Iron Butt 1000 & 1500 Run - Advice - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 8:06 pm Thread Starter

Iron Butt 1000 & 1500 Run - Advice

Hey Oregon riders. August 11th & 12th (if my schedule sticks), I plan to complete a 1000 and 1500 mile iron butt run. Attached is my route and was hoping for some advice. I have not driven up that way in 20+ years. I have also attached my Mapsource route. I assume the weather is cooler than heading east into the desert.

I am trying to ballance the ability to run at a quick pace, but not be a total boring ride.

My plan is:
Do a 1000 miles the first day (get the hard day done first)
Stay the night at Burns (Burns is at 1002 miles)
Do the last 500 miles on a good nights rest

Thanks so much for the advice
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: bmp a.bmp (773.4 KB, 68 views)
Attached Files
File Type: gdb Ironbutt 1000 and 1500 Oregon.gdb (170.3 KB, 64 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 10:47 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
The overall route looks fine. 1002 miles is cutting it a bit close, but as long as it measures out using mapping software you should be OK. None of us trust the BMW odometers, and neither does the IBA (though you still need to supply that documentation).

Be prepared for any kind of weather. You'll probably see 100+ heading through Redding, and closer to 50 after the sun drops through Oregon. And rain is always a possibility. Just try and plan things so that you don't catch Portland during it's "rush" hour. It's not nearly as bad as what you're used to, but then again you can't split lanes either. You'll also be riding a bit slower through Oregon, even on I-5, so plan for that.

My BunBurner was 750 miles, a 10-hour break (8 of which was sleeping), then another 750 miles back. That averaged just under 60 mph including fuel stops. You can do 1000 miles in 14-15 hours pretty easily on the Interstates, if you keep you gas stops short.

Keep your CamelBak full and easily accessible, and it also helps if you have energy bars that you can grab quickly at a gas stop or even while riding.

Good luck, and most importantly have fun.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 10:02 am

I would advise you to get atleast 1025 miles on the first day, just to be sure. When I did my SS1K, I finished at 1080, just because of the route I chose. For the BB, I did 1600, again, because of the route I chose and I wanted to reach a certain location by a certain time

Prakash Krishnamurthy

2004 R1150RT Titanium Grey

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 10:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Mark,

Ditto a lot of Ken's advice. You will love the ride. You can pad your SS a little with your first night in John Day instead. The extra 60 miles goes real fast out there and John Day has a few places to stay.

Watch carefully for deer. The state must have had a couple good years for the critters, 'cause they are everywhere! Watch also for rolling radar as well as troopers just sitting in the tumble weeds looking for a stray fast-one to tag. The posted speed is "55" on all rural highways in Oregon, so be careful.

Good Luck. If you need any help I've PM'd you my phone number

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #5 of 7 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 11:18 am

Just a couple of things to factor in -

August 11th is a Friday, try and plan your timing so you do not hit Portland durning the Friday afternoon/evening rush hour.

I agree with Ken 1002 miles might be cutting it to close. With two 90 degree directional changes in your route you would need gas stops at those corners. When the IBA checks your route they may find short cuts around those corners and reduce the milage. I would plot a route with at least 1050 miles.

If you need a starting witness, let me know your starting time.

good Luck

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 11:40 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for all the advice (including all the PMs). I plan to leave at ~5:30am (the am is the best time to ride ) to miss the Redding heat and Portland commute. (dont want to get in too late, since I want to leave early the next am again).

I have been thinking about the 1002 miles (being so close to the limit), so I will review/update my route based on feedback from the group.

I have also heard from many others about the 55 limit to the point that I believe I will adjust my time projections. Not worth getting a ticket and killing a good ride.

Ernie: I received your PM and put a copy in my bag already; thanks so much.
John; Thank you for the offer to witness. I have my neighbor primed up, but I will let you know if something happens.

Thanks again for everyone’s advice.
Mark
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 4:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEngland
Thanks to everyone for all the advice (including all the PMs). I plan to leave at ~5:30am (the am is the best time to ride ) to miss the Redding heat and Portland commute. (dont want to get in too late, since I want to leave early the next am again).

Thanks again for everyone’s advice.
Mark
Have fun and ride safe.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in