Accident - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 9:49 am Thread Starter

Accident

Well I had my first get off. It happened on wed night on the way to work. As I was riding east bound on East Burnside along the MAX line there was 2 cars in front of me and then the first did a quick stop for a pedestrian to cross and before I knew it the front wheel was slidding out from under me as bike was slidding on its side and I was hitting the ground.
I am not sure if I hit a slick spot or what.
I was VERY Lucky as The only injury is a sepeperated shoulder, Looked like I slid into the curb with my shoulder. and just a tad of road rash on my knee (wearing jeans)
I am glad I had the Flex jacket on as it saved my upper body. The jacket has shredded areas at the ellbows and on the forearms.
The bike is in Portland Motorcycle now and I will see later this week what the damage is.

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 10:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsBMWminer
Well I had my first get off. It happened on wed night on the way to work. As I was riding east bound on East Burnside along the MAX line there was 2 cars in front of me and then the first did a quick stop for a pedestrian to cross and before I knew it the front wheel was slidding out from under me as bike was slidding on its side and I was hitting the ground.
I am not sure if I hit a slick spot or what.
I was VERY Lucky as The only injury is a sepeperated shoulder, Looked like I slid into the curb with my shoulder. and just a tad of road rash on my knee (wearing jeans)
I am glad I had the Flex jacket on as it saved my upper body. The jacket has shredded areas at the ellbows and on the forearms.
The bike is in Portland Motorcycle now and I will see later this week what the damage is.
Hope you heal quickly you get back on the road soon (poor choice of words) lets try this - hope to see you riding soon.

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
96 HD Ultra Classic (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
05 HD Ultra Classic "Pounder" (sold)
05 BMW K1200LT Graphite "Liebchen"
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 10:51 am

Try to be patient and heal well.

In the meanwhile, use this experience to learn what you can do better from now on. Ask yourself "the HARD questions". What could I have done to avoid this? What did I do wrong? Would more training have helped? Would better gear have helped? And so on...

I'm not trying to kick a man when he's done, just trying to help. In '95, I crashed. And I crashed HARD! I took that time to "get real" with myself and decide what it was going to take IF I was going to keep riding. Since then, I have realized what I did wrong. How I could've avoided that crash. I've received more training. And most of all, ATTGAT. And really good gear, to boot.

HTH I really do.

post #4 of 18 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 12:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Glad You're OK!

Hey Tim,

Sorry to hear about your get-off. We all have had a fall at one time or another, and yours is a learning experience for all of us. I've been riding to work every day for the past month, and I too have been in some near miss situations. I keep thinking that I need to be more aware of the basics around me. And, space and distance from others is the issue that keeps croping up in my daily ride. It sound like that is what bit you.

Perhaps its time we have a get-together and go over some road-riding basics. It seems like the Team Oregon organization is the best around for delivering the safest message. click here Maybe we can work together with them to put together a class with folks off this list. NorCal Riders had an advanced training day dedicated to the LT and other bigger bikes. Perhaps we can get some interest in an intermediate or refresher training.

I hope you start feeling better soon. My separated shoulder was a bear, but it was also a full torn dislocation. I hope yours is not that serious. The bike is in very capable hands at PMC. If there is anything I can do to help just PM me.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #5 of 18 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 12:46 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Bummer, Tim. Glad you're relatively OK, and the bike can always be fixed, or replaced.

I'd be up for a local LT riding course. It's been too long.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 18 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 1:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
Hey Tim,

Sorry to hear about your get-off. We all have had a fall at one time or another, and yours is a learning experience for all of us. I've been riding to work every day for the past month, and I too have been in some near miss situations. I keep thinking that I need to be more aware of the basics around me. And, space and distance from others is the issue that keeps croping up in my daily ride. It sound like that is what bit you.

Perhaps its time we have a get-together and go over some road-riding basics. It seems like the Team Oregon organization is the best around for delivering the safest message. click here Maybe we can work together with them to put together a class with folks off this list. NorCal Riders had an advanced training day dedicated to the LT and other bigger bikes. Perhaps we can get some interest in an intermediate or refresher training.

I hope you start feeling better soon. My separated shoulder was a bear, but it was also a full torn dislocation. I hope yours is not that serious. The bike is in very capable hands at PMC. If there is anything I can do to help just PM me.

Ernie
Thanks
once I get feeling better we will get together for some sort of class.
Until then
Thanks for the words of encouragement

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

post #7 of 18 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 1:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Bummer, Tim. Glad you're relatively OK, and the bike can always be fixed, or replaced.

I'd be up for a local LT riding course. It's been too long.
Ken
Thanks and we will get something going once all is back together and well.

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

post #8 of 18 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 1:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Try to be patient and heal well.

In the meanwhile, use this experience to learn what you can do better from now on. Ask yourself "the HARD questions". What could I have done to avoid this? What did I do wrong? Would more training have helped? Would better gear have helped? And so on...

