Announcing: June 3rd Tech Session for Ct or anyone in the area - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old May 19th, 2006, 10:04 pm Thread Starter

Talking Announcing: June 3rd Tech Session for Ct or anyone in the area

June 3rd starting at 9Am. I live in Colchseter, CT PM for address and directions.

I have garage space but no lift. I have basic tools probably enough to do basic maintance. I would like to have a "pro" here as well, so if you are one and want to teach please come by. If you are coming from far away I will have space for anyone needing an overnight.

Currently on the schedule is HID install and PIAA install. I need to do my rear drive oil so that is on the list as well. I will also have my 78 R100 here that needs some tlc.

This will be my 1st "tech session" so bear with me. I am a newbie.

Jim

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old May 20th, 2006, 6:39 am

im off that weekend so ill be over ,i dont need anything done to my bike so ill just observe...ill need directions to your place though
post #3 of 46 Old May 20th, 2006, 10:15 am Thread Starter

BTW, If you want to bring your SO my wife will be home and the pool is open.

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #4 of 46 Old May 20th, 2006, 8:36 pm

couple days early

If it was at least 1 day later I could stop on the way to Americaide. Maybe next time
Rock
post #5 of 46 Old May 23rd, 2006, 7:42 am

Jim -

I just PM'ed you. I'll be coming up mostly for some help getting to my air filter and maybe some other little things.

Thanks for hosting this,
Bruce.
post #6 of 46 Old May 26th, 2006, 8:11 am
was

Hey Jim, this is awesome. I'm riding up to the Cape on Sunday but will be coming back by June 2, so I'll come over. I don't need to do any work on my bike, so I won't need garage space. I am NOT a tech or even an experienced wrench, but I did a HID install this past February (and fluid change and filters), so I can stand around and dispense erroneous information about as well as anybody! I'll bring a few tools that I found handy when I worked on the bike.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #7 of 46 Old May 26th, 2006, 11:16 am

Oh, I would love to attend (having installed PIAA lights, I may have even helped!) but my "honey do" list at home just won't allow it.

My pool, unfortunately, isn't open. It's completely dug up, getting new electrical wiring, deck area, storage shed, etc. Guess what I'll be doing that weekend?? :-(
post #8 of 46 Old May 26th, 2006, 12:05 pm Thread Starter

Hey Maybe next time. We jsut bought the house a month ago so most things are in good shape. I had some trouble with the pool but my wife and were able to fix it. It is still a little chilly though. Unless you can swim in the top 3 or four inches of water. But below that it is around 55 degrees. So it may be open but not sure anyone will wnat to use it.

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #9 of 46 Old May 26th, 2006, 12:07 pm Thread Starter

Rock, maybe next time although not exactly on your way to Americade. Enjoy and ride safe.

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #10 of 46 Old May 26th, 2006, 5:45 pm

Jim:

I've been jockying around my schedule. Will know for sure later but things look promising. May see you next Saturday.

What tools should I bring? Hexkeys? Sockets? Torq sockets? Oil filter wrench?

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #11 of 46 Old May 26th, 2006, 6:51 pm Thread Starter

Chuck,

If you brought what you can fit that would be good. I have torx, sockets and a oil filter wrench. I will also have a place to store old oil. We just moved into this house from a rather small condo so my tool collection is not very vast, yet. I have everything to do oil changes however. Anything that is not common I would bring. Space permitting of course. Thanks.

Did I PM you with the address yet? If not let me know and looking forward to meeting everyone.

Jim

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #12 of 46 Old May 26th, 2006, 9:24 pm

Jim: Still have your PM from last week... Good to go! Tks.

Chuck J

post #13 of 46 Old May 27th, 2006, 7:43 am

Hey Chuck, looks like we might meet at Jims before Americade!

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #14 of 46 Old May 28th, 2006, 5:47 am

Gerard: That would be great. Things are firming up here so the 3rd looks good now. See you there.

Chuck J

post #15 of 46 Old May 29th, 2006, 7:26 pm

Thumbs up

Can somebody with a video camera record it and post it on the net or something like that so the rest of us can see it who cant attend as we may live too far away, eg, another state, or another country.
Maybe convert it to divx format so it is small and post it at somethine like www.putfile.com
or
share it on shareaza or limewire or bearshare

this would be better then setting up an ftp as it is shared with way more users at once
or even as a bit torrent file.
i would glady share it out on shareaza if it was sent to me
post #16 of 46 Old May 29th, 2006, 9:35 pm Thread Starter

IF I can get a hold of a video camera I will be more than happy to edit it and post it somewhere.

