"Crash Kills 59 Year Old BMW Rider" - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 10:30 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
ErnieA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milwaukie, OR, USA
Posts: 2,333
Unhappy "Crash Kills 59 Year Old BMW Rider"

I'm praying this is not someone on our list. Time is short and for the price of saving a little time passing on our rural roads can be fatal. Please be careful this holiday weekend and if someone knows who this poor departed friend is pass on our condolences.

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/storie....1ac1caaa.html

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ErnieA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 11:37 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA
Posts: 2,651
I hope it wasn't anyone from here. Last Thursday I attended a funeral for a good friend of mine. A woman pulled out in front of him on his motorcycle 3 years and 10 months ago. He had heavy brain trauma and never recovered. A real super guy with a great wife and 3 girls. I would think the family would be bitter about motorcycles but they weren't. They knew he loved them and were okay with that. They had a picture of him on his bike blown up and displayed it on the stage at the church. they had a really neat slide show with lots of pic's of him on motorcycles. A very strong and supportive family. Enjoy what you Love but do be careful

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
sanjaun2 is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 2:50 pm
Senior Member
 
avonfloater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ridgefield, WA, USA
Posts: 925
Cool

Sage advice about rural roads. I was on my way to pick up the Trout Lake GT stamp and one of the river runner buses pulled out of a dirt parking area along the river right in front of me. I had to brake hard to avoid the bus, let alone the boat trailer he was also pulling behind. Ride safe.
avonfloater is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 8:01 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA
Posts: 2,651
I am knocking on wood as I type this, I used to get cutoff all the time especially on previous bikes owned. But since I installed my low beam HID and a pair of hella's up high in a triangle pattern with the low beam. I rarely get cutoff anymore. Still knocking....

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
sanjaun2 is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 9:49 pm
Senior Member
 
usmctpdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle WA, USA
Posts: 865
Cool

I Guess I better get some additional lights put on, I had 2 close calls today...

Seems like I was more "Threatening looking" on my Hardley Dangerous than in my BMW "Go to Meetin" best with full face YELLOW Nolan on.... :^)

** I still yell at them when I catch up to them anyway!!! **

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

usmctpdog is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old Jul 4th, 2006, 1:36 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
ErnieA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milwaukie, OR, USA
Posts: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
I hope it wasn't anyone from here. Last Thursday I attended a funeral for a good friend of mine. A woman pulled out in front of him on his motorcycle 3 years and 10 months ago. He had heavy brain trauma and never recovered. A real super guy with a great wife and 3 girls. I would think the family would be bitter about motorcycles but they weren't. They knew he loved them and were okay with that. They had a picture of him on his bike blown up and displayed it on the stage at the church. they had a really neat slide show with lots of pic's of him on motorcycles. A very strong and supportive family. Enjoy what you Love but do be careful
Brian,

Sorry you lost your friend. I too have lost a friend to a crash. The family was also respectful for his love of motorcycling and racing. It was a shock to be with him one day and never to see him again. It is still hard to believe he is gone.

I have it on good authority that the individual in this case is not someone intimately associated with our site; but the fact still remains that this week has been one of many losses. Two riders were killed by someone crossing the line on hwy 18 to Lincoln City. Another was killed in a city accident and another lost a leg in a solo accident losing control and going through a guardrail. This is one crazy week! We all need to be on our guard and keep the riding at a reasonable level for reactivity. Let's all pledge to keep it on two wheels and give a lot of room to those not watching out for us.

Ernie

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ErnieA is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old Jul 4th, 2006, 4:04 pm
IBR# 366
 
meese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: West Linn, OR
Posts: 16,417
Garage
Dayle and I have had this same discussion. I don't want anything bad to happen while riding, and I do everything I can to avoid such problems, but still the risk is there. More miles means more experience, but also more chances for something random to happen. But riding is such a huge part of my life that I'm willing to accept those risks and try to mitigate them as best as I can. But if the worst should happen, then at least I was doing something I loved, and not hiding at home afraid that the sky is gonna fall.

My parents and my brothers have all ridden street bikes as well, though none of them do so now, nor have any of them put on the miles that I have. My younger brother still rides dirt bikes, and has a couple small ATVs for his sons. They make it a family day and just go out and have great fun.

So I believe that they would all understand as well if something happened to me, though I'd rather just avoid that whole scenario.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
meese is online now  
post #8 of 17 Old Jul 6th, 2006, 10:02 am
Senior Member
 
GoldenDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winchester, OR, USA
Posts: 279
Unhappy Crash

The rider in question was an instructor for Team Oregon. His wife is also an instructor. He was a member of the BMW Riders of Oregon. I never met him but those I've talked to have stated he was a safe and cautious rider. Even the "Best of the Best" can have accidents. He will be missed.

Randi Kobernik
2005 K1200LT with a 2007 Hannigan Trike Kit "The Dragon"

It is not wise to meddle in the affairs of Dragons for thou art crunchy and good with katsup.
GoldenDragon is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old Jul 6th, 2006, 10:43 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
ErnieA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milwaukie, OR, USA
Posts: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedreamcycle
The rider in question was an instructor for Team Oregon. His wife is also an instructor. He was a member of the BMW Riders of Oregon. I never met him but those I've talked to have stated he was a safe and cautious rider. Even the "Best of the Best" can have accidents. He will be missed.
Proof positive that we can never be too careful out there. I think I'm going to go for a ride today. You all be careful too.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ErnieA is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old Jul 6th, 2006, 1:33 pm
Senior Member
 
munson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Burkburnett, TX, USA
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
I'm praying this is not someone on our list. Time is short and for the price of saving a little time passing on our rural roads can be fatal. Please be careful this holiday weekend and if someone knows who this poor departed friend is pass on our condolences.

