She Took A Short Nap - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 8:22 pm Thread Starter

Cool She Took A Short Nap

At Ernie's urging I'll offer a short synopsis of a recent ride up the WA coast, Vancouver Island and inland BC. The big event was coming off the Puget Island Ferry - always wanted to do that - landing in Oregon after boarding on the Washington side and planning to ride to Astoria. Approaching Hwy 30 is an LT rider's worst scenario with wheel turned to the right, steep uphill grade, steep slope to the right and a stop sign on a busy highway with no shoulder at the top. Just as I approached the stop sign a car appeared at a very fast rate and I had to brake hard. Before I knew it the old girl laid over and took a short nap while I scratched my behind. With the help of my riding buddy from Santa Fe and another kind cage driver we righted the bike and found a small scratch on the right side chrome piece on the side case. Yet another educational experience!

Ferry crossings were a new experience for me and the ferry from Port Townsend was an education. There were many BC bikers who were most friendly and open about suggetions for stabilizing my bike. The small piece of water skiing tow rope tied to the bulkhead of the ferry was as much help as BMW has been with final drives - none! This ferry is reported to have a fairly round hull and tends to rock and roll when the surge is up so riders need to put some thought into how to stabilize their ride. The ferry operator simply offers the useless rope and has you sign a statement that it's your responsibility. A BC rider showed me how to use a small piece of wood to stabilize against the side rail - highly recommended. We did see two pods of Orcas and a bunch of porpoises on the ferry crossing.

We rode Vancouver Island including the coast at Tofino before finally crossing on a BC Ferry to Powell River. The BC ferries are terrific with well designed blocks to stabilize your bike for the rougher crossings. The Sunshine Coast from Lund to Gibsons is dramatic and what I envisioned coastal BC would be like - a must ride in my opionion. We headed north from Horseshoe Bay and purposely by-passed Whistler to find a great new motel in Pemberton (don't look too seriously at the old hotel in town). The next day ride from Pemberton to Lillooet along Hwy 99 was one of the best parts of the trip and one to put on your list of rides. Stop at the Reynolds Hotel restaurant in Lillooet and talk to the heavy set cook who knows all the roads in the area and wants to share. There are several options to work east or south that are all dramatic including Hwy 12 along the Frasier River where we rode through "an active" slide throwing rocks at us as we went by. I recrossed the border at Osoyoos and found my way back home along the east side of the Cascades.

Not to overdo this post, we found the country incredible, but the BC riders turned out to be the highlight - warm, friendly, helpful and jolly. Go see for yourselves.

Denny

BTW - don't take the word of the gray haired guy in the visitor info office at the Port Angeles ferry terminal about lodging options in Victoria - I think he's getting something back from the Super 8!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 11:40 am

Talking Ferries

Haven't ridden the ferries on a bike, but have taken them from south of Vancouver to Vancouver Island and from north of Seattle to Vancouver Island. By far, the BC Ferries are GREAT! Very comfortable, well appointed and friendly people. By comparison, the US ferries sucked!

Vicky
post #3 of 5 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 1:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Geeze Denney. That is 2-4-2 for Washington riders haveing mishaps on the road. We gotta take it easy out there for sure. Those last second stops can be a bugger on these heavy LT's.

Tofino is one of our favorite spots on the island. The BC Ferries and top drawer compared to the Port Angles (Black Ball) ferry, but it does a good job and the price is right.

We are glad you made it home safe and had a good time over all.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 2:00 pm Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyBeads
Haven't ridden the ferries on a bike, but have taken them from south of Vancouver to Vancouver Island and from north of Seattle to Vancouver Island. By far, the BC Ferries are GREAT! Very comfortable, well appointed and friendly people. By comparison, the US ferries sucked!

Vicky
Everyone I talked with agrees wholeheartedly with your assessment of the BC Ferries, Vicky. They're like cruise ships with a full service (and I mean full service) food operation and you gotta love the first on - first off policy for motorcycles. The US Ferry loaded bikes nearly last and stuffed cars in so tight I couldn't walk around my LT to stabilize it. That gave me bad thoughts about my mirrors!!

Denny
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 2:08 pm Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
Geeze Denney. That is 2-4-2 for Washington riders haveing mishaps on the road. We gotta take it easy out there for sure. Those last second stops can be a bugger on these heavy LT's.

Tofino is one of our favorite spots on the island. The BC Ferries and top drawer compared to the Port Angles (Black Ball) ferry, but it does a good job and the price is right.

We are glad you made it home safe and had a good time over all.
Hey Ernie -

I would have been just fine if my right leg was a foot longer than my left!!

Denny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in