AUX Lighting? NJ riders - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Apr 21st, 2006, 3:54 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
AUX Lighting? NJ riders

My 2000 K1200LT failed NJ inspection for the first time today. The reason
unapproved aux lighting! I have Piaa and motolights on the bike since 2002 with out any issues. Has anybody had this problem?

Bill Van den Noort
2000 k1200lt.net

Bill Van den Noort
2000 K1200lt
2017 R1200rt
Bmw Moa#96083
Bmw Ra #31818

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Apr 21st, 2006, 4:05 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

How do you have them hooked up? I have not heard of this before. You should have driving lights hooked to high beam and fog lights to low beam (Motolight). Maybe they are using car/truck regulations for Motorctycles. That is when high beam is on, the fog lights (in this case Motolights) should be off.

Did they give you an explanation or cite a vehicle code section?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 21st, 2006, 4:22 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Piaa and Motolights are switched using phoenix switches.
Aux lights were not on during the inspection.

Explanation from the inspector was "lens did not have DOT imprinted on them."
Explanation from the supervisor was " the lights were not DOT approved."

Sounds like the inspectors did no understand some new rule.

Thank
Bill Van den Noort
2000 k1200lt

Bill Van den Noort
2000 K1200lt
2017 R1200rt
Bmw Moa#96083
Bmw Ra #31818

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 21st, 2006, 6:37 pm

Your mistake was in going to a state inspection center in the first place. For $2.50 your dealer will inspect the bike. None of my cars or bikes have passed state inspection in the last five years. The people are rude and incompetent. A woman at the Westfield station looked at my credentials and walked away without saying a word. After 45 minutes I went looking for her. She was really pissed off that I looked for her and then said she had to check if I needed a face shield with a windshield (you don't). Of course I found her looking for that info in the coffee lounge. Her manager (who was having coffee with her) said I had no right to barge in on them. Needless to say, they failed me. On my Mercedes they said I had no rear brakes. I took the car to my mechanic and he said they were fine. They still failed me. Can't be fixed and can't pass inspection! What to do? Of course this is NJ...so... I paid a guy $75 to pass me. Problem solved. The whole thing is politically motivated to provide jobs, not safety. Just pay your dealer and be happy. I do.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #5 of 7 Old Apr 21st, 2006, 10:24 pm

Bribary is alive and well.

This does not surprise me at all. I worked with NJ as a vendor for the DMV. The company I work for makes and supports the computer equipment they use to make their DLs. I know that all of their DMV office managers are political appointments. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #6 of 7 Old Apr 25th, 2006, 12:16 pm

Garage
Wink

There was a story about this in a recent issue of Backroads. What the writer actually did to pass the exam was disconnected the lights and then they passed him. When he got home the next day, he reinserted the bulbs and wrote the article.

In the article, he wrote about how surreal the whole experience was. He rode his bike in for the inspection in full riding gear and failed but a Harley owner in tank top and shorts passed even with his straight pipes.

Yet another reason not to live in NJ!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #7 of 7 Old Apr 29th, 2006, 12:22 am

Born and raised in NJ "the safety state". I hated the state inspection center in Morristown. This was before independent auto shops and dealerships were allowed to handle state inspections. I agree, going to a state inspection center is a waste of time. I think they had some quota for failing a certain amount of vehicles. If your emmissions passed, they would really start nit picking your vehicle apart to find something. If you challenge them and you may never get it passed at that location. Sorry to hear they are still such a PITA up there. I could not wait to get out of NJ and I will never live there again.

If I remember correctly, for lights, legally they only check function and aim of the primary lights and could care less about fog lights, off road lights, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in