Exhaust Leak Found - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:28 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Exhaust Leak Found

Much to my dismay our LT developed an exhaust leak on the WCR trip. I was hoping that it was something easy to fix, however the muffler is cracked and the extended warranty does not cover it. Thanks to an old friend of this site a replacement has been found and we'll be back on the road soon. I guess after 4 years and over 93k I can't be too upset with the old girl for giving up her pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP05288.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	4733  

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 4:52 am

Weld her up and have a spare.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #3 of 10 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 6:25 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Weld her up and have a spare.
I'm gunna do just that I think. I'm going to talk with a friend today who has a TIG Welder. Sounds like a good time hangin' at the welding shop with a cold one in hand.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #4 of 10 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 9:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
Much to my dismay our LT developed an exhaust leak on the WCR trip. I was hoping that it was something easy to fix, however the muffler is cracked and the extended warranty does not cover it. Thanks to an old friend of this site a replacement has been found and we'll be back on the road soon. I guess after 4 years and over 93k I can't be too upset with the old girl for giving up her pipe.
Not uncommon. Several of us have welded these and kept going. I have access to a TIG welder here at work, and my re-weld was better than the stock weld.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 10 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:09 am

Question

Bummer Ernie! So what was your first indication that she was leaking? Was it making unusual noises? Or did you just spot it visually? Did it affect the performance of the Bike?

Tks in advance,
John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #6 of 10 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 11:21 am

Hey Ernie,
That's right where mine cracked all the way around. Sort of sounded like a turbo deisel on crack. Had it TIG welded and it lasted a lot of miles until I sold her.
Mine was easy to find by all the black soot all around the left passenger foot peg.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #7 of 10 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
Hey Ernie,
That's right where mine cracked all the way around. Sort of sounded like a turbo deisel on crack. Had it TIG welded and it lasted a lot of miles until I sold her.
Mine was easy to find by all the black soot all around the left passenger foot peg.
Ed Zachery how and where Dave Moore found his pipe cracked, John. Tried the muffler tape route just to git some mileage outta the thang, butt that didn't work at all. Ended up with a new one, I think.

BTW - I've got four of those exhaust systems at my storage unit. Two of 'em are cracked just like the pic above; another is one of ole Toad's that had the head flange insert loose (Hank found it when doing the clutch removal work, so he gave me one from one of the earlier Remus swapouts); and yet another (a good one) that I bought off of Denny Kintner when he wuz selling his LT and parts. I tried fitting Denny's to Toad, butt I think wherever Denny got it, it came off a wrecked bike, cuz it is tweaked just enough that it doesn't meet up with Toad's layout. (Denny wouldn't know that, as he never tried to install it on his LT).

Anyway, if someone wants some TIG practice, they're welcome to any of the four. Just pay for shipping (IIRC, it wuz ~50 bones to ship Denny's from WY to TX). None of 'em have the chrome dress/heat shield, and only Denny's has four good crush washer rings.

Pardon the slight thread hi-jack, Ernie. Good luck with your fix.
post #8 of 10 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 6:47 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Not uncommon. Several of us have welded these and kept going. I have access to a TIG welder here at work, and my re-weld was better than the stock weld.
That is good to know. I'm pulling her off tonight and seeing what needs to be done. What a bummer I only got 93k out of her, huh? I'm not surprised that she is starting to show her age, however I want to do all I can to keep her runnin' and lookin' good. Thanks for the reply.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #9 of 10 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 6:52 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Bummer Ernie! So what was your first indication that she was leaking? Was it making unusual noises? Or did you just spot it visually? Did it affect the performance of the Bike?

Tks in advance,
John
Pauline and I noticed a "tinny" rattle sound coming from under the engine. I was thinking the headers were loosening up again. Then a low growl in 1st through 3rd under torque. I began to worry a little. Then there was a tell-tale sign of exhaust soot near the passenger footpeg.

I didn't notice any appreciable difference in preformance (one way or the other).

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #10 of 10 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 6:59 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick

Anyway, if someone wants some TIG practice, they're welcome to any of the four. Just pay for shipping (IIRC, it wuz ~50 bones to ship Denny's from WY to TX). None of 'em have the chrome dress/heat shield, and only Denny's has four good crush washer rings.

Pardon the slight thread hi-jack, Ernie. Good luck with your fix.
Hi-jack away anytime Dick. Either way, with the replacement or this one repaired, I'll be able to help someone else sometime with a usable exhaust if they need one. I'm grateful for the help people on this site give,and I am always willing to do in kind. Thanks for the info. I might be looking for a couple more welding projects when I'm through.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in