there after the class I have that day. Should be around 2. Hope you guys don't have all the things done.

By the way I have in Preston so I should be able to find your place. ()}}}}

Bill
post #19 of 43 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 1:40 am

Thanks for having us over Tim. I should be there sometime late morning depending on weather. Hopefully no ice.... If any of you Oregon guys need a stopover point shoot me a pm.

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #20 of 43 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 7:58 am

I might be able drop by for a little while. I already have other activities I have committed to on Sunday afternoon and evening.

I would like to meet up with everyone. There are a few folks I haven't had the opportunity to meet face to face yet.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #21 of 43 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 9:15 am Thread Starter

So, what should I bring in the way of fluids and stuff?
post #22 of 43 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 11:13 am

Fluid needs

Victor - if the others plan on coming too, I would think we all could wrench on the bike. Bring your engine oil change stuff (I have the filter wrench); if you want to do the rear drive I personally would recommend going to the BMW synthetic, that is less than a quart. If we have time to tackle the tranny fluids, pick up enough synthetic for that too.

I don't know what specific grease you would need for the linkage lube - maybe just some wheel bearing grease - again I don't know. However if that would work, I have some.

For some of the guys coming over, I have the correct size socket for the tranny but if anyone has a favorite to use, please bring it along with you.

Should be fun.
post #23 of 43 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 11:42 am
IBR# 366

Garage
One quart of gear oil will do both the tranny and rear drive. BMW synthetic is good, as is Red Line, or Amsoil.

For the shifter linkage, I found a small package of grease designed for brake caliper pins at a local auto parts store. It looks like a fast-food ketchup packet, and was around a dollar. But any reasonably sticky grease should work.

If your nearing a full 12K service, you'd also need to pull the gas tank to change the air and gas filters. But that adds a couple of hours, so if you just want to do fluid changes then we can change the filters next time.

I'm planning on heading up as well. Not sure how early I'll leave in the morning, but I'm sure you guys can start tearing things down without me.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #24 of 43 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 3:15 pm Thread Starter

Meese,

Please tell me you're not riding all the way from SoCal to help work on some guy's K12 for a couple hours on a Sunday.

I got 4Q of BMW motor oil (non synth), 2Q of gear oil, and the oil change kit. I also picked up 3 quarts of Spectro coolant. The guy at the dealership said there really wasn't anything special about the BMW coolant, and any *motorcycle* coolant was fine.

I found that interesting because the Mercedes pundits say that the ONE thing on which you should stick to the M-B brand for is coolant due to the aluminum radiator or something like that.
post #25 of 43 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 4:00 pm

SNICKLEFRITZ!!!!

I just got the word I have to work the whole weekend. I guess I need to retire to get a weekend off. Good luck and have fun on the tech session. I'll have to meet, greet and wrench on another occasion.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #26 of 43 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 11:32 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler
Please tell me you're not riding all the way from SoCal to help work on some guy's K12 for a couple hours on a Sunday.
I've ridden further for less. Ask me about the 850-mile ride for HDDC pizza. Or the 1,500-mile round-trip for BBQ. Actually, I'm just trying to live up to that little honor they gave me at the last CCR.

I'll only be coming up from Hillsboro, OR this time, so not too bad of a trip.

However, I could use a place to stay on Sunday night. Anyone got a spare guest room?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #27 of 43 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 3:56 am

Ken, you know I always have the light on. I must go to work on Sunday night, but you know the layout by now. Just stay away from the GT!

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #28 of 43 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 11:18 am

Hey, guys, I have to work most of the weekend, but I might try to stop over some time on Sunday, too.

When it comes to mechanical stuff, I don't know my a** from a hole in the ground, so I'd be about as useless as a radar detector in Seattle rush hour traffic, but I'd at least love to put faces with names of those of you I haven't yet met in person!

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
post #29 of 43 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 12:26 pm

I have room for you Ken

If you don't mind spending the nite on a comfortable pull out bed. I'm up/out early Monday in order to ride down to Olympia.

You'd be welcome to sleep in or get up early and ride along with me it you're headed south again.

Tim
post #30 of 43 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 12:28 pm

Juggler - -

Sounds like the majority of guys are coming by a little later. If you want to come out around 10, that may be better. It's totally up to you.
post #31 of 43 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 12:59 pm Thread Starter

Sounds like we need to schedule a follow-up get-together in the Renton/Bellevue area some time in the near future.

I'll be at the Fall City fall-in at 10-ish. See you there.
post #32 of 43 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 6:04 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Just stay away from the GT!
Dang, there goes that plan. Seriously Brian, thanks for the open invite, but I figured you're still working crazy hours. So another time.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #33 of 43 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 6:05 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMarshal
sleep in or get up early and ride along with me it you're headed south again.
That'd be great, Tim. I'm heading over to Union, WA to visit the Gerbing's shop, so that would work out great. See you on Sunday.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #34 of 43 Old Feb 11th, 2007, 12:47 pm

Red face

I must offer apologies to you guys holding the Tech Session today. I really did plan to hop on the Bike (rain or shine) and cruise up there just to meet some of you. However, getting home around midnight, and possibly having some company drop by today, has made a lazybones out of this old guy! Maybe the next one!

Meanwhile, take a few minutes and check out the new thread posted in the "Chit Chat" forum by our buddy Bruce Yates to see what kept us up late last night! It wasn't the presentation, dinner, and visiting with good friends, but rather, the drive home that was the tiring part. Rained the whole way! If you see the attached picture I'm sure you will agree that the endeavor last night was one that could not be skipped! Bruce Yates was the photographer and this is one of the pics he attached to the msg he posted in "Chit Chat", so do read that thread also!

