Never again!!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 10:54 pm Thread Starter

Never again!!!!

That's right, After I get out of Nevada I will never ride here again. Beautiful state in its own right, But not so motorcycle friendly. First while cruisin on a remote part of hwy 93 I came around a corner and 3 HORSES were walking down the hwy. 2 in my lane and 1 in the other. knew something wasn't right so I slammed on the brakes. They just kept walking abreast down the hwy. After a bit of coaxing I passed them in the oncoming lane. Then a few dogs here and there. Now I am on the EXTRA TERRESTRIAL HWY (real name) It is lightning and thunder big time. the one place to get gas has decided to close. I could back track 50-60 miles. There is a sign stating next gas 110 miles. My computer says I have 107 left. I thought of Ken Meese and went for it. And of course huge wind. I am fighting very hard to just stay in my lane. Trust me, 2 hands on the wheel and no exceptions for water or changing music. I'm going down the ET hwy and see something ahead. Its a cow, A big cow with BIG horns standing on the right side of the road. I then notice a baby calf that was very recently killed on the left side of the road, right at the end of a long skidmark! So now I must go between the big horned one and its calf. Luckily he wasn't to upset with me. I make it thru the speed traps to Hawthorne NV. Had a nice meal and headed out towards Lake Tahoe. It is now blasting so hard I downshift to 4th to help control the bike and Its not working well enough. I am now doing 40mph in a 70 zone with my flashers on. My gps says 2.6 miles to the next cutoff and I'm hoping the direstion change or topography will make it bearable. I just can't make that lousy 2.6 miles and duck into a abandoned truck stop. I park into the wind between two pumps, leave her in first and put down the side stand, I am standing ther holding the bike down and I notice A big rock. I run over and grab the rock and put it under the center stand on the right side. Pertfect size and shape to cram in there. I sat up against the 2 foot high wall for an hour and a half. About an hour into this wait a couple of police cars flew by with lights and sirens ablazing. I knew it wasn't a good sign for some one. I figured a truck blew over. The sun started dropping below the tip of the mountains and It finally slowed to about 30mph with some gusts a little higher like 40mph. So, I removed my rock from the center stand and back tracked my way the 30 miles to Hawthorne. It is now managable. I come to all the flashing lights that wizzed by me 30 minutes earlier to find that a Harley guy got blown off the hwy. Luckily he had on full gear and helmet. He was standing near his bike while the cops held it up. He didn't look like he was ready to get back on her yet. So, Tomorrow's forcast is much better and I'm heading to CA! Did I mention the only room I could find available is a rat hole. But it does have high speed!!

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:21 pm

Cool

Damn Brian! Thank Heavens you managed to survive that "hurricane"! Just think of the old song: "It never rains in California--"!

I've got the first pint when we do meet up there buddy, you done earned it! Smart move using that rock under your right side to prop her!

See ya in 2 days!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:28 pm

Never Again

Sorry you did not enjoy your trip through our state! That is one of the thing about Nevada, it is an Open Range State you have to watch for livestock along with wild animals on the roads. (Ranchers are not required to contain their livestock). Don't know if the horses you came across were wild or not but lots of them are found through out the state.

Yea, the winds here can be a real pain and in some parts gas is along ways between stops. I am glad to hear that you did not run into any serious problems though. There is an old saying here if you don't like the weather wait five minutes and it will change.

You know, come to thing of it when I go for long trips I head for California and Oregon. This fall I hope to make to your part of the woods. I lived in Lakewood for about a year in the late seventies.

I could not handle all the rain. That is the nice thing about this country you can go any where and see the differences. Maybe this fall if I make it to your area we can get together?

Rusty Snyder

Last edited by RSnyder; Jun 13th, 2006 at 11:31 pm. Reason: Additional thoughts

post #4 of 23 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:29 pm

Smile

Brian,

I feel your pain buddy !! I hate being in a wind more than any other condition other than fog when having to ride... I have done the Nevada thing too and will never do it again If I can help it...

The Golden Sierra Foothills has some beautiful riding areas - Tahoe/Sac/Reno/State Rd 49 is my old riding area. *Just beautiful roads*.

Come back safe and with lots of pictures & stories !!!

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #5 of 23 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:48 pm Thread Starter

Hey Rusty,
I hope you know I wasn't bad mouthing your state. How could I complain with all the rain we get! I did get blasted pretty good though. I think the animals were funny and part I will remember. We are supposed to ride within our sight distance right? Its a beautiful state but today I got weathered out! Let me know when your in my neck of the woods and I'll show ya around.

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #6 of 23 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:51 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
C'mon, Brian, if they made it easy everyone would ride there. Glad you survived, and got the checkpoint. See you at WCR.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 23 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:56 pm Thread Starter

Mike,
I remember you posting a short while ago about how you enjoy the wind!!! To bad you can't make it to WCR.

