Man Down, But Not Out - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old Sep 11th, 2006, 2:09 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Unhappy Man Down, But Not Out

SanJuan2 (Brian) had a mishap this morning leaving NY City. Details are sketchy and he will post in a day or so. Brian is a little sore (wrist and back), but is otherwise ok. He says the riding gear worked well to protect him. His LT suffered rear, right side and front cosmetic damage as well as a damaged headlight assy. BMW of Manhattan is doing repairs to get him back on the road.

Brian's account of the accident goes something like this:

"People were merging and cars ahead stopped. I hit the binders and came to a stop with clearance in front. The Jetta behind me hit me going about 20mph. The hood on the Jetta is pealed back and sustained a lot of damage. My backrest and bags strapped onto the passenger seat gave me support as I lurched forward hitting the car in front. I bailed off the bike and rolled. I looked for more cars and got out of the way."

As I said earlier Brian will post his story when things calm down and he can get to the internet. He took some pictures and will post those too. He wanted all of us to know he is ok, and emphasized that the "frame tabs" are intact in case anyone wanted to know. He is a man with a sense of humor without end.

Brian, man we're all glad you're ok. Finish your ride and get on back here to the Northwet where you belong!

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old Sep 11th, 2006, 2:20 pm

That sux......Isn't he on the trip from the NW to the NE??

Prakash Krishnamurthy

2004 R1150RT Titanium Grey

post #3 of 35 Old Sep 11th, 2006, 2:42 pm

Brian,
Go to hear your mostly OK, get checked out if you can and don't forget to replace any damaged gear too. Here's wishing you a safe return .

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else

post #4 of 35 Old Sep 11th, 2006, 4:45 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleashd
That sux......Isn't he on the trip from the NW to the NE??
Right. He was leaving NY this morning for Pennsylvania to visit more family. He'll make that trip later today. He will also make a stop in New Mexico on his way home (if the LT and his body hold up). He's tough, he can take it.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #5 of 35 Old Sep 11th, 2006, 5:04 pm

Glad You're OK

Brian,

Very sorry you had to be the one in front of that Jetta, but really glad you are OK. I hope you can take it easy for the remainder of the trip. We look forward to hearing everything over a cold one.

Take care.

Dan

Reelman
2006 K1200R (sun yellow)
2003 K1200LT (anthracite) sold
CCR's:
2005 Grand Teton, N.P.
2007 Osage Beach, MO
2008 Midway, UT
2009 Rapid City, SD
2011 Boise, ID
2013 Bend, OR

post #6 of 35 Old Sep 11th, 2006, 5:31 pm

Glad to hear Brian is mostly OK. I was reading his trip log very early this morning...
Prompt recovery to him and the bike!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 35 Old Sep 11th, 2006, 9:16 pm

Cool

Brian, get that Jetta's insurance to make a new LT for ya buddy! Glad you're OK, but please do make sure that you get a thorough check-up just to be sure. Especially if you plan to finish your trip on the Bike.

Nice to know those ABS brakes work. Too bad they can't stop the idiots behind you though!

We're pulling for you back here buddy!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #8 of 35 Old Sep 11th, 2006, 10:49 pm

Yeah.. hope you get back in the saddle soon.. new bike is the answer. Don't be fooled by it being a Jetta.. them things is 'spensive!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #9 of 35 Old Sep 11th, 2006, 10:56 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Bummer, Brian, glad you're (mostly) OK. You can always fix the bike, or replace it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 35 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 12:00 am

Take your time and heal well. Sorry to hear that one of the maggots in the Big Apple got you.
post #11 of 35 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 7:02 am

Brian,
Bummer Dude!
Glad that the damage to the bike and especially you, appears to be minor, but still a bummer "triptus interruptis". Heck maybe you can finagle a new bike (GT?) out of it!
Jeff
post #12 of 35 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 2:49 pm

Brian,

So sorry to hear about your traumatic get off - Hope all goes well and you can continue your trip back home to us in the Northwest...

If not, there is a lightly used 2005 with 8k for sale here in WA for
$14,900.00 in the Spokane newspaper want ads !!!

Tough way to get a new bike tho!! Hope all your body parts are intact and working !!!

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #13 of 35 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 4:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Bummer, Brian, glad you're (mostly) OK. You can always fix the bike, or replace it.
thanks to all for the well wishes, And Ken, I have not clicked on your link in your post. At my weakened condition doing so may prove to be very expensive!!! I will continue with my journey story when I get more time. I have decided to spend another day here in Pa. riding the hills with my cousins S.O. Ernie's call of the mishap was right on. The surface streets of downtown NYC are a war zone for large motorcycles. While waiting at Manhatten BMW the guys working their were telling me all their horror stories. Luckily I felt no nervousness when I reentered the city streets to do battle. Anyway, The dealer slipped me in, and after 6-7 hours I was back on the road with a new headlight assy and rear tire(just worn out) and 1k lighter in the wallet. One of The mounts holding the headlightlight were broken so the mech taped the light in place. It was pointing to the stars and annoying truckers as I passed them. I spent some time this morning redoing it and now seems secure for the ride home. And of course pointed towards the roadway. I felt really bad having some one else work on the bike and seeing the aftermath I feel worse... I'lll leave it at that for now. I figure another 2k will make her right again. The bike rides just like before so I really do not think there was any structural damage. Only a complete tear down will tell and thats still 2 weeks away when I return to the NW. While waiting at the dealer a guy came in for service that has been out riding for 3 months. Everywhere from alaska to almost South America. While in northern CA he ran into some riders who showed him around a bit. He thinks it was Our very own posse group. He said some guy named flowers rides real good for an old guy! I'll write more when I get a chance and post some pic's when I get online with my own computer. Keep the rubber on the ground and keep wearing that gear, All the time!