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #17 of 46 Old May 30th, 2006, 7:57 pm

Jim,

Do you have a list of work to be done? If you could share then I can bring appropriate tools, etc.

BTW, I can do electrical/electronic work if anyone needs it.

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
post #18 of 46 Old May 30th, 2006, 9:06 pm

Hey Guys,
I'm planning to do the CQ HID upgrade to both the high and the low beam along with a set of the PIAA 1100X with the easy mounts. I"m toying with the idea of also putting on a set of Hella FF50's under the mirrors and running the PIAA's and the Hella's back to a fuse block under the passenger seat with each set of aux lights relayed into the high or low beam circuit so they are controlled with the high/low switch. Only problem is the Hella's have not come in yet so it looks as though it's just going to be the High/Low upgrade and the PIAA's - no fuse block.
I'm trying to make sure I have everything we will need, soldering iron, relays, connectors, tape etc. HOWEVER I am NOT an electrical guy so any of you guys who are that are going to be there, if you would like maybe you can give me a call prior to Friday and I'll make double sure I have everything needed... I hope.
Also, I have not taken the plastic off yet, so I expect this is going to take a little extra time with the learning curve and all.

Can't wait till saturday to get to meet everyone, but you know I REALLY can't wait till DARK on saturday to try out all the new lighting!!!

Kevin

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #19 of 46 Old May 30th, 2006, 10:53 pm Thread Starter

Items on the list for June 3rd

HID install Hi and Low beam
PIAA install
Airfilter change
maybe a couple of oil changes
Rear drive fluid change.
maybe a few other things related to a 12k service.

I have torx, allen keys, variety of screw drivers, sockets, small hammers and large hammer , Oil wrench, pans for collecting old oil for recylcling purposes. I also have soldering iron and electrical tape. i do not have but will pick up various electrical connectors and wire ties.

FYI, Dezrae has asked if I could tape the tech session and then share it. I have asked my father to come by and help tape the session. I will then edit it down and convert to digital format for sharing purposes on the board. I will also be prepared to photograph all procedures.

We will play the weather by ear, the 11pm news tonight says Friday will be a washout but Saturday will be in mid 70s with plenty of sun. I will leave it up to all of you whether or not to postpone a week if we have bad weather on Saturday.

I mentioned in an earlier post that my wife was gonig to be around that day but she now has to work on Saturday so she will not be home mcuh before 3 PM. However the pool is open and approaching 70 degrees if a SO wanted to join the fun.

See you all on Saturday June 3rd. IF you need anything or have a question about directions please feel free to PM me.

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #20 of 46 Old May 31st, 2006, 7:13 am

Jim...Count me in for Sat. I have a CQ HID Low Beam kit to install. Fairly new to working on the LT, but I've had the wheels off to replace the tires. I have most of the hand tools so let me know if your short anything and I'll bring it. Will PM you for directions.

"Smitty"
'07 GT CGM
post #21 of 46 Old May 31st, 2006, 10:14 am

Dezrae

There is a set of video's avalable already that cover most maintenance functions, from Paul Sayegh (sp?). Everyone is very happy with them...do you have them?

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #22 of 46 Old May 31st, 2006, 2:19 pm

Jim, I have given about 10 tech sessions here in Northern Ca. A couple of things that have made things easier on tech day is to have a running list of what each person needs done, so all light installs are working in the same area of the garage, maintenance in another. Also it helps to get people who just want to watch help out. the more eyes on a project the better. Plus use can use them next tech session as knowledgable workers. We usually take a break for lunch and get to visit and talk about rides. If you plan on doing your own service get a lift. Who ever has the biggest job gets the lift on tech days. If you have a tech sesssion at the end of Aug. I might make it. Have fun. Rob

2001 LT/Uni
2004 GSA
post #23 of 46 Old May 31st, 2006, 4:31 pm Thread Starter

Thanks. For the info. If this one goes well I may do another. I need o get lift but just moved in so not high on the list yet. I have started a list so far.

Jim

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #24 of 46 Old Jun 1st, 2006, 4:54 am Thread Starter

Cool Rain for Saturday

As these change on a minutes notice it appears the weather may not cooperate for us. Would you all like to postpone one weekend or do you feel ok with traveling in the rain? I have no problem hosting if it is raining but do not want you guys to think you must show up. We can work on three bikes at a time in the garage without much difficulty. Post a reply with your thoughts and we can figure this out today and tomorrow.

