Something New for the Garage - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:34 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Something New for the Garage

I broke down today and stopped in at Harbor Freight for a tire changer. This next week I will install it and retro-fit it with teflon blocks and build a tire bar that won't mar the wheels. Who is going to be the first to use it? Need a tire changed yet Meese?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP05286.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	4734  

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 1:44 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
Need a tire changed yet Meese?
I'm working on it.

Congrats on the new toy. Sorry I couldn't help you pick it out the other day, but I'm sure I'll get fair use out of it. (Don't worry Art, you still have a front Avon with my name on it. )

Too bad we didn't pull your Ohlins to get them rebuilt while you wait for your replacement exhaust to arrive. Oh well.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 9 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 6:28 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Too bad we didn't pull your Ohlins to get them rebuilt while you wait for your replacement exhaust to arrive. Oh well.
It's all good! I'll have time this winter to get the rebuilds done anyway. BTW, Send me some of your mail order tire links. Time for me to get some new rubber on the way.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #4 of 9 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 7:01 am
Gold Supporter

Where can I pick up the teflon blocks for the tire changer? I hate having to put rags under the wheel to prevent the marring of the rims. I did not know they were upgradable. Thanks for any help you can furnish.

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT
post #5 of 9 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:33 pm

Tires

http://www.swmototires.com/ is where I got mine and Ken got his. He ordered on Monday and they were at my door Wednesday. I had similar delivery when I order 3 sets of stones.

I do want to see what you do for your mods to the machine and if you have material enough to create 2 sets of everything that would be very very cool. Then people have 2 places in the Portland area to go for tire changes.

Did you get a balancer?

Yes Ken, I have your Avon tucked away just waiting for you.
post #6 of 9 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 6:39 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artk50
http://www.swmototires.com/ is where I got mine and Ken got his. He ordered on Monday and they were at my door Wednesday. I had similar delivery when I order 3 sets of stones.

I do want to see what you do for your mods to the machine and if you have material enough to create 2 sets of everything that would be very very cool. Then people have 2 places in the Portland area to go for tire changes.

Did you get a balancer?

Yes Ken, I have your Avon tucked away just waiting for you.
Geeze Art, most guys only use one set of stones at a time! You had to order 3 extra sets???? Dude!!!!

I'll get the tire tool and non-maring teflon blocks machined next week while I'm on vacation. If it works well we can talk about an extra set. I made my own balancer on my lathe. Not a hard job at all. I'm getting excited about saving some $$$ on the tire changes.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #7 of 9 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 6:42 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp1bmw
Where can I pick up the teflon blocks for the tire changer? I hate having to put rags under the wheel to prevent the marring of the rims. I did not know they were upgradable. Thanks for any help you can furnish.
I'm going to machine some myself. I'll post some pictures when I have a final product. I thought I read somewhere on this site that someone made some for their machine. If I find the link I'll pass it along.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #8 of 9 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 12:04 am
IBR# 366

Garage
I'm sure glad he had extra tires on hand. Saved my butt.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 9 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 1:32 am

I ordered a set for me another for John and wanted an extra sitting here for later this summer. I'm glad that I did so that we could help keep Ken on the road. We wouldn't want his bike to sit idle long enough that he'd be compelled to wash it or anything

We have tried some rags and cut up inner tube and they really don't do the job of holding the rim in place. We always seem to end up on the floor getting the last of the tire back on. My knees really don't like that part.

Hopefully your efforts will help us both and anyone else that is in the area that needs new rubber. I do plan on keeping an extra set around and when I'm ready to use them I'll order another set. I am thinking about trying the Avon on the front. It works for Ken and he says he gets a lot of wear out of them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in