Santa brought me a new toy - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:28 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Santa brought me a new toy

I bought a used 2005 R1200GS from South Sound BMW today after a 1 hour test ride. I was originally going to look at an Aprilia Caponord they had there too but I made the mistake of riding the GS first . Steve Banks did the arm twisting (not). A really great experience working with Steve and all the staff at South Sound BMW. Steve spent about three hours with me between the test ride familiarization and the bike walk through after I bought the GS. He has an 1150 Adventure so he was very knowledgable and helpful.

My GS, which I have already named Brutus, is Desert Yellow with 14k miles and came with the following add-ons:

Options:
ABS
Heated Grips
Wire Wheels with Cont TKC80s

Accessories:
BMW Anti Theft Alarm
BMW Aluminum Cylinder Head Protection Covers
BMW Cylinder Protection Bars
BMW Second Powerlet Socket
Touratech Sump Guard
Touratech Fog Light (Toggle switch on handle bar next to left switch cluster)
Touratech HID Driving Light (Slaved to High Beam)

It was listed on their web site for $12900 but Steve dropped it down to $12200 by the time we sealed the deal. They also had a Bakup back rest that someone had ordered and then didn't buy it. They sold it to me for $250 which was below their cost. The dealer warranty was only good through September 2007 and they had their "Christmas Special" pricing ($1190) for the Pinnacle 3 year extended warranty so I sprung for that too.

I didn't get out of the dealership until about 3PM but I did get a couple hours saddle time in before I got it home. I managed to get it dirty on some minor off roading I did out near Cumberland on my long way home route to Renton. I can probably see some foot shields in my future. I had muddy water nearly up to my waist from some spirited deep mud puddle thrashing. I love the broad power band, torque and engine compression. I unintentionally got the front wheel up doing a 7k speed shift into second gear. One advantage of buying a used bike, no break-in period . Rolling off the throttle is like putting on the brakes. I didn't have any problems adjusting to the power assist ABS brakes and I really like them. This machine can really stop in a hurry.

It didn't take too long to get used to the handling. During my test ride I was over steering quite a bit and I was a little unsure of how the knobbies would work on pavement. It takes a much lighter touch than Rufus. I still haven't explored the whole performance envelope but I will be working on that as the weeks go by. About my only criticisms so far would be it needs a lower first gear for better low speed off road throttle control. It seems to me that 4th, 5th and 6th are pretty close together so spreading them out a little more should allow for a lower 1st gear without impacting highway performance. But then again what the hell was I doing going slow off road . My only other issue is whether or not the Desert Yellow color will grow on me or not . The good news is I have a buddy with an auto body shop .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 3:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Awesome! Where is the picture? Gotta see it.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #3 of 7 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 6:57 pm Thread Starter

Here are a few pics in the driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0374s.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	8913   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0376s.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	8914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0377s.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	8915   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0378s.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	8916   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0379s.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	8917  

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)

post #4 of 7 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 7:50 pm

Thumbs up Fantastic!!

Way to go Jim!

I love the yellow ones. It is a very beautiful ride. (my vote is to leave it yellow). Maybe we can get together for some off pavement adventures???

I look forward to seeing it in person. Congrats...

Dan

Reelman
2006 K1200R (sun yellow)
2003 K1200LT (anthracite) sold
CCR's:
2005 Grand Teton, N.P.
2007 Osage Beach, MO
2008 Midway, UT
2009 Rapid City, SD
2011 Boise, ID
2013 Bend, OR

post #5 of 7 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 12:30 pm

Jim,
Congrats on the new ride. She is a real beauty. I am yellow with envy.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #6 of 7 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 2:03 pm Thread Starter

Thanks!

No pun intended of course, right Brian, groan . I don't know what I would do with a 150+ hp GT except to really get myself into trouble. The GS has all the get up and go I would ever need. A totally different feel with the broad flat torque curve. The GS doesn't have that top end rush like the K bikes. It doesn't feel like there is much of any reason to push it past 7000 rpm. You just get loads of grunt from about 3000 on up to 7000 rpm. Even with the counterbalanced engine it's no match for a K engine for vibration but at cruising speeds it's good to go.

Now I need to start a whole new accessorizing quest .

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)

post #7 of 7 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 7:29 pm

woohoo

Congrats!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in