Jim

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #25 of 46 Old Jun 1st, 2006, 6:06 am

ill be there as long as its not going to rain all day..a little shower in the morning is ok,,ill know more when i get up sat. morning
post #26 of 46 Old Jun 1st, 2006, 6:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny
ill be there as long as its not going to rain all day..a little shower in the morning is ok,,ill know more when i get up sat. morning
I pretty much feel the same.

"Smitty"
'07 GT CGM
post #27 of 46 Old Jun 1st, 2006, 6:15 pm

Taking Rain Gear & Extra cloths!!!

Jim:

I'll be driving down to Carmel, NY Fri. afternoon to stay at my folks. Let me know by Fri noon if you decide to cancel. Otherwise too late to turn around then. Leaving early Sat. Looks like I'll be a drowned rat by the time I make it there by 9AM... but I'll be there for morale support and whatever advise I can offer.

Should I bring the K1200LT 2000 BMW CD or do you have a Manual?

Leaving next Wed afternoon for Schroon Lake (Americade) so next weekend it booked.

Chuck J

post #28 of 46 Old Jun 1st, 2006, 6:56 pm Thread Starter

If you guys dont mind riding in the rain...

then come on by. i will be here all day.

Chuck, i do not have a manual so if you bring the Cd that would be great.

Ride Safe.

Jim

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #29 of 46 Old Jun 1st, 2006, 6:59 pm

Rain, Schmain. I'll be there and will hopefully be able to do the HID's and the PIAA's and then be able to help out with anything else we end up doing! Can't wait!
I'm hoping to have all the tools we'll need for the lights, if you guys think we'll need anything else, let me know and if I have it will be sure to bring it!

See ya Saturday!

post #30 of 46 Old Jun 1st, 2006, 8:59 pm

Rain? We're riders of BMWs man! We don't mind no stinkin' rain!

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
post #31 of 46 Old Jun 1st, 2006, 9:34 pm Thread Starter

Hey Maybe

I know too many Harley Riders(owners). Singin in the rain... Ehh you get the picture.

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #32 of 46 Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 7:43 am
was

Suggestion

One thing that I found really helpful when working on the bike - bring a box of sandwich bags (the kind that seal along the top) and a Sharpie. Also maybe some tags (the ones with the little loop of string on them). For each procedure (e.g., remove stingray), all the screws and other little parts go into a baggie, which is marked Stingray Screws with the Sharpie. Any notes about long screws going back into particular locations, missing parts, etc., also get written on the baggie. At each electrical connector (and there are tons of them) a tag is put on the female end and another on the male end, with identical numbers or other marks to show that they mate up (it turned out that this was not so important since most of the connectors have different shapes and could not be put back the wrong way). Made reassembly much less complicated.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #33 of 46 Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 8:14 am

FWIW, keep a bunch of those surgical (or other) use-n-throw gloves and lots of paper towels/ rags handy while dealing with the oil changes. This was a very good lesson learnt from Mark Neblett when he helped me with the 24K a few weeks back.

Prakash Krishnamurthy

2004 R1150RT Titanium Grey

post #34 of 46 Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 9:37 pm
was

Jim, I just PMed you - lost your address! (Sorry.) Can you send it to me again? Thanks.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #35 of 46 Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:51 pm Thread Starter

Already on its way.

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #36 of 46 Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 7:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzyellodog
IF I can get a hold of a video camera I will be more than happy to edit it and post it somewhere.
IF you do it in 25 meg blocks you can post it to www.putfile.com for free
divx would be the go.
post #37 of 46 Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 5:41 pm

Talking

Jim, Chuck, Smitty, Bill, Barnett, and Kevin... Thanks for a great time today. I hope the rides home to the South and West were much better than mine to the NE. It rained harder with every mile! Smitty and Chuck, I hope to see you at Americade on Thursday.

BTW, I STILL think one of you put the extra screws into the container!

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
post #38 of 46 Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 8:00 pm

Great Tech session today! Jim and Amy, thanks alot for being such a gracious hosts. Great bunch of knowledgable fun guys. I had a ball and learned plenty. Rained hard till about New Canaan, then slowly tapered off.
See you at Americade or the National.

