Sputtering LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 12:37 am Thread Starter

Sputtering LT

Ok all you northwesters,

Here's your chance to shine with an issue to resolve. I have a 2003 K1200LTC that I just bought used with 9.3K on it. It is my first BMW following many years of other makes/models. Upon riding, I have noticed what I would call a sputter when the bike is under low or no load conditions on the throttle, especially constant speeds ~2500-3000 RPM. It sounds like it is missing (like a carbureted bike needing new jets). It also has a very noticeable burble when you roll of the throttle part way and decelerate. When you then advance the throttle slowly to accelerate there is a slight hesitation and then smooth acceleration until I maintain speed again or declerate again, wherein the condition returns.

I have taken it to the dealer where I bought it and was told by the tech(s) that it is normal. I just can't believe this to be true. I love the bike but this condition is absolutely driving me nuts.

Any suggestions? Any one else have this condition? What kind of conditions do you all have with your machines...smooth throughout or otherwise? I have heard the gamut of mapping, plugs, etc. I just want to fix it, but I need to convince someone that I am not just imagining the condition.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 2:52 pm

I have an '05 with the same problem plus it also sputters and spats when I first start it and if I blip the throttle to soon it stalls. On top of that it spews a mist of what I belive to be oil on the garage floor when I first start up and rev it a bit. I only park it on the center stand, run premium fuel, and don't baby it at all when riding (they seem to love the higher RPM's) The dealer has it now, and is telling me it is unfortunately it is all normal for the LT. I am very disappointed and frustrated. Spending this kind of money on a bike and it runs like crap. Any ideas or suggestions guys?
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 3:00 pm

Your both in the "Limp Home" mode? but one would think the dealer read the codes off the the chip.

Vince Weidig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 7:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwlv
On top of that it spews a mist of what I belive to be oil on the garage floor when I first start up and rev it a bit.
My 2000 does this... Still getting 45+ MPG however...

What's "Limp Home Mode".

Last edited by _Warren_; Oct 20th, 2005 at 10:15 pm.
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 9:54 pm

Lightbulb Limp Home Mode

Check out this thread from the K1200LT Forum on the Site here.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949

It is about 3 pages back if you happen to go to that forum. Hopefully it will explain a little more about the Mode than I can. I've never actually encountered this mode myself, just the "Failed Rear Drive Mode"!

Hope it helps.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 10:51 pm Thread Starter

I tred the battery disconnect trick for 5 min to reset the computer. No change other than the fact I had to reset my radio, clock etc.

I went back to my dealer today and had my salesman listen. He is a very knowledgeable guy and he agreed that the bike was not running right and that is would likely be sorted out during the 12K service. My fear is that I spend big $$ on the servive and it still isn't right. I want to fix the problem indeed, but I also want to know what the heck makes it run like this. Gotta be something computer generated.

I also ran the new 05 demo while at the dealer and it sounded fine. I didn't ride it but it sounded better for sure.
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 12:34 am

Canisterectomy

I can't tell for sure from your description, but I had very similar symptoms on my '02. I performed the "canisterectomy" outlined in the hall of wisdom, and all my symptoms went away.

You may want to try just disconnnecting the hoses from the canister without actually removing it just to see if if makes a difference.

If you end up taking the canister out, another member at CCR 2005 suggested mounting an air compressor in this location.

Jeff
post #8 of 9 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 1:27 am

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Check out this thread from the K1200LT Forum on the Site here.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949

It is about 3 pages back if you happen to go to that forum. Hopefully it will explain a little more about the Mode than I can. I've never actually encountered this mode myself, just the "Failed Rear Drive Mode"!

Hope it helps.

John

John-- unfortunately, I think you're the NW expert on lost rears--especially two in such a short timeframe. How's the last one holding up??
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 7:21 am

Red face Lost Rear Drives

(Please excuse the thread hi-jack)

Jeff, no leaks recently! It looks like they must have somehow nicked the seal upon install back at Boise? The only strange thing is why it took so many miles for it to start leaking afterward, if that was the case! Time will tell.

On the sputtering issue which this thread was concerning, is there any hunting of the RPMs? In other words, does the engine not idle steady? If it does hunt then you may have something as simple as a vacuum hose disconnected along your fuel rail. This is quite common, Just thinking out loud here.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in