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #14 of 35 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 4:51 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up Good Hearing from You

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
Only a complete tear down will tell and thats still 2 weeks away when I return to the NW.
YOu know I'll be willing to help with anything you need.

Quote:
While waiting at the dealer a guy came in for service that has been out riding for 3 months. Everywhere from alaska to almost South America. While in northern CA he ran into some riders who showed him around a bit. He thinks it was Our very own posse group. He said some guy named flowers rides real good for an old guy!
At least the guy is a good judge of (a) character... OK, just kidding...

Quote:
I'll write more when I get a chance and post some pic's when I get online with my own computer. Keep the rubber on the ground and keep wearing that gear, All the time!
We agree. There can't be enough emphasis in riding with ATGATT!

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #15 of 35 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 6:54 pm

Whoa

Hey Brian;
Get better soon my friend!

Happy you didn't get hit by oncoming traffic when you were down.

If you need a hand with anything or need anything on this end let me know.
Ian
post #16 of 35 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 9:12 am

Brian,

Glad to hear you're alright. That's no fun, but as trite as it sounds, it sounds like it could have been a lot worse if you hadn't had the presence of mind to look for--and stay out of the way of--oncoming vehicles when you hit the pavement! Take care, and ride safely back here to God's country!

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
post #17 of 35 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:42 am

Smile

Brian,

Glad to hear you are back together than able to continue the ride!!

When heading home if you coming past spokane let me know - you have an open invitation to stay at the Hacienda ..........

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #18 of 35 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 11:00 am

Quote:
thanks to all for the well wishes, And Ken, I have not clicked on your link in your post. At my weakened condition doing so may prove to be very expensive!!! I will continue with my journey story when I get more time. I have decided to spend another day here in Pa. riding the hills with my cousins S.O. Ernie's call of the mishap was right on. The surface streets of downtown NYC are a war zone for large motorcycles. While waiting at Manhatten BMW the guys working their were telling me all their horror stories. Luckily I felt no nervousness when I reentered the city streets to do battle. Anyway, The dealer slipped me in, and after 6-7 hours I was back on the road with a new headlight assy and rear tire(just worn out) and 1k lighter in the wallet. One of The mounts holding the headlightlight were broken so the mech taped the light in place. It was pointing to the stars and annoying truckers as I passed them. I spent some time this morning redoing it and now seems secure for the ride home. And of course pointed towards the roadway. I felt really bad having some one else work on the bike and seeing the aftermath I feel worse... I'lll leave it at that for now. I figure another 2k will make her right again. The bike rides just like before so I really do not think there was any structural damage. Only a complete tear down will tell and thats still 2 weeks away when I return to the NW. While waiting at the dealer a guy came in for service that has been out riding for 3 months. Everywhere from alaska to almost South America. While in northern CA he ran into some riders who showed him around a bit. He thinks it was Our very own posse group. He said some guy named flowers rides real good for an old guy! I'll write more when I get a chance and post some pic's when I get online with my own computer. Keep the rubber on the ground and keep wearing that gear, All the time!

Brian
Glad to hear you are not seriously hurt.
Be safe on return trip home.

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

post #19 of 35 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 2:28 pm

Glad you're OK, hope your ride home is uneventful. I won't even drive a cage in NYC, you've got to have serious balls to ride in NYC, anyone that can handle that traffic has my respect. Traffic in NYC is a full contact sport.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #20 of 35 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 5:49 pm

WOW, Sorry to hear about your mishap Brian. We have to much work to do here for that kind of deal 8-). Ride home safely and know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. Be safe!

Larry Norris

Larry Norris
99 K1200LTC w/custom trailer (Champ)
Olympia, WA
post #21 of 35 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 11:38 pm

Cool

Brian -

Just back from a trip and caught your post. Glad to hear that you're mostly back to normal and weren't trashed too bad. Ride safe back to our NW. You have a pillow at my place should you need it. I also have a beemer friend in Santa Fe, NM and Pagosa Springs, CO who would put you up or whatever.

Denny
post #22 of 35 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 2:35 pm

Hey Brian,

I hate reading of your latest ride through NY.

Sorry to hear of your smack in the back.

Hope to see you and get the gang together once you get back for a local ride with our buddies.

