Tech Help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 5:24 pm Thread Starter

Question Tech Help

Hey, guys, need a little diagnostic help. Went to start the lonely LT sitting in my garage and it fired up and then immediately shut off. Put it on the battery charger overnight, green light on so should be fully charged. Went to start again and lights et all were fine and it sounds like things are spinning but nothing resembling a cough, sputter or start. Plenty of fuel, kickstand is up (or down in neutral) . Thoughts??
I'll appreciate your collective experience.
(I figure that the LT is just jealous of my new mistress and is acting up to get attention)
Thanks,
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 5:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch_Rider
Hey, guys, need a little diagnostic help. Went to start the lonely LT sitting in my garage and it fired up and then immediately shut off. Put it on the battery charger overnight, green light on so should be fully charged. Went to start again and lights et all were fine and it sounds like things are spinning but nothing resembling a cough, sputter or start. Plenty of fuel, kickstand is up (or down in neutral) . Thoughts??
(I figure that the LT is just jealous of my new mistress and is acting up to get attention)
Thanks,
Jeff
I thought about it being in reverse mode, butt you said it fired up and then immediately shut off! Not sure it'll do that in reverse, so that suggestion is moot - sorry Jeff.
post #3 of 8 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 8:53 pm

Check on the usual
Fuses - motronic, fuel pump.
Kill Switch
Put it in gear then take it out again.
Try starting it with clutch pulled in.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else

post #4 of 8 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 9:07 pm

Quote:
Thanks,
Jeff
If you hear the starter motor spinning, but the engine is not turning over, it is likely the sprag clutch. Put the bike in gear and rock it back and forth, then try it again. May have to repeat this a couple of times to unstick the sprags in the clutch. Mine did that for a short while, then would not engage even after rocking it back and forth. Finally had to replace the sprag assembly, by far the worst project on the bike I ever tackled.

I have told people that the BMW assembly line must start with the sprag assembly, the the rest of the bike is built around it.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 8 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:34 pm Thread Starter

Question Really Strange

Thanks for all the good suggestions.

John,
I checked everything on your list and it all was OK.

David,
I had already done the rocking thing in gear as I have had my sprag clutch replaced once before.

Still Nothing...THEN on a wild hair I held the starter down and opened the throttle all the way...she sputtered for a moment and then shut off. On the third time of doing the same she caught and off she went. Shut it off a number of times and she re-started without a problem as she always has.

WHADYATHINK???
post #6 of 8 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:09 pm

Sounds like the idle circuit was having problems.... that can be caused by several things.

I had a fORD once that the IAC went north on. I disassembled as much as possible anc cleaned... worked a while... finally replaced.. lasted another 50k miles..

If you are gonna "ignore/store" in future put some "StaBil" fuel preservative.... it will burn fine and keeps fuel fresher longer..

Next time you pull the fuel tank check all the linkages and throat of the intakes for buildup.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:15 am

Quote:
Thanks for all the good suggestions.

John,
I checked everything on your list and it all was OK.

David,
I had already done the rocking thing in gear as I have had my sprag clutch replaced once before.

Still Nothing...THEN on a wild hair I held the starter down and opened the throttle all the way...she sputtered for a moment and then shut off. On the third time of doing the same she caught and off she went. Shut it off a number of times and she re-started without a problem as she always has.

WHADYATHINK???
Fuel Filter got clogged?

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #8 of 8 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 6:04 pm

Jeff,
I think that poor child left abandoned and ignored is just jerking your chain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in