We Just Had to Do It! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 1:20 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up We Just Had to Do It!

We had two checkpoints in the RCMC Grand Tour pending and looking doubtful that we were going to fill the book with our stamps. Pauline and I talked about a 2.5 day sweep out to Wyoming and back through central Idaho for the last two. We left last night after work and stayed in Baker City (303 miles). After a good hearty breakfast in the motel restaurant we made a loop down 84-86 to Pocatello and onto Afton, WY. After a light dinner with the good folks at the Homestead Restaurant (the checkpoint) we took a sundown ride to Idaho Falls.

Further conversation ensued regarding a place to stay that would give us a good start on the final checkpoint on Sunday (New Meadows, ID). We decided to press on to Burley for the night. Tomorrow we'll take a fun ride up to New Meadows from Boise (through Horseshoe Bend) and back home. Todays ride was just 723 miles. Tomorrow will test our butts and the old LT to see if we make it back in time for work on Monday morning. We just had to get those last two.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 1:26 am

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
We had two checkpoints in the RCMC Grand Tour pending and looking doubtful that we were going to fill the book with our stamps. Pauline and I talked about a 2.5 day sweep out to Wyoming and back through central Idaho for the last two. We left last night after work and stayed in Baker City (303 miles). After a good hearty breakfast in the motel restaurant we made a loop down 84-86 to Pocatello and onto Afton, WY. After a light dinner with the good folks at the Homestead Restaurant (the checkpoint) we took a sundown ride to Idaho Falls.

Further conversation ensued regarding a place to stay that would give us a good start on the final checkpoint on Sunday (New Meadows, ID). We decided to press on to Burley for the night. Tomorrow we'll take a fun ride up to New Meadows from Boise (through Horseshoe Bend) and back home. Todays ride was just 723 miles. Tomorrow will test our butts and the old LT to see if we make it back in time for work on Monday morning. We just had to get those last two.
Whew! Good on you guys Ernie and Pauline! Ride safe tomorrow.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #3 of 22 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 2:27 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Well done. I'm jealous.

Have a great ride back on Sunday.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 22 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 8:22 am

Ernie,
Congrats on getting your last GT points! Ride safe and I hope you have good weather. It has been getting chilly in the mornings up in those hills.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #5 of 22 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 8:43 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Well done. I'm jealous.

Have a great ride back on Sunday.
You might want to get yours done quickly. A lot of snow already in the mountains. We decided to take the slab instead of 26 through a pass my maps say "closed for Winter". We couldn't get a straight answer if it was getting nasty up there. The weather is good down low, but up high there are clouds and it is really cold. Last night we had 36 degrees for over 100 miles. The Gerbings were cranked all the way up!

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #6 of 22 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 9:50 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Whew! Good on you guys Ernie and Pauline! Ride safe tomorrow.

John
We are about on our way for the day. 8:45 local time and the temp has risen to 36. Frost on the bike cover this morning. Last night, just before sunset we encountered a yearling bolting across the road in front of us. Scared the living daylights out of us and the guy in the opposite direction. A close call that sticks with you. Thank goodness for the link brakes and the ABS. I had my feets on the Jpegs at the time.

Have fun over at Arts, and on your service as well. We should be home around 22:00.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #7 of 22 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 8:51 pm

hey now..

no more white knuckle stories
post #8 of 22 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 10:14 pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
We are about on our way for the day. 8:45 local time and the temp has risen to 36. Frost on the bike cover this morning. Last night, just before sunset we encountered a yearling bolting across the road in front of us. Scared the living daylights out of us and the guy in the opposite direction. A close call that sticks with you. Thank goodness for the link brakes and the ABS. I had my feets on the Jpegs at the time.

Have fun over at Arts, and on your service as well. We should be home around 22:00.
Watch out for those Bambis guys! Hope that is all you had on the trip for frights.

As far as our work goes, wouldn't ya know we'd have 1 valve that was out on Art's Bike! So we ended up having to pull one of the cams, and that always lengthens the process, but we made it right. Didn't even get to my Bike today. We'll hit it during the week we figure.

Hope you guys get in fine tonight, even if it is a little late.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #9 of 22 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 11:10 pm

Ernie,
Congrats on the last two checkpoints. I figured that it would be hard for you to resist the urge when you had all the others. Good timing...missing the rain from last weekend. That would not have been good with the cold temps!
Hope you had a safe rest of the way home without any more hooved varmin sightings.
Dry weather predicted for all next week...we should take advantage of it and do an after work ride and then maybe dinner. I did Clackamas River Highway down to Detroit and back today. Beautiful ride.
Jeff
post #10 of 22 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 12:28 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Talking

Quote:
Watch out for those Bambis guys! Hope that is all you had on the trip for frights.

As far as our work goes, wouldn't ya know we'd have 1 valve that was out on Art's Bike! So we ended up having to pull one of the cams, and that always lengthens the process, but we made it right. Didn't even get to my Bike today. We'll hit it during the week we figure.

Hope you guys get in fine tonight, even if it is a little late.