I'm not trying to kick a man when he's done, just trying to help. In '95, I crashed. And I crashed HARD! I took that time to "get real" with myself and decide what it was going to take IF I was going to keep riding. Since then, I have realized what I did wrong. How I could've avoided that crash. I've received more training. And most of all, ATTGAT. And really good gear, to boot.

HTH I really do.
Joe
Thanks
I have been asking those "Hard Questions" and I Will have ATGATT from here out!

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

post #9 of 18 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 2:33 pm

Unhappy

Tim, hope you heel quickly so you will be able to "get back on the horse!" Sorry to hear about the get off, but it happens to all of us sooner or later. It is a good time to consider your future riding though, as Joe suggests. I was a fan of Levis only for my legs in the hot weather until I had a similar get off down in hot California a few years ago. Even though we had the protective gear for our legs (1st Gear) we had decided to forego them due to the heat. Wrong decision! Ripped knee and several sutures interrupted that summer ride! I have subscribed to ATGATT ever since.

I would say that your Bike is in good hands these days with PMC. I would not have felt that way several years ago, but I feel they have improved in their Service Dept. Jeremy is a conscientious mechanic, and the Service Mgr. is a big improvement over what they had down at the old location on 82nd!

Good Luck!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #10 of 18 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 3:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Tim, hope you heel quickly so you will be able to "get back on the horse!" Sorry to hear about the get off, but it happens to all of us sooner or later. It is a good time to consider your future riding though, as Joe suggests. I was a fan of Levis only for my legs in the hot weather until I had a similar get off down in hot California a few years ago. Even though we had the protective gear for our legs (1st Gear) we had decided to forego them due to the heat. Wrong decision! Ripped knee and several sutures interrupted that summer ride! I have subscribed to ATGATT ever since.

I would say that your Bike is in good hands these days with PMC. I would not have felt that way several years ago, but I feel they have improved in their Service Dept. Jeremy is a conscientious mechanic, and the Service Mgr. is a big improvement over what they had down at the old location on 82nd!

Good Luck!

John

John
I will be ATGATT from here out!
As far as PMC i will agree that they are much better now than they were on 82nd.
thanks for the words of encouragement

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

post #11 of 18 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 1:32 pm

Cool

Always hard to hear about a get off and hope you'll be back on your feet before too long. I'm leaving today for a 5-6 day trip and your post is a reminder to watch evrybody out there, including the road conditions. Those reminders are always good. I'd be up for the focused training idea. One thing that is a continual concern as I ride my bike or drive my car is the inability to maintain a safe distance between me and the vehicle ahead of me, especially in urban settings. Every time I open up a safe distance it gets filled up by someone in a hurry to save 30 seconds.
post #12 of 18 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 12:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avonfloater
One thing that is a continual concern as I ride my bike or drive my car is the inability to maintain a safe distance between me and the vehicle ahead of me, especially in urban settings. Every time I open up a safe distance it gets filled up by someone in a hurry to save 30 seconds.
Space and Time is all we have to keep us safe out there. Even 4 seconds isn't always enough, but it is about all you can give without someone wanting to shoehorn themselves in front of you. I spent a good portion today riding to Redding. The traffic was unusually heavy for a weekday. The driving practices were not all that good. I luckily made it without a scratch on me or our bike.

I'll inquire about getting a rider class put together and post my findings.

Ride Safe.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #13 of 18 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 3:44 pm

Garage
Ernie,

If there is anything I can do to assist in accomplishing this goal please don't hesitate to contact me.

Patrick.
post #14 of 18 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 6:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick2000
Ernie,

If there is anything I can do to assist in accomplishing this goal please don't hesitate to contact me.

Patrick.
PM's sent both ways on this subject and I'm going to start working on it tonight. I'll start a thread as soon as I have some correspondence coming back from Team Oregon.

Thanks Patrick.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #15 of 18 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 6:44 pm

Red face Future riding class

I know several LT riders that would jump a the chance for a special "Large Bike Class". Please keep me informed.

Tim - Glad your not seriously hurt. Sometimes when you can't be a good example, you can always be a horrible warning. Get well and we can all meet up in the future class.

Randi Kobernik
2005 K1200LT with a 2007 Hannigan Trike Kit "The Dragon"

It is not wise to meddle in the affairs of Dragons for thou art crunchy and good with katsup.
post #16 of 18 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 7:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedreamcycle
I know several LT riders that would jump a the chance for a special "Large Bike Class". Please keep me informed.

Tim - Glad your not seriously hurt. Sometimes when you can't be a good example, you can always be a horrible warning. Get well and we can all meet up in the future class.
Randi
Thanks and will Do

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

post #17 of 18 Old Aug 19th, 2006, 11:49 am

Cool

Ernie -

I'd be up to help out with any details you need done.

Denny
post #18 of 18 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 9:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avonfloater
Ernie -

I'd be up to help out with any details you need done.

Denny
Thanks Denny. I'll be sure to call.
Ernie

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in