Americaide Group Camping! BMWs - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:22 am Thread Starter

Exclamation Americaide Group Camping! BMWs

Hey guys,

I have reserved the group camp at Moreau Lake State Park, www.NYSParks.com/parks/info.asp?parkID=119 from June 5 to June 10, 2006 for $95.00 a night. They say a max of 35 people, but I think we can squeeze in a little more. Just trying it for this year to see how many want this kind of a deal. ($10.00 a night until we get more than 10 people) I dont' want to make money, just break even. There is a shelter with electricity, water, flush toilets, but the showers are in another area of the campground. Sat night the 10th was already taken by the girl scouts. I will reserve another site ($13.00) for sat night in case some want to stay. If you are interested, e-mail me to make reservations and so we can get a read of how many are interested. [email protected] Daytona, Sturges, and Laconia have a BMW group camp, so I thought it was time for Americaide. www.tourexpo.com The park is about 15 miles south of Lake George at exit 17 of the Interstate 87 (Northway). I will try to attach a few pics of the site, but if it doesn't work, e-mail me & I can send them direct.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo   1.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	522.9 KB
ID:	3092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo   4.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	3093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo   7.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	433.3 KB
ID:	3094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo  10.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	3095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo  11.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	433.9 KB
ID:	3096  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Apr 25th, 2006, 7:31 pm

BMW Group Meeting Place??

Hay Jim:

I'll be heading up to Eagle Point on Thursday; heading home on Sunday. Is there a plan to meet the group somewhere?? Sometime?? Lunch; Dinner; Ride?? Any interest in setting up a group meet somewhere?

Only saw your post today. Returned from Pensacola Sat morning.

Cold and rainy this week... sheesh; wish I was back in Fl.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #3 of 18 Old Apr 25th, 2006, 9:55 pm

How are the crowds?

I will come check it out, are things lighter in the week like at other events?
Rock

post #4 of 18 Old Apr 26th, 2006, 6:08 pm

Hi Rock:

Usually during the week is pretty managable at tour expo. The crowds are pretty heavy starting Friday and Saturday. Sunday most folks start heading home and the vendors shut down.

Our group usually attends tour expo only on Friday and simply rides the roads without the planned events of Americade (did those for years in bye-gone days) so our time is more flexible and much less expensive.

Hope this helps.

Chuck J

post #5 of 18 Old Apr 28th, 2006, 8:00 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksailor
Hay Jim:

I'll be heading up to Eagle Point on Thursday; heading home on Sunday. Is there a plan to meet the group somewhere?? Sometime?? Lunch; Dinner; Ride?? Any interest in setting up a group meet somewhere?

Only saw your post today. Returned from Pensacola Sat morning.

Cold and rainy this week... sheesh; wish I was back in Fl.

Chuck,

You should have swung by STC last weekend in the Smokies @ www.Ironhorsenc.com on your way home. Check the SE forum.

No R T E set by me. Maybe someone else will set a time and place to eat. I just eat to live. I just figured it was time to have a BMW campground like other big rallies.
post #6 of 18 Old Apr 28th, 2006, 6:17 pm

Jim: Would have loved to swing by STC but couldn't make it. Have been keeping tabs on the SE forum as well.

Maybe we can set a time to drop by Moreau for a group meet when you folks will be around.

Keep me informed.

Chuck J

post #7 of 18 Old Apr 28th, 2006, 7:56 pm

Well I'll be up to Americade, but going with my Father, Brother and the wives, so don't think I'll be linking up with anyone. I'll keep my eyes open for others, but assume it's a big event so don't expect to run into many. We'll be heading up Thursday for Friday Saturday at the event and ride back on Sunday. My first event like this so am looking forward to the experience. Wife is kinda sceptical so it should prove interesting.

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
post #8 of 18 Old Apr 29th, 2006, 5:15 am

Randy: As long as grandma has the kids, take her out for some good food and let her spend the piggy-bank on the latest motorcycle fashion. There are also some great 'outlet' stores just south on RT9.

We may leave Wed afternoon after work.

Hope to see you there. Is Don going up?? What say you 'Carsalesman'?

Chuck J

post #9 of 18 Old Apr 29th, 2006, 7:16 pm Thread Starter

Sceptical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfran
Well I'll be up to Americade, but going with my Father, Brother and the wives, so don't think I'll be linking up with anyone. I'll keep my eyes open for others, but assume it's a big event so don't expect to run into many. We'll be heading up Thursday for Friday Saturday at the event and ride back on Sunday. My first event like this so am looking forward to the experience. Wife is kinda sceptical so it should prove interesting.
Chuck,

What is she sceptical about? Don't miss the parade Sat AM. We entered the best dressed couple a couple of times. A Honda couple won the first time as they had their white shirts& pants like a square dance get up. We had matching full face helmets, gloves, BMW jacket & pants, boots all matching. Last time there wasn't any competition so they gave us a gift certificate for a skull liner.
post #10 of 18 Old Apr 30th, 2006, 5:47 am

UUHHHH... Probably have to ask Randy about that one.. Memory is a little foggy. Randy, Don and I road around Cayuga lake last fall and talked about Americade. But I forget the details. Think this is his & Mrs first outing.

On the flip side... Amercade for me is the tour expo and riding our beloved Adirondacks and over into Ma/Vt/Nh. We intentionally miss the parade, stay away from the traffic jam and enjoy the riding up north. That's why we stay at Schroon Lake. Good luck in the judging. (You know, if you rode a HONDA GW you would have received a gift certificate for a new trunk bag or something rather than a skull liner) are they trying to tell you something?