John, I am looking foward to that beer let me tell you! It has been awhile since we have gotten together. I just talked to Ernie, He is in Bryce canyon. He was there last night just like me. He had no internet so we did not know we were both there! Small world. I'll be in 3 rivers on thurs, so will Ernie. See ya when you get there.

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #8 of 23 Old Jun 14th, 2006, 7:08 am

Brian: Hope you enjoy the rest of the trip. Remember long ago when you were an Airman. That's right, this old Chief is telling you now.

"Suck it up Troop! Think of it as a career broadening experience."

Blue Skies!

Big Al
post #9 of 23 Old Jun 14th, 2006, 8:08 am

Sounds like a real adventure Brian. I had already decided to bypass Nevada on my CCR return trip but your experience just confirms it. Actually I have had more than one car sand blasted down to bare metal in the SW deserts. Sounds like you did all the right things and you are safe so that is what really matters. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #10 of 23 Old Jun 14th, 2006, 9:18 am

I have been across NV several times, only hit high winds once though. Oklahoma on the other hand----------! Of the 6 times I crossed OK, 4 of them were in insane winds. Once I crossed OK on my way to my daughter's home in Memphis, some of the worst wind yet. Watching the news after I got to Memphis saw I went through about 2 hours before a swarm of tornadoes hit where I was. You will stay out of NV, I will try to stay out of OK now.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Last edited by dshealey; Jun 14th, 2006 at 10:19 am.
post #11 of 23 Old Jun 14th, 2006, 9:20 am Thread Starter

Today is a great day in NV, Blue skies and light winds. I think I'll do some riding! Al, Its funny you bring up my airmen days. Yesterday as I was dodging the tumble weeds reminded me of the years I spent in Clovis NM.

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #12 of 23 Old Jun 14th, 2006, 9:39 am

Dang Brian,

Must have been bad for you to be talking like this. You are not one to complain. I am most glad that your experience and safety-conscience attitude paid off here. A lesser man might have gotten himself in a lot of trouble. Kudos to you for making it through all that. Beer is always on tap here, and will be on me next time we meet up.

Clovis -- aw, now there's a place! Not quite as good as Minot or Altus though! Ride safe my friend!

[IMG]
Brian "Coach" Landry
2000 Champaigne K1200LTC
post #13 of 23 Old Jun 14th, 2006, 9:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
That's right, After I get out of Nevada I will never ride here again. Beautiful state in its own right, But not so motorcycle friendly. First while cruisin on a remote part of hwy 93 I came around a corner and 3 HORSES were walking down the hwy. 2 in my lane and 1 in the other. knew something wasn't right so I slammed on the brakes. They just kept walking abreast down the hwy. After a bit of coaxing I passed them in the oncoming lane. Then a few dogs here and there. Now I am on the EXTRA TERRESTRIAL HWY (real name) It is lightning and thunder big time. the one place to get gas has decided to close. I could back track 50-60 miles. There is a sign stating next gas 110 miles. My computer says I have 107 left. I thought of Ken Meese and went for it. And of course huge wind. I am fighting very hard to just stay in my lane. Trust me, 2 hands on the wheel and no exceptions for water or changing music. I'm going down the ET hwy and see something ahead. Its a cow, A big cow with BIG horns standing on the right side of the road. I then notice a baby calf that was very recently killed on the left side of the road, right at the end of a long skidmark! So now I must go between the big horned one and its calf. Luckily he wasn't to upset with me. I make it thru the speed traps to Hawthorne NV. Had a nice meal and headed out towards Lake Tahoe. It is now blasting so hard I downshift to 4th to help control the bike and Its not working well enough. I am now doing 40mph in a 70 zone with my flashers on. My gps says 2.6 miles to the next cutoff and I'm hoping the direstion change or topography will make it bearable. I just can't make that lousy 2.6 miles and duck into a abandoned truck stop. I park into the wind between two pumps, leave her in first and put down the side stand, I am standing ther holding the bike down and I notice A big rock. I run over and grab the rock and put it under the center stand on the right side. Pertfect size and shape to cram in there. I sat up against the 2 foot high wall for an hour and a half. About an hour into this wait a couple of police cars flew by with lights and sirens ablazing. I knew it wasn't a good sign for some one. I figured a truck blew over. The sun started dropping below the tip of the mountains and It finally slowed to about 30mph with some gusts a little higher like 40mph. So, I removed my rock from the center stand and back tracked my way the 30 miles to Hawthorne. It is now managable. I come to all the flashing lights that wizzed by me 30 minutes earlier to find that a Harley guy got blown off the hwy. Luckily he had on full gear and helmet. He was standing near his bike while the cops held it up. He didn't look like he was ready to get back on her yet. So, Tomorrow's forcast is much better and I'm heading to CA! Did I mention the only room I could find available is a rat hole. But it does have high speed!!
Hi Brian,

