Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Peoria, AZ, USA
Iron Butt Training
Here are some training tips from one of the
experienced Iron Butt Rally riders. I thought that
everyone would get a kick out of them.
Here are some extreme training ideas successful 2007
IBR applicants might consider:
- For those riding ST's, FJR's, or other "warm' bikes,
roast the crotch with a blow torch every few days to
build the appropriate scar tissue.
- Bring the bike into the house for the winter and sit
on it, instead of the couch, when watching TV. Be sure
to keep a death grip on the throttle. For
extra benefit, pour hot water down the pants to
duplicate that sweaty,
sticky, cooking in your own juices feeling.
- Sleep with the helmet on. Be sure to wear ear plugs,
too. With time this will build heavy calluses in the
ear canals to help avoid those nasty festering sores
during the rally.
- Practice making "U" turns often. Be sure to drop the
bike once in a while,during the process. This will
allow the rider to more efficiently go back
for those bonuses's or turns missed, during the rally.
- Practice plugging a tire, in the shower, with the
water running. For extra benefit, wear gloves and/or
turn the lights off.
- Push start the motorcycle every other start.
- Sleep in their boots. Of course, they must be wet.
- Practice deferring discharge of bodily waste as long
as possible. If they haven't waited until they are
hopping back and forth from leg to leg to maintain
control, they need to wait a bit longer. Hard core
riders might want to soil themselves once in a while
for maximum training benefit.
- Regularly spend time in a Sauna and a Steam Room in
full motorcycle gear, followed by a long jog, still in
- If it rains, snows, hails, and if their area has a
tornado or hurricane warning in effect, go for a long
- Search out the archives and read again and again,
every past IBR report and lay awake numerous nights
dreaming, scheming, wondering and worrying
about what adventures the 2007 IBR might hold in