visiting the west need trip info - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jul 15th, 2006, 7:18 am Thread Starter

visiting the west need trip info

A friend & I will be visiting in the west soon (the intent of this ride is to see the redwoods) we will be making a loop from MI following Rt 2 through Glacier then to I 90W into Washington, down 97 through Oregon to Eureka CA and anywere else you living there may offer. From there to Phoenix AZ then off to Sturgis SD for the ralley then back home 15 days later.

I have a few concerns about the wild fires I have been watching the fire maps and am asking for your help as well, Also if you know places of interest that may be worth seeing that will be great.

any info on Crater Lake places to stay ect. would be helpful.,

Thanks for any and all help
Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jul 15th, 2006, 8:41 am

Well - Here are some NW suggestions for great motorcycling roads - Look into Lolo pass - US -12 from Missoula, MT to Clarkston, WA. This section is 200 miles next to rivers and is great - It also contains the much photographed - "Winding roads next 77 miles" sign. Then drop south on WA- 129 to Enterprise Oregon then Us-26 through John Day OR to US-97.
US-97 between Bend and Klamath Falls has many beautiful side routes but the road itself is straight and lots of trees next to the road blocking views.
We could route you around WA and OR that would take a few weeks ;-}

Steve
Olympia, WA
post #3 of 16 Old Jul 15th, 2006, 9:17 am

Smile

I would advise you to check out www.Pashnit.com to see some of the most recommended MC roads on the west coast.

Living up and down the West coast I can tell you there are lots of great roads in Northern Ca, Oregon and Washington. Here are afew I rode on a regular basis. I would add living in Spokane now the Palouse and areas around Lake Coeur D'alene are magnificent as is Lolo pass in Montana.

Good Luck!

Check these few of my favorites roads out.

I taught my S/O to ride curves practicing on Mosquito Ridge!
700 curves in 31 miles non stop.

Ride to Iowa Hill - Gold Rush History

Highway 36 - Red Bluff to Pacific Coast - 3-D Map

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #4 of 16 Old Jul 15th, 2006, 8:40 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeigerFlyer
A friend & I will be visiting in the west soon (the intent of this ride is to see the redwoods) we will be making a loop from MI following Rt 2 through Glacier then to I 90W into Washington, down 97 through Oregon to Eureka CA and anywere else you living there may offer. From there to Phoenix AZ then off to Sturgis SD for the ralley then back home 15 days later.

any info on Crater Lake places to stay ect. would be helpful.,

Gary
Enterprise, Joseph, Oregon and Hells Canyon region is hard to beat. Route US 26 through John Day OR is a blast. The 26 will take you east to Bend, which is a good place to spend the night. From there you cannot go wrong, but the loop over Mckenzie Pass is a must see, as it is a spectacular and fun road. From Bend Follow the (circular route ) starting at the 20 to the 242 to the 126 back to Sisters, decide from there where to go next. Crater Lake is a must. Camping and accommodations are seldom a problem in Oregon, so enjoy.

I have pointed out "my" favorite spots in my state, but the entire state of Oregon could equally apply depending on which lens one is viewing through on the particular day.
post #5 of 16 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 5:14 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the the help, I will be meeting with my riding partner this morning & we will be checking the map for some final planing.
post #6 of 16 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 11:57 am

My advice would be to avoid US97 south through Oregon as much as possible. While a few bits are OK, most are horrdily straight slogs through unattractive territory. Particularly awful is the section between Bend and Crater Lake, straight, slow and hot. Oregon 20 is similarly dull and hot.

Unless you have a reason for going all the way across Washington to 97, you might think of dropping south a bit further east. Hwy 12 from Missoula MT down Lolo Pass to Idaho and points west is superb. South from Lewiston Idaho through Asotin and Rattlesnake Grade (OR3) across the Grande Ronde River and into the Wallowa Mtns. (Joseph) is exceptional riding (best pie and ice cream on eath at Boggins Oasis at the bottom of RS Grade). West from LaGrande OR on 244 to Ukiah is a serene sweeper heaven with no cars. US395 from Ukiah south is beautiful through the Blue Mountains. US26 has some lovely parts as well.

