No matter how many times you do a tech session, there is always some new challenge. We got the bike torn down, valves checked, and all fluids replaced in just over 3 hours. After an excellent lunch (thanks Pauline) we got the fuel filter changed and the rear tire changed. The screw clamps on the fuel filter seemed a bit loose, so I figured I'd have to swap them out next time.
I'd realized on the way over that I'd forgotten my PHID lights and MotoLocker shelf. So I borrowed Ernie's bike (thanks Ernie) and retrieved them. We got the Motolocker shelf mounted and the V1 wiring rerouted up to it, but decided to pass on the PHIDs (sorry Howard) as there was no wiring harness, and some rather odd looking power plugs on the ballasts.
Just after an excellent dinner (thank again Pauline) we got the bike all buttoned back up and I headed back. I got about halfway when the bike sputtered and started to die. I'd purposely let the fuel run low in preparation for removing the tank, but should have had enough to get me back.
I rolled off the nearest off-ramp, and coasted as a far as I could. I gotta break this running out of fuel habit. I could see businesses ahead, but couldn't quite roll there. As I was checking the GPS for the nearest fuel station (which happened to be closed), a pickup rolled up and asked if I needed help. He returned in 5 minutes with a dirt bike fuel can with just under a gallon in it. The bike sputtered, but wouldn't quite catch. I rolled the bike to a parking lot, and we went off to get more gas. After 3 additional gallons and rolling down a long hill still wouldn't get the bike started, I knew what it was. So I called my roommate, who kindly got his trailer and retrieved me (thanks, Thom).
The next day, I removed the tupperware and stingray and pulled the fuel gauge sensor tube. Sure enough, one end of fuel hose had come off of the filter. Next time things don't quite feel right, stop right there and get better clamps before proceeding.
So after a trip to the local hardware store for a Really Big pair of channel locks and a couple of really small hose clamps, I pulled the tank, replaced the clamps, replaced the quick-disconnect o-rings, and hit the starter.
Yep, a dead battery.
Luckily, Thom had jumper cables, so after I verified that the bike ran OK, I put the tupperware back on, jumped it once more, and went for a nice, long ride to charge things back up.
I'm so looking forward to having a real clutch again soon.
I didn't want to spend the whole weekend working on the bike, but having good friends both virtual and local and kind strangers meant that I had all the support I needed. The bike feels much better now, though I still smell a bit like petrol. All in all, not a bad weekend then.