So you cross it on a good day
Actually I love Nevada and cross it often, only about 1 out of 10 crossings have bad weather. Lots of great riding out there - Of course you never travel the ET Hwy without a full tank...............
See ya on thursday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nevada.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	463.5 KB
ID:	4392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nevada Dry Lake.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	4393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nathan out of gas.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	474.2 KB
ID:	4394  

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #14 of 23 Old Jun 14th, 2006, 10:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
Hi Brian,

So you cross it on a good day
Actually I love Nevada and cross it often, only about 1 out of 10 crossings have bad weather. Lots of great riding out there - Of course you never travel the ET Hwy without a full tank...............
See ya on thursday.
Yes, I thought I did *not* need an auxiliary fuel tank...till I crossed Nevada!
post #15 of 23 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 5:31 pm Thread Starter

Every place does have its day, I guess it was just my turn in the washing machine. I must give credit to Nevada's hwy dept. Every road I was on was well kept.
Dave, I know what to mean about Oklahoma. I was visiting my brother who lived there temporary. We were out on his boat when one of those tornadoes popped up nearby seamingly out of nowhere. It was a mad dash to the shore.

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #16 of 23 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 7:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
Hey Rusty,
I hope you know I wasn't bad mouthing your state. How could I complain with all the rain we get! I did get blasted pretty good though. I think the animals were funny and part I will remember. We are supposed to ride within our sight distance right? Its a beautiful state but today I got weathered out! Let me know when your in my neck of the woods and I'll show ya around.
No offense taken. all the states have their own unique weather to get use to. Last fall when returning from a trip from Northern CA had pouring rain from Shasta City to Susanville not to mention a 45 min wait in the rain for (belive it or not) road construction then high winds all the way from Susanville to Reno. Got to love the wind

Rusty Snyder
post #17 of 23 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 10:42 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Brian, I didn't know you did a stint in Clovis. Some good friends are in Clovis now, or as they refer to it, "the armpit of New Mexico".

See y'all on Friday.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #18 of 23 Old Jun 16th, 2006, 12:57 am Thread Starter

Ken,
Sorry, But I really have nothing good to say about Clovis! You have missed a good night here in three rivers. Good food, good libations, and good B.S. Sessions. See you tomorrow when we get back from our daily ride.

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #19 of 23 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 11:34 am

Smile Memories

Brain,
Just think, when your old and gray, sitting in your recliner. The story you can tell your grand kids about crossing Nv. That's what it's all about.
I enjoy it.

Wayne
Life is short, enjoy every moment
post #20 of 23 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 11:25 pm

Horses..

Were you by chance south of Caliente on 93?? I was returning from the BMW gathering in Las Vegas a couple of years ago and was enjoying a few twisties on 93 when i came around a corner and scared the beejeebies out of a very large gray draft horse. It reared up on its hind legs and I blew past. I didnt realize the knocking noise on the tank was my knees until I stopped in Caliente for gas.

I love riding in NV. Long stretches of open road. Traveled from Boise to Las Vegas a couple of times. Boise to Reno a few more times. Never ran into high winds, but he temperatures from George Utah south were pretty extreme a time or two.

Coni, was that you in LaGrande heading east on Ali on the morning of the 21st? I was heading back to Olympia following my daughters wedding on the 20th and the other LT rider and I both waved and looked back at the other as we passed. Black LT, black riding gear.
post #21 of 23 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 3:16 am

[QUOTE=
Coni, was that you in LaGrande heading east on Ali on the morning of the 21st? I was heading back to Olympia following my daughters wedding on the 20th and the other LT rider and I both waved and looked back at the other as we passed. Black LT, black riding gear.[/QUOTE]

It sure was!!! I waved at both of you. Sure was a nice surprise. I saw a Canyon Red one out riding that day too. Bruce was that you?
It sure was a perfect day for riding.
Nice to see you Gene. We really must get the gang together real soon.
Best,
post #22 of 23 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 11:04 am

Ha..

If the Canyon Red that you saw was the one in La Grande, it was me. I was riding solo. Kathi still resides in Boise, so I was riding solo!

Rode up to Semiahmoo yesterday, had a couple of LT's pass me on my way up to Blaine!

Gene
post #23 of 23 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 11:34 am Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Gene_Chapman]Were you by chance south of Caliente on 93?? I was returning from the BMW gathering in Las Vegas a couple of years ago and was enjoying a few twisties on 93 when i came around a corner and scared the beejeebies out of a very large gray draft horse. It reared up on its hind legs and I blew past. I didnt realize the knocking noise on the tank was my knees until I stopped in Caliente for gas.

Gene,
That wasn't me, But it may have been Ernie. Green Lt 2 up.

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in