The national forest roads (stick to the two-digit variety) are awesome across most of the state. All the roads through the John Day River area are sublime, as are the ones mentioned above. Mackenzie Pass was closed four weeks ago, but if its open, its a must-see. The forest road around Cougar Reservoir between OR126 and Westfir/Oakridge is superb. Take a couple extra days and just criscross the Cascades and coast range.

The lodge at Crater Lake is excellent, breakfasts or afternoon brews on the patio overlooking the lake heavenly (if you can get a reservation; although even if you don't stop there for breakfast or beers!). If not, I've stayed at Cater lake Resort, a few miles south in Fort Klamath (http://www.craterlakeresort.com/) in the nice clean cabins.

Phew, I could go all day!

Have fun. If you need any help route planning, send me a PM!

pg
Beaverton
post #7 of 16 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 4:45 pm Thread Starter

thanks for all the good advice, we looked at the map and are happy with what was purposed.

we also started talking about Mt St Helen is this worth seeing??
post #8 of 16 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 5:41 pm

In a word YES - The roads down and around Mt St Helens have 3 of the top 4 motorcycling roads in Washington State according to the "Destination Highways Washington" motorcycling book. The Volcano is also very interesting to see. As stated earlier - we could plot out a few weeks of riding just in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and B.C. Canada.
US - 12 to Randle then wander straight south to the Columbia river via paved forest roads around MT St Helens is a GREAT trip.

Quote:
thanks for all the good advice, we looked at the map and are happy with what was purposed.

we also started talking about Mt St Helen is this worth seeing??
post #9 of 16 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 9:30 pm Thread Starter

Yep! Mt St Helens will be added to the route
post #10 of 16 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 9:47 pm Thread Starter

post #11 of 16 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 9:55 pm

If you could visit only one Redwood forest area on the west coast don't miss THIS:

http://www.roadtripusa.com/routes/pa...diahsmith.html

It literally makes the rest look pretty lame.

Stout Grove is where they filmed part of the original Star Wars. It is well worth going WAY out of your way to visit, and is easy to get to. One of the most unusual and beautiful places I've ever visited on this entire planet. I guarantee you your jaw will be dragging on the ground as you walk around.

If you have time visit the Lost Coast in California and take a short hike along pristine trails in the same condition they were 100 years ago:

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/location/ca/lost_co1.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #12 of 16 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 10:09 pm

Mt St Helens is fantastic, I was just there last weekend. BUT, The roads are not the same as when that book was written. They are still twisty but there are 2 small sections of loose gravel.(no big deal) And lots of rough road on the backside. (FR25 and FR90) Lots of pavement sinking on the downhill lane(cliffside) This past winter was hard on the roads up there.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #13 of 16 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 7:49 pm Thread Starter

well the LT is in for the 60K service and new front break pads and a new rear tire so we are ready to go... I talked to Bill last night and we are going to St Helens as far as the roads, we here in Michigan know how winter can destroy roads. if you all see a Black LTE and a HD with MI plates it may be us... Thanks for all the advice
post #14 of 16 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 11:36 pm

Have a great ride and if you need anything while in the neighborhood just holler

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #15 of 16 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 9:26 pm Thread Starter

Will be taking the PC if I can fine a place to hook up I'll up date ya'll along the way, how ever some day we will be tenting it.
post #16 of 16 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 11:29 pm

Garage
Quote:
Will be taking the PC if I can fine a place to hook up I'll up date ya'll along the way, how ever some day we will be tenting it.
I'll look for the posts, as I will be working in Eastern Oregon (midweek) during that time, and Bend, Medford, or Coos Bay on the weekends.

Have a great trip and ride smart.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in