You take care and be safe,
post #23 of 35 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 6:00 pm

2k in the last 48 hours and I am safely at my brothers cabin In the NM mountains. Its time for some green chili and margaritas!!!!! There was a lot of rain in the NE and central states but sure better than combat riding or even high winds! Its getting pretty windy here right now so she is parked with some blocks under her. I never thought I would say this out loud, But I miss the NW!! And of course my riding buddies. Hopefully I can post a pic or two tomorrow. Enjoy...

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #24 of 35 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 12:47 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
2k in the last 48 hours...
Your progress is inspiring, grasshopper. You learn well.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #25 of 35 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 11:00 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I never thought I would say this out loud, But I miss the NW!! And of course my riding buddies. Hopefully I can post a pic or two tomorrow. Enjoy...
When you get back let's get together and fix what needs to be fixed and I'll show a road that'll surely put a smile on that mug of yours

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #26 of 35 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 10:01 am

Getting home may prove to be interesting. I want to take the twisties thru NM,Colorado, and Utah. But there seems to be snow in those hills. Any ideas?

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #27 of 35 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 12:41 pm

Cool

Brian -

It's way early for serious snow to fall and stay in CO and UT. There are often events, but they don't last long. If you can afford the time to hunker down for several hours or a day my experience there over 30 years suggests those rides would still be fine. One route I highly recommend would be to find your way to the Four Corners area where CO-UT-NM & AZ come together and thread your way over to Mexican Hat or Blanding in Utah. Hwy 95 to Halls Crossing on Lake Powell that will take you to Bullfrog is a fine ride. Check the ferry schedule for the trip from Halls Crossing to Bullfrog to make sure it will work for you. North from Bullfrog will take you to Hanksville and a left turn through Capitol Reef National Park - spectacular. There is a wonderful campground in the park at Fruita - near the visitor center. Just west of Capitol Reef NP I highly recommend Hwy 12 (known as "the 12") over Boulder Mtn to Boulder and Escalante, UT - you won't be sorry. You could duck into Bryce Canyon NP along the way and then thread your way over to Nevada and Hwy 50 - that "lonliest road in America", but a great ride. Watch for that friendly patrolman around Ely!

Just some off hand thoughts for you to consider, particularly if you crave some redrock country riding. Ride safe.

Denny
post #28 of 35 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 12:59 pm

Cool

Brian -

Wasn't sure if you have good Internet access so I checked the Halls Crossing to Bullfrog ferry schedule. As of September 15th the ferry runs every two hours from 8 am to 4 pm (8a, 10a, 12n, 2p, and 4p). Costs $8 for a motorcycle and rider.

Denny
post #29 of 35 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 2:19 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I know you're less interested in Interstates, but Weather.com has a handy Interstate forecast page that gives covers the whole country. It can be quite useful for overall planning.

I'm still jealous of your ride, though.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #30 of 35 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 7:08 pm

Thanks again for the help. It looks like I will be leaving mid morning and going north to the Jemez mountains then to the 4 corners area and on to moab. Hopefully stopping north of SLC for the night. I'll check the weather and plan accordingly from there.

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #31 of 35 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 8:37 pm

The good news is that I tore the bike down tonight and found no structural damage to any frame or metal parts except a bent crash bar. The bad news is that a lot of scratches and broken plastic tabs to various fairings. I tallied up the parts from the A&S website and so far I'm at $4500. Thats without any labor. Does any one know if the A&S site quotes are current? And are they discounted like Chicago BMW's 20% off?

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #32 of 35 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 1:00 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
The good news is that I tore the bike down tonight and found no structural damage to any frame or metal parts except a bent crash bar. The bad news is that a lot of scratches and broken plastic tabs to various fairings. I tallied up the parts from the A&S website and so far I'm at $4500. Thats without any labor. Does any one know if the A&S site quotes are current? And are they discounted like Chicago BMW's 20% off?
Glad you and your bike are in pretty good shape Brian. I've bought from A&S in the past 6 months and the price was correct as quoted on the site. No discount though.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #33 of 35 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 1:24 am

Smile

Quote:
Brian, how bad are the crash bars? They can be straightened if not actually bent too bad. If they are beyond repair I may have some that are useable if you don't mind a few scratches. Might save a few bucks and they are nearby! You can give me a ring on my cell if need be. I should be around tomorrow afternoon. Heading over to Art's in the morning to help him on his 24K, then coming home to hopefully do my 60K!

If you don't have my number handy PM me and I'll send it to ya!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #34 of 35 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 2:32 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Let his insurance company cover it. But yeah, that plastic can add up real fast. Still much cheaper than a hospital though.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #35 of 35 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 8:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Brian, how bad are the crash bars? They can be straightened if not actually bent too bad. If they are beyond repair I may have some that are useable if you don't mind a few scratches. Might save a few bucks and they are nearby! You can give me a ring on my cell if need be. I should be around tomorrow afternoon. Heading over to Art's in the morning to help him on his 24K, then coming home to hopefully do my 60K!

If you don't have my number handy PM me and I'll send it to ya!

John
Thanks for the offer John, We will see how things pan out. If she ends up being totalled I just may have to take a closer look at that GT thing......

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in