"Smitty"
'07 GT CGM
post #39 of 46 Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 9:08 pm

HID initial review

Jim and Amy, again, THANK YOU for hosting. Today was AWESOME!
I hope everyone made it home OK and the webbing we're all starting to grow between our toes doesn't take hold and become permanent!
Jim, Bill, Smitty, Chuck, Gerard, Barnett, I really can't thank you guys enough for all of your help and knowledge, Seriously, I would have had a complete conniption about 1/2 way through today if I was doing the lights alone! (and I want to be sure to save my fury for you know who.... )
I just got back in from the garage to go and play with the lights in the dark... the low beam is very nice! The HID actually makes the PIAA 1100X's look very pale and yellow in comparison, which I did not expect since the 1100's seem to be so highly rated. The PIAA's do a nice job of filling the pattern and giving the depth and width to the beam the stock could be better at.
The high beam seems to be slightly out of alignment with the low beam, shining high and to the left somewhat, I'm going to wait until the rain lets up and then spend some time fiddling with the way the bulb is setting in the reflector to see if I can get it straightened out somewhat. It does light up my neighbors house about 150 yards away very, very brightly though!
Also, just a word of caution, I had the lights (high+low+PIAA's) on for about 5 minutes while I played around fiddling with their aim with the bike not running, and killed the battery. (Still can't really see anything either, probably shouldn't look directly at these lights now that I think about it!) This seems to be abnormal to me, so I'm going to leave it on the battery tender overnight and see if it does the same tomorrow, if so I may get the battery tested to see if it is just weak since it is original.
Guys, again, I can't thank you enough! I really appreciate everyones time and help, I really look forward to getting out riding with you all again soon, and look forward to our next tech session.

Kevin

post #40 of 46 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 7:13 am

Kevin,
I replaced my battery this year ('03) with a universal AGM type (gel) battery. Much better capacity, but I am afraid you would need 3 batteries to run those lights for any length of time w/o the alternator! (If you need a quick fix, I still have my old battery and it is yours for free.)

The PIAAs alone are 110w total power so divide by 12 volts and you got just over 9 amps being drawn, add in the HIDs and the rest of the nomal bike electical load and you are probally at about 20 amps total draw. Factor in a 3 year old battery (or is it 2? ) and the fact that the starter is the single highest current device on the bike and you got the dead battery blues!!!!

Next tech session, I'm sure we could fit in a car battery and a 110v power invertor so we could mount Jim's garage lights on your bike....

Peace

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
post #41 of 46 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 2:56 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWphreak
Kevin,
Next tech session, I'm sure we could fit in a car battery and a 110v power invertor so we could mount Jim's garage lights on your bike....

Peace

Girard, I always did like the way you think!!!

Jay Slomka
Johnson City, TN

Y2K LT Champagne Class Act

BMWMOA, AMA, IBA
post #42 of 46 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 6:50 pm

Quote:

Peace
LMAO!
Good one, it's funny you mention that though as I was just thinking, those PIAA's are kinda wimpy next to the HID's as a matter of fact.....
Micro DE Xenons coming up?

Took the bike out for a hour and a half to check the battery charge and all that. Made sure to stop and have dinner and then do a bunch of stop and go and some more restarts. Seems to be working fine for now. I'll check in with Cycle Gear in Vernon tomorrow to see if they might have one of the Panasonics hanging around I could pick up before the trip.. .
Also, the gas smell is gone, and no faults from the ABS.
THANK YOU again Girard for all of your help. Still don't know where the heck all those "extra" bolts go though!

post #43 of 46 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 7:53 pm

That'll be $800!

BTW I have modified the shirt I got when you-know-who's shop opened up in SW CT. I have added the word SUCKS under the logo....

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
post #44 of 46 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 8:15 pm

Quote:
That'll be $800!

BTW I have modified the shirt I got when you-know-who's shop opened up in SW CT. I have added the word SUCKS under the logo....

YOU ARE DA'MAN!!!!!!!!!

Jay Slomka
Johnson City, TN

Y2K LT Champagne Class Act

BMWMOA, AMA, IBA
post #45 of 46 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 8:16 pm

No gas smell? No ABS light? Someone's Catchin' hell on Tuesday!

"Smitty"
'07 GT CGM
post #46 of 46 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 10:23 pm

yeah, someone whose name starts with "C" and ends with "liffs"
Gerard, wait, you mean pay someone for work they've actually done? What a concept!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in