John
We made it back safe and sound at 21:15. We had one more Bambi concern on 84. A full sized Ford van nearly hit one in front of us in the slow lane. The driver did a great job not rolling that van! He was at least at a 20 degree angle to the freeway lines and blue smoke everywhere. I saw the critter just being missed by the vans right front bumper and I went to his left. Quick maneuvering is what that LT is all about! I love this bike. More stats later, but 51.75 hours and 1758 miles. Pauline is one great passenger. That is all I've got to say.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #11 of 22 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 1:11 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Glad to hear you're both back safe and successful.

John, let me know when you're gonna get to your bike. I'd be glad to help. Plus I've got a present for you & Art that I need to deliver. Got something for Ernie too, for that matter.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 22 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 7:50 am

Smile

OK Ken! I'm thinking about Wed or Thurs evening right now, but that may change, depending on the work at the office. I'll drop you a line or call you when we get ready to tear into her.

Ernie, glad to hear you two are back home safe & sound!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #13 of 22 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 9:36 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I've got a present for you & Art that I need to deliver. Got something for Ernie too, for that matter.
Ernie likes presents!

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #14 of 22 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 9:43 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch_Rider
Ernie,
Congrats on the last two checkpoints. I figured that it would be hard for you to resist the urge when you had all the others. Good timing...missing the rain from last weekend. That would not have been good with the cold temps!
Hope you had a safe rest of the way home without any more hooved varmin sightings.
Dry weather predicted for all next week...we should take advantage of it and do an after work ride and then maybe dinner. I did Clackamas River Highway down to Detroit and back today. Beautiful ride.
Jeff
Thanks Jeff. You are correct on picking the weather. And, its good to fill the book. We had to get the New Meadows one anyway because it was an "in state" checkpoint. A little far for in state I believe.

The hills were full of snow from the week before. The locals even told us that we would've had a tough time negotiating the roads last weekend. I guess it took them a little by surprise since they have had some mild Fall weather in the past years.

Glad you got out and enjoyed some twisties on your GT. Have you been on the road I've been talking about from 99W to Alsea? You might want to take it before the Fall leaves make a bit slippery.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #15 of 22 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 9:47 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
OK Ken! I'm thinking about Wed or Thurs evening right now, but that may change, depending on the work at the office. I'll drop you a line or call you when we get ready to tear into her.

Ernie, glad to hear you two are back home safe & sound!

John
Hijackers! Gawd, I can't believe it! Just kidding.

Thanks John. Looking forward to a couple more trips before November. I've got a Redding trip and Fort Bragg in October to do. I love this bike! See you soon I hope.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #16 of 22 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 9:50 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbond
no more white knuckle stories
Hi Ian. It got better the closer to home we got. The HID lights are the best at spotting deer. I'm glad we were fortunate not to have any more encounters of the furry kind. See you at one of the RTE's. We all should get together before the heavy weather sets in.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #17 of 22 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 9:54 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
Ernie,
Congrats on getting your last GT points! Ride safe and I hope you have good weather. It has been getting chilly in the mornings up in those hills.
Thanks Brian. It was really chilly yesterday. As I posted, there was a layer of frost on the bike cover. The closer we got home the warmer it got. Idaho was in the mid 60's and when we got home just after 9 the temp was 72. Go figure! The gorge was totally calm without a hint of breeze BTW. Unusual not to encounter a head wind on the way home.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #18 of 22 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 2:07 pm

Talking Grand Tour Check Points

Ernie, What took you so long???? I've had all the check points done for over a month. Maybe its my central location. Did you get to the Alpine Cafe in Lucerne before they closed in June? Going to the GT Banquet in Wilsonville? Hope to see you there!!

Randi Kobernik
2005 K1200LT with a 2007 Hannigan Trike Kit "The Dragon"

It is not wise to meddle in the affairs of Dragons for thou art crunchy and good with katsup.
post #19 of 22 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 11:50 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedreamcycle
Ernie, What took you so long???? I've had all the check points done for over a month. Maybe its my central location. Did you get to the Alpine Cafe in Lucerne before they closed in June? Going to the GT Banquet in Wilsonville? Hope to see you there!!
We got started a month late due to our Florida vacation this year. We got Lucerne a week after they closed, but I understand they re-opened. We got a picture instead. We are looking forward to the banquet and seeing you there. I'm wondering who on this list is going to the banquet besides us?

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #20 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 2:03 am
IBR# 366

Garage
The Alpine Cafe is open under new management. They knew about the Grand Tour, but the prior owners failed to leave the stamp behind. I got a nice pic though.

I doubt I'll make any more checkpoints this year. Too much work leaves little time to ride , but will pay for a new bike . Sometimes you gotta make choices.

And I won't be able to make the dinner this year either. It's our turn to host the local Halloween party, and guess which day it's on? Again with the hard choices . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #21 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 7:42 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
And I won't be able to make the dinner this year either. It's our turn to host the local Halloween party, and guess which day it's on? Again with the hard choices . . .
That is a drag. We were hoping you would ride up on a new GT. We'll raise a toast to you in your absence though.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #22 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 11:18 am
IBR# 366

Garage
The new bike will get ordered as exactly what I want, which means ASC, which means some time after January. Gonna visit my dealer when I'm home next week and have a serious chat.

I'm hoping to be able to pull off Fort Bragg, though. We'll see how things go over the next couple of weeks.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in