New BMW Dealer in Portland? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 12:46 pm Thread Starter

Question New BMW Dealer in Portland?

There was some news circulating at the Seattle Motorcycle Show about a new BMW Dealer for the Portland area.

I heard everything second hand, so those that spoke directly with Madelyn can tell you more than I can.

I did find the following information on the BMW Motorcycles of Western Oregon Website.

What do you think this means for Portland Motorcycle as they are busy selling ATV's, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Triumph? Should we contact them for comment?

Dan

Reelman
2006 K1200R (sun yellow)
2003 K1200LT (anthracite) sold
CCR's:
2005 Grand Teton, N.P.
2007 Osage Beach, MO
2008 Midway, UT
2009 Rapid City, SD
2011 Boise, ID
2013 Bend, OR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 2:57 pm

Talking

I think I'd wait and see how the new dealership looks and works out before asking them for input. Then the question just might force up a little competition! Competition is alway healthy.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 4:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

BMW will probably yank the francise from Portland in favor of an exclusive BMW stroe. This has been their track record. It will be good to have exclusive BMW attention in the Portland area.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #4 of 12 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 5:15 pm Thread Starter

Ouch!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
BMW will probably yank the francise from Portland in favor of an exclusive BMW stroe. This has been their track record. It will be good to have exclusive BMW attention in the Portland area.
Ernie,

That's exactly what I was wondering. You would think that would be a major hit to their operating income. Especially on the service side....

Dan

Reelman
2006 K1200R (sun yellow)
CCR's:
2005 Grand Teton, N.P.
2007 Osage Beach, MO
2008 Midway, UT
2009 Rapid City, SD
2011 Boise, ID
2013 Bend, OR

post #5 of 12 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 5:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelman
Ernie,

That's exactly what I was wondering. You would think that would be a major hit to their operating income. Especially on the service side....

Dan
A dealer once told me that BMW does not like to have dealerships within 100 miles of another unless the population would support it (ie. Seattle and Fife), and an exclusive dealership trumps a multi-brand dealership if it has the right money and management behind it.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #6 of 12 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 11:22 am

Smile

I wish someone would open a BMW dealership here in Spokane!!

Scott the owner of Eugene BMW is a nice fella... I am sure the new Tigard
store will be as nice and busy as the Eugene store..

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #7 of 12 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 2:41 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog
Scott the owner of Eugene BMW is a nice fella... I am sure the new Tigard
store will be as nice and busy as the Eugene store..
Mike,

The Eugene store has (IMO) established itself as a top notch dealership in a relatively short time. The customer service and attention to detail (of the Eugene location) will likely transfer to the Tigard location.
post #8 of 12 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 9:49 am

The folks opening that store are good people.
Scott and Madeline are in it because they love motorcycles and riding.
Techs, parts, sales ....they have cultivated good folks and weeded out the "not so good" They schedule monthly rides and always have a smile..
Give 'em a try.
I like 'em.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #9 of 12 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 2:43 pm Thread Starter

Customer Service - So Important - So often overlooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
The folks opening that store are good people.
Scott and Madeline are in it because they love motorcycles and riding.
Techs, parts, sales ....they have cultivated good folks and weeded out the "not so good" They schedule monthly rides and always have a smile..
Give 'em a try.
I like 'em.
Allen,

I haven't been in the Eugene store very many times (only because of the physical distance from Vancouver), but the atmosphere is definitely unique. You immediately feel you are with friendly and fun loving folks that are there to help you, not there to sell you something. I have also benefited more than once from their support of events.

This isn't a critique of Portland Motorcycle, but when I go into the store I know I am in a business that exists to make a profit. I ordered a set of lights about 4 weeks ago and PM screwed it up in their system. I went in to pick them up and found they only requested 3 new lights (2 front, but only one rear). I had to wait another couple of weeks for them to reorder the missing light. You would think that they might have questioned an order of 3, but they didn't. You might think that they might have compensated me in some small way for the mistake, but nothing was said when I picked the single light up yesterday. I completely understand and it's not a big deal. I do wonder, however, if I would have gotten the same result from the Eugene store. Maybe, but I don't think so.

Dan

Reelman
2006 K1200R (sun yellow)
CCR's:
2005 Grand Teton, N.P.
2007 Osage Beach, MO
2008 Midway, UT
2009 Rapid City, SD
2011 Boise, ID
2013 Bend, OR

post #10 of 12 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 3:33 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
My issue with the Portland store is that on smaller items like light bulbs, bolts and washers, etc., they mark things up double suggested retail. It's not a lot of money on small purchases, but does add up. I grabbed all the parts for a 12K service one time, and was shocked at the total cost. Never again.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 12 Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 1:27 am

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
My issue with the Portland store is that on smaller items like light bulbs, bolts and washers, etc., they mark things up double suggested retail. It's not a lot of money on small purchases, but does add up. I grabbed all the parts for a 12K service one time, and was shocked at the total cost. Never again.
I've had the same experience as Ken - Bosch spark plugs were $12.95 at PM and $7 and change from Chicago BMW. When I paid the shipping from Chicago I was still considerable money ahead on the items I needed for a 12K service.

Looking forward to the new dealership.

Denny
post #12 of 12 Old Jan 29th, 2007, 10:09 am

Added Note

I just had my 6K service done on my '06 and PM - 3 mos after my friend in Boise had his done on his '05. His service was $126.77, while mine was over $250. BTW, they "forgot" to call me when the bike was done.

I purchased this bike from Paradise HD with 5K miles on it, and it came with the Nav - however, I found out I was actually the THIRD owner of this bike, and the second owner never picked up the parts/manual kit from BMW NW (an ex & returned HD rider). A single call plus shipping & the parts arrived - with a follow-up call as to whither I needed anything else...

Since I am an ex-HD rider too, I admit to being spoiled by the customer service, and am delighted to see NW BMW bring it to Portland for us.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in