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/storie....1ac1caaa.html
That circumstance, following a slow moving car that turns left unexpectedly, has almost suckered me in, too. You are coming up on one or two cars slowing down with no signalling, and the urge is to blast around them. Sometimes the second car, thoughtful of the rider (a rare thing, but I have seen it) will signal a left turn to warn the rider the car ahead is turning. But if he doesn't and perhaps is blocking you from seeing the leading car's turn signal, danger danger danger. When in doubt, play it safe, please.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
munson is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old Jul 6th, 2006, 3:17 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by munson
That circumstance, following a slow moving car that turns left unexpectedly, has almost suckered me in, too. You are coming up on one or two cars slowing down with no signalling, and the urge is to blast around them. Sometimes the second car, thoughtful of the rider (a rare thing, but I have seen it) will signal a left turn to warn the rider the car ahead is turning. But if he doesn't and perhaps is blocking you from seeing the leading car's turn signal, danger danger danger. When in doubt, play it safe, please.
Hey, Rev --- exact circumstance which took Russ Locke down awhile back. Got a broken up hand out of it and a totaled LT. Happened on a two lane just outside Boerne. And if I remember right, no turn signals by the cager.
Dick is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 2:02 am
Senior Member
 
patrick2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 1,149
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedreamcycle
The rider in question was an instructor for Team Oregon. His wife is also an instructor. He was a member of the BMW Riders of Oregon. I never met him but those I've talked to have stated he was a safe and cautious rider. Even the "Best of the Best" can have accidents. He will be missed.
Randi,

I have avoided replying to this post for the last several days because of my closeness to this unfortunate ordeal and the fact that I did not feel comfortable discussing it on a public forum.

We laid Russ to rest this afternoon and began the healing process within the Team Oregon family. I had worked many courses with him and helped train him as an instructor some five years ago.

This man gave his heart and soul to the riders of Oregon weekend after weekend. Rider training was his passion. He was a natural teacher who had the ability to influence others through, example, demonstration and positive encouragement.

His personal skill level, cunning, and familiarity with the area in which the accident happened could not have prevented the fateful collision. Perhaps the lesson is to live each day to the fullest as we just never know. As pointed out in this post it can happen to the best of us when we least expect it, so be careful out there.



Slight correction to Randi's post, Randi said, "His wife is also an instructor" actually it is his daughter that is an instructor, but if he is listening he would have a big belly laugh at your post.
patrick2000 is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 8:28 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA
Posts: 2,651
Patrick,
Thanks for sharing with us and very sorry you have lost a friend

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
sanjaun2 is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 10:19 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
ErnieA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milwaukie, OR, USA
Posts: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick2000
Randi,

I have avoided replying to this post for the last several days because of my closeness to this unfortunate ordeal and the fact that I did not feel comfortable discussing it on a public forum.

We laid Russ to rest this afternoon and began the healing process within the Team Oregon family. I had worked many courses with him and helped train him as an instructor some five years ago.

This man gave his heart and soul to the riders of Oregon weekend after weekend. Rider training was his passion. He was a natural teacher who had the ability to influence others through, example, demonstration and positive encouragement.

His personal skill level, cunning, and familiarity with the area in which the accident happened could not have prevented the fateful collision. Perhaps the lesson is to live each day to the fullest as we just never know. As pointed out in this post it can happen to the best of us when we least expect it, so be careful out there.



Slight correction to Randi's post, Randi said, "His wife is also an instructor" actually it is his daughter that is an instructor, but if he is listening he would have a big belly laugh at your post.
Thank you Patrick for sharing this information. I took my daughter for a ride down the Willamette Valley yesterday and thought of this accident and kept a vigilant eye on the traffic around me. I hope the family is coping well with the loss of their loved one. Russ will be missed by those who knew him, and the rest of the community will miss the opportunity of being taught to ride by him.
Regards, E

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ErnieA is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 11:46 am
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 128
Wink Occillating Headlight Beam

There is something to say about the "blinking" headlights devices We have them and I can recall several times where cage drivers getting ready to enter the roadway, even into the other lane, have stopped, and some have actually retreated, I guess believing I was some sort of emergency vehicle. Having once responded in similar fashion to a like device on a HD - I put the device on as soon as I could find it. And, of course, they are legal in all 50 states via Federal law. Bruce
allen is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 1:33 pm
Senior Member
 
AlaskaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Hillsboro, OR, USA
Posts: 3,136
Unhappy

Patrick,

Thanks for sharing this with us and we are all very sorry for not only your loss, but a loss to the whole community here. We may appear gruff, but most of us are really pretty sensitive under it all!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AlaskaFish is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 5:19 pm
Senior Member
 
munson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Burkburnett, TX, USA
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick2000
Randi,

I have avoided replying to this post for the last several days because of my closeness to this unfortunate ordeal and the fact that I did not feel comfortable discussing it on a public forum.
Patrick, please on my condolences. I pray that he will rest in peace, and that his family will find some solace among friends.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
munson is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
French Test of K1200GT eljeffe K1200/1300GT (The Next Generation) 2 Apr 8th, 2006 5:29 pm
BMW branch in Munich opens the world's largest BMW motorcycle center eljeffe Chit Chat 8 Apr 1st, 2006 12:58 pm
BMW Year end incentives anouncement MOSLEYDS Chit Chat 1 Dec 14th, 2005 6:46 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome