Rich's Custom Seats in Seattle? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 6:08 pm Thread Starter

Rich's Custom Seats in Seattle?

Alright, I've been riding my 2005 LT for almost 6 months now during my daily commute. I love this bike...........But I think it is time to explore options for the seat! It's ok for the 35 minute commute but have tried it on longer day rides and have a really sore tailbone. I have read all the posts in the general forum about russell, corbin, kontour and such but before I send my seat out of town to be worked on just wondering if any locals have used Rich's Custom Seats in Seattle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 6:30 pm

Jed,

FYI : I am in Spokane and I know Richs is closer to you in Seattle but don"t let the distance to Russell hinder your decision. I love my Russell on my 05 LT and they have quick turn around times to get your seat done and also a Ride in & ride out in 1 day service if needed...

Comes with a 2 year warranty and complete satisfaction warranty..

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #3 of 6 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 7:33 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12LT_Jed
Alright, I've been riding my 2005 LT for almost 6 months now during my daily commute. I love this bike...........But I think it is time to explore options for the seat! It's ok for the 35 minute commute but have tried it on longer day rides and have a really sore tailbone. I have read all the posts in the general forum about russell, corbin, kontour and such but before I send my seat out of town to be worked on just wondering if any locals have used Rich's Custom Seats in Seattle?
Rich's in Seattle rebuilt my seat 2.5 years ago with a gel insert, leather cover and a really nice built in leather back rest. His people do top notch work. I would go back again.

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 12:15 am

I've had the seats completely rebuilt (by Rich's) on both my LT and my Aprilia, and I'm totally happy with them. They can explain the technical reasons to choose them over the other fine custom seat makers (I won't get into that here), but suffice it to say that even if I was going to be in the neighborhood of any of the other companies, I'd still wait to have Rich's do mine.

Assuming that the quality of the customization is at least comparable (and I think Rich's seats are "at least" as good as any others), location IS an issue, since it is very possible that after you get your seat done and use it awhile, you'll discover some little area of slight nagging discomfort. If you can easily make it back to the place that did the customizing, you can easily get that remedied (Rich will do it at no charge).

One last point. Rich owned (might still own) an LT himself, so he's VERY familiar with the bike, its seats, and how to optimize its comfort.

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 9:44 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys for your info! I think I will drive by and talk to them and schedule an appt. Hopefully they won't be booked months in advance.
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 7:21 pm

Yep

Rich still owns the k1200lt. He said it would not be worth it to buy a new one when the '07 or 08's come out.

Anyways. I have used his seats before on our '99. My wife and I did. Lasted through some vicious weather. I am planning on going back and using his seats again on our '04 this winter. I think he does an excellent job!.

Last edited by ihbond; Aug 24th, 2006 at 7:44 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in