Two January Events - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 3:51 pm Thread Starter

Two January Events

Spring seems a long way off, but don’t be depressed, why not plan a Winter adventure!

Anyone planning on going to Snowcamp on January 12th through the 15th? It looks like it will be minus the snow this year due to the destruction of Sunshine Point campground by recent flooding. A RV resort on Hood Canal will be the site this year.

Location - Pleasant Harbor RV Resort (on hwy 101, in Brinnon, WA)
Cost - Camping is $7.50 per person per night
RV's $15.00 per night with electric and water hookups available (at an additional charge)
Day pass - $3.75 per person

http://www.bmwra.org/rallymap/#1

…or what about a real desert adventure!!! Death Valley Daze XII will be held on January 27th & 28th. I just might have to toss a bike in the trailer and head down to Furnace Creek Camp for that one. Anyone wanting to split the gas bill and paying a visit to the “superlative desert of streaming sand dunes, snow-capped mountains, multicolored rock layers, water-fluted canyons and three million acres of stone wilderness”, just let me know. You could wait until summer when high temperatures commonly run above 120 degrees Fahrenheit, but it’s probably dry heat and not a problem.

http://www.dvdaze.org/

So are you riding or hibernating in January?

Dan

Reelman
2006 K1200R (sun yellow)
2003 K1200LT (anthracite) sold
CCR's:
2005 Grand Teton, N.P.
2007 Osage Beach, MO
2008 Midway, UT
2009 Rapid City, SD
2011 Boise, ID
2013 Bend, OR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 10:29 pm

The desert is tempting. Would you trailer all the way down or just get through the passes and park the rig once your out of the snow zone? I am tempted to ride down, just head to the coast to miss the passes and jog over somewhere in NorCal.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue Honu
post #3 of 14 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 1:06 am
IBR# 366

Garage
I went to Death Valley Daze a couple of years ago. It was fun, and you get all kinds of riders on all kinds of bikes. Last year I did the White Stag Rally instead. It was also a blast, but awfully cold. My heated gear sure helped.

I haven't heard details of the WS Rally for '07 yet, so I may end up at DVD anyway. It's also possible that I may end up in Oregon while my bike sits down in SoCal. Too early to tell with my random work schedule.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 14 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 9:51 am Thread Starter

Lightbulb Lots of Possibilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowflyn
The desert is tempting. Would you trailer all the way down or just get through the passes and park the rig once your out of the snow zone? I am tempted to ride down, just head to the coast to miss the passes and jog over somewhere in NorCal.
Darrel,

I would go all the way with the trailer. I have a spot reserved at Furnace Creek Camp for Thursday – Sunday. Heck, if we got enough people interested I could go pick up my large enclosed trailer (20 x 8 inside) that’s at the coast and I could take the motorhome…

Let see, if say four of us split the cost of fuel, it should be way less than the cost of single lodging and a whole lot better than a tent… Where did I put my calculator????

Dan

Reelman
2006 K1200R (sun yellow)
CCR's:
2005 Grand Teton, N.P.
2007 Osage Beach, MO
2008 Midway, UT
2009 Rapid City, SD
2011 Boise, ID
2013 Bend, OR

post #5 of 14 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 9:52 am

Ya' all should come down and join the Nor Cal boyz at Death Valley. We currently have a dozen or so going from Thursday through Monday. Many with GS's to play on the back roads of DV.
If your going to want a room, don't wait to much longer to get a reservation they go fast. This year the majority are staying in the cabins at the Ranch.

See Ya there.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #6 of 14 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 10:07 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Our Nor Cal Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
Ya' all should come down and join the Nor Cal boyz at Death Valley. We currently have a dozen or so going from Thursday through Monday. Many with GS's to play on the back roads of DV.
If your going to want a room, don't wait to much longer to get a reservation they go fast. This year the majority are staying in the cabins at the Ranch.
See Ya there.
John,

The Nor Cal boyz seem to have all the GS fun. If I sound envious, it’s only because I am.

I look forward to seeing you all in January!