Hope everything goes (or went, depending on when you read this!) well with the session. I really don't have any guilt over not being there since I know you had the knowledge of several of our senior (in knowledge on the LT, not years!) members planning on assisting. With Brian, Ken, and possibly Ernie there to "Supervise", the last thing you needed was another "Supervisor"!

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coni & Mojo Quilt 2007-02-11.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	9924  

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #35 of 43 Old Feb 11th, 2007, 7:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
With Brian, Ken, and possibly Ernie there to "Supervise", the last thing you needed was another "Supervisor"!

John
I too stayed out a little late and had to stay home, but not because I was tired. I have to work this evening (the product of be on-call). The Coni thread was a good read. Kudos to you and Marilyn.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #36 of 43 Old Feb 11th, 2007, 7:46 pm

The tech session went really well. Except 2 extra screws when we were finished. We all had our ideas as to where they go but decided that it will remain a mystery until the next session. Not to bad considering 6 of us were putting the bike back together at the same time. We had quite a few people show up including Bruce with the good news about Coni. We missed you John and Ernie. I gave the radar box to Ken. I also gave him my icelink for Denny also. Great looking quilt John and Marilyn!!!! A big Thanks to Tim for hosting us.

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #37 of 43 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 8:18 am Thread Starter

Thank you to everyone who came out to help educate me and work on my "new" bike. And especially, thanks, Tim, for hosting the get-together.

The HID is stupid bright. Like totally obnoxiously bright.

By the way, I found another derelict screw... it looks like the wider one we were looking for for behind the mirror. It was under the gas cap door.

See you all on the road.

-juggler
post #38 of 43 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 11:02 am

Well......the day went pretty danged good!! With Tim and Juggler along with SanJuan2 and Ken from SoCal, with the rest of the boys doing all the "dirty-work" I got to take the "Supervisor" chair.

The HID kit was a real surprise!! All the wiring, along with the trigger and (hell...I forget what the aluminum box is called) stayed right up front in the headlight area. I couldn't believe how miniaturized things were!! We double taped everything to sit on top the headlight....drilled two holes for wiring and basta.....finito!! All done! The scariest part was reading the "Problem/Solution" list that came with the set-up.

They got all the oils changed w/o too much hastle too. Until Tim overfilled the final drive, and they had to get the excess out with papertowels.........

Speaking of Tim........It was good seeing him, down there on his side.....twisting a wrench or two and spreading his knowledge of things learned here, and in his garage. Did I mention the "smoked" cheddar?? mmmm mmmmm good!! And then there were the Lil Smokies bubbling away in the BBQ sauce that I almost ate with a screwdriver until Tim pointed out the 2thpicks!! And the 4 different kinds of cheesecracker snacks and ICE COLD WATER and SODAS!! Talk about a smorgasbord buffet!! Only the smoked salmon was missing!

Somebody will have to get Bruce to tell his story here on the board, of his "underwater K12" and the sharks!!

Bubba.....you done good. Keep it up and we might make a half decent mechanic out of you yet..........

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
post #39 of 43 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 4:26 pm

Got there late

Even thought I got there late it was still fun and was good to see old and new faces. It was nice meeting everyone and I hope we do some riding together.

Ken you mentioned a tire tool and as usual in one ear and out the other. What the heck was that name?

Victor, I hope I have that right, that HID is a great thing to have out front. I sure like mine. I'm sure you will too.

Have fun everyone and ride safe,
Bill
post #40 of 43 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 8:03 pm

Cool

Quote:
The tech session went really well. Except 2 extra screws when we were finished. We all had our ideas as to where they go but decided that it will remain a mystery until the next session. Not to bad considering 6 of us were putting the bike back together at the same time. We had quite a few people show up including Bruce with the good news about Coni. We missed you John and Ernie. I gave the radar box to Ken. I also gave him my icelink for Denny also. Great looking quilt John and Marilyn!!!! A big Thanks to Tim for hosting us.
I had good intentions as well, but an unexpected friend from Fairbanks, AK came by and spent the weekend. I missed the session. Glad it went well for Juggler. Looking forward to a future one.

Denny
post #41 of 43 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 10:30 pm

Great Tech Daze!

Hello to all who showed, and to those in spirit. We had a great turnout; good company and good eats. I think we all agreed before buttoning up Victor's bike that we'd have a few screws left over, or not enough. Victor, you'll have to tear it down again and find the ones we left out

It was nice to meet all of you guys and to learn that Pat (Patterson) likes to hang out at gay bars - - - (luv ya man)

Brian, I will take you up on that offer sometime soon to show me how to adjust the valves. We all admired that GT as you revved it up when leaving. And you will also be amazed when Ken and I washed his bike down after everyone left. It looked like a new bike!

Ken and I enjoyed a few brews, leftover Costco pot pie for dinner, and talking about politics and life in general. I was up and out for work as he was still sacked out. My wife fed him a good breakfast and sent him on his way.

Anyways, thank guys for coming over, it was a lot of fun.
post #42 of 43 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 11:13 pm

I enjoyed stopping by, too. It was nice putting faces with names of some of you I hadn't met before, eating a few teeny weenies, and watching those of you who knew what you were doing do stuff. My primary contribution (besides some healthy snacks from Krispy K) was NOT touching any of the tools, for doing so would surely have had catastrophic results.

Hopefully, we'll be able to do some rides this summer (there's some great seafood near a little place on the coast called Bruceport!).

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
post #43 of 43 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:46 am
IBR# 366

Garage
I made it back to Portland around 5 pm after 300 miles of mostly back roads. Then I had to go to work for a few hours to pay for the $500 in new riding gear that I picked up along the way.

It was good to see old friends and put names to some new faces. At least the bike ran after we were done with it.

Tim, thanks again for the hospitality, and give Elaine my compliments on a great breakfast. We should do this again soon, or maybe just go for a ride.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in