Any idea where you'll be on Thursday? We may take off to Lake Placid on RT 73 up through Keene (one of our favorite roads) you're welcome to join us. (or anyone else lurking for that matter).

Chuck J

Last edited by ksailor; Apr 30th, 2006 at 5:55 am.
post #11 of 18 Old Apr 30th, 2006, 8:07 am

I'll be statying with friends over in Speculator, but if you guys plan an eat and greet or just a ride, I would be interested in meeting all of you. I will most likely be around all week.

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #12 of 18 Old Apr 30th, 2006, 8:18 am

Yeah first time out........

This will be our first journey to any sort of rally. The wife still hasn't even been on the bike yet so I need to remedy that shortly. My father who has been riding 20K+ miles a year for 10 years or more now goes pretty much every year. He's riding a Wing and his SO will be with him. My brother who like me picked up a bike again last year for the first time in several years (10+) will be joining us with my sister-in-law. It will also be their first journey to an event like this.

The woman are a little concerned that they will not enjoy themselves....of course I think it's just because they prepping us for an excuse to go shopping!

So since it's my first trip, I figure I will just follow Pops and let him be the tour guide and not try and meet up specifically with anyone. Of course I will be keeping an eye our for other LT's.

We may end up dropping the women off at an outlet as you mention Chuck, just have to wait and see.

I recieved my HID kit this week, so probably going to tear tupperware off next weekend and install them. Also have appointment following week at Two Jacks for 24K service, so I am planning on trailering it down with Tupperware removed. They said they could get service done in a day and install new tires. Cha-ching.....

BMWMOA # 131660
post #13 of 18 Old Apr 30th, 2006, 11:43 am Thread Starter

Two Jacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfran
This will be our first journey to any sort of rally. The wife still hasn't even been on the bike yet so I need to remedy that shortly. My father who has been riding 20K+ miles a year for 10 years or more now goes pretty much every year. He's riding a Wing and his SO will be with him. My brother who like me picked up a bike again last year for the first time in several years (10+) will be joining us with my sister-in-law. It will also be their first journey to an event like this.

The woman are a little concerned that they will not enjoy themselves....of course I think it's just because they prepping us for an excuse to go shopping!

So since it's my first trip, I figure I will just follow Pops and let him be the tour guide and not try and meet up specifically with anyone. Of course I will be keeping an eye our for other LT's.

We may end up dropping the women off at an outlet as you mention Chuck, just have to wait and see.

I recieved my HID kit this week, so probably going to tear tupperware off next weekend and install them. Also have appointment following week at Two Jacks for 24K service, so I am planning on trailering it down with Tupperware removed. They said they could get service done in a day and install new tires. Cha-ching.....

Randy,

Just make sure you have some rain gear for your SO. As long it is not pouring, a rain suite makes it possible to continue on with some comfort vs no protection from the rain. Always get a day or two of rain that time of year. You have the bike to at least have her ride in comfort. A gerbing jacket liner would be nice too! We have the full set from gloves to socks. Sure makes riding more comfortable. Did forty years without them.

I had my 12,000 check-up done at Two Jacks, dropping off the bike on the way back from Daytona. The computer milage thing didn't work and it still does not work. The Temp is O K. Not too happy with them not fixing it. Also the prior owner had a bunch of extra wires wire tied together on top of the dash, under the shelf. They didn't tie them back together, with a cut wire tie dropping down in the gas tank area. I hope they did the other stuff right as the little detail misses, doesn't give one confidence of their work.
post #14 of 18 Old Apr 30th, 2006, 6:13 pm

Quote:
posted by BMWphreak I'll be statying with friends over in Speculator, but if you guys plan an eat and greet or just a ride, I would be interested in meeting all of you.
Gerrod: We will be up at Schroon Lake (Eagle Point Campground) just north of Minersville. Thursday plan is to ride to Lake Placid. Your welcome to join us. 2 Hondas; 2 Harleys and a lone Beemer (mine) looking for support. he he.

Interested... send me a PM and I'll send you my cell #.

Chuck J

post #15 of 18 Old Apr 30th, 2006, 6:24 pm

Two Jacks and the Heads Up

Jim,

Thanks for the heads up on rain riding, but if we are forcasting rain, I think the boys will be going alone since we are only going Thursday to Sunday. I will have the wife take her golf rain pants though as our jackets are waterproof (I think).

As for Two Jacks, I haven't had anything done there before, but I stopped by the other day and had a nice chat with them. Someones Blue LT was being serviced (it was last Monday). Anyhow the dealer in Fairport wanted the bike overnight so I was happy to hear it could be done same day. I don't want to take multiple trips as either dealer is at least 1 1/2 hours away.

BMWMOA # 131660
post #16 of 18 Old May 30th, 2006, 10:08 am Thread Starter

Camping space available

Hey Guys,

It looks like there will be plenty of room at the group site, so if you know of any BMWs that need a site, send them to Moreau Lake State Park group campsite.

One week & I'll be on my way.
post #17 of 18 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 2:06 pm

Had good time

Well I had a great time, well I did miss that turn and end up in Plattsburgh NY. Not lost just and alternate route.
Least now I know where the ferry is at to go to Essex VT.
Then rode the 1st 10 hours home in the rain, not bad, just rain.
Rock
post #18 of 18 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 9:37 pm Thread Starter

Rain, Rain

Rock,

It rained all afternoon & evening Wed, but then it only rained at night the rest of the week. Nice you could make it up. Shag moved in under the shelter Wed. night. We had about 60 Red Knights in the parade Sat. No rain, but it was cool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in