Dan

Reelman
2006 K1200R (sun yellow)
CCR's:
2005 Grand Teton, N.P.
2007 Osage Beach, MO
2008 Midway, UT
2009 Rapid City, SD
2011 Boise, ID
2013 Bend, OR

post #7 of 14 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 3:18 pm

Cool

Dan -

I'd be interested in heading down to Death Valley per your earlier post. I'd be up for sharing the costs either way - tent camping or if you opted to take the motor home. Would you plan to take your GS? Let me know what your thinking.

Denny
post #8 of 14 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 6:16 pm Thread Starter

PM Sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by avonfloater
Dan -

I'd be interested in heading down to Death Valley per your earlier post. I'd be up for sharing the costs either way - tent camping or if you opted to take the motor home. Would you plan to take your GS? Let me know what your thinking.

Denny
Denny, I sent you a PM. Dan

Reelman
2006 K1200R (sun yellow)
CCR's:
2005 Grand Teton, N.P.
2007 Osage Beach, MO
2008 Midway, UT
2009 Rapid City, SD
2011 Boise, ID
2013 Bend, OR

post #9 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 9:59 am Thread Starter

Talking Fun in Death Valley

Alright, a plan is starting to gel. The PNWet Express (motorhome and trailer) is leaving for Death Valley Daze XII with room for a couple more bikes and riders. Warning: This may be addictive leading to the desire to attend every year! The list so far:

1 Dan (Reelman) taking TE
2 Denny (avonfloater) taking LT

Reelman
2006 K1200R (sun yellow)
CCR's:
2005 Grand Teton, N.P.
2007 Osage Beach, MO
2008 Midway, UT
2009 Rapid City, SD
2011 Boise, ID
2013 Bend, OR

post #10 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 10:18 am

Dan,

I'm assuming the TE is street legal, otherwise you can not ride it in Death Valley. Also remember Death Valley is a hundred + miles across, some of the day rides we take when down there are over 200 miles - hope it's comfy or I might suggest the GS. All of the dirt roads within Death Valley can be handled with the GS. But I'm sure the TE is lighter and easier to handle.

John & Cathy
Northern CA

Posse #2

post #11 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 11:18 am

Dan, as good as that trip sounds, looks like work is going to get in the way again.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue Honu
post #12 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 12:48 pm Thread Starter

Who let the Italian Bike in???

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
Dan,

I'm assuming the TE is street legal, otherwise you can not ride it in Death Valley. Also remember Death Valley is a hundred + miles across, some of the day rides we take when down there are over 200 miles - hope it's comfy or I might suggest the GS. All of the dirt roads within Death Valley can be handled with the GS. But I'm sure the TE is lighter and easier to handle.
You’re a good man John. Thanks for the information. The TE610 is Husqvarna’s dualsport and completely street legal. I have a custom seat that is a lot better than stock, but I have to admit that I haven’t been on it all day yet so the jury is still out. I also plan to put on an auxiliary gas tank to bring the total up to around 5.5 gallons.

Do you think that’s enough?

If we get some more people to join us, I will take my larger trailer which would give me the ability to take the GS.

BTW, do you know of any Nor Cal folks that are taking a LT or other street bike that Denny can hook up with?

Thanks again, your help is always appreciated.

Dan

Reelman
2006 K1200R (sun yellow)
CCR's:
2005 Grand Teton, N.P.
2007 Osage Beach, MO
2008 Midway, UT
2009 Rapid City, SD
2011 Boise, ID
2013 Bend, OR

post #13 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 1:21 pm

That's as much as my GS carries and yes there will be steet models going. Plans are for dual sport rides Friday and Sunday, Saturday will be an Asphalt day. Of course plans change and everyone does what they want anyway.

John & Cathy
Northern CA

Posse #2

post #14 of 14 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 5:07 pm Thread Starter

Talking Death Valley Daze XII

The PNWet Express is full for the trip to Furnace Creek Camp. Now if only the weather will cooperate...

The year is going to be full of rides and events that I would like to attend and I hope to see as many of you great folks as possible in 2007!

Happy Holidays!

Dan

Reelman
2006 K1200R (sun yellow)
CCR's:
2005 Grand Teton, N.P.
2007 Osage Beach, MO
2008 Midway, UT
2009 Rapid City, SD
2011 Boise, ID
2013 Bend, OR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in