Best upgrades for LD riding? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 8:34 am Thread Starter

Best upgrades for LD riding?

Opinions wanted
What are the best upgrade/ add ons for long distance riders in our region?

Rock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 8:44 am

Rock: Greetings! My two cents worth:
- Hydration system or method - Camelback recommended
- Emergency Communications plan and system/s
- Appropriate riding/safety gear
- Tool kit with needed goodies

Enjoy the ride Brother!
post #3 of 25 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 9:02 am

Driver's peg lowering kit, backrest, Kontour seat.

post #4 of 25 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 9:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Opinions wanted

Rock
Number one upgrade is HID low beam! Then some good driving lights to complement high beam (slave them to high beam so they go on and off with them when beihg used)

The LT's lighting is only good to about 40-50 MPH, if that, then you are over-riding the beam and cannot see anything on the road in time to react.

As someone else mentioned, a Camelbak or other water source you can use easily while riding. I wore a 70 oz. Camelbak on all my long rides.

Get a good tire repair kit, and practice on an old tire so you know how to use it. I suggest the Progressive Suspension kit, holds better than Stop and Go (which I also have), and takes up much less space.
http://www.progressivesuspension.com...cessories.aspx

I had the TRCL-2 kit, and purchased a better CO2 cartridge holder, with trigger, also had a good (Thomas) air compressor installed on the bike.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 25 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 10:26 am

Back-Up backrest & a good GPS unit so that you can tell where you've been.
post #6 of 25 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 12:05 pm

Garage
Satellite Radio and/or Ipod setup that works! This way, you can enjoy being lost!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #7 of 25 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 5:12 pm

Smile

Rock, I am in the final stages of preparing for an LD ride in Texas next month. Details can be found at:www.mctourer.com once there go and visit the "Ride Around Texas". For me, there are three major areas of preparation: A) the body and soul. B) the bike itself C) trip planning.

A) Body and Soul: I work out three nights a week at our local YMCA in order to physically condition myself for this upcoming ride (~3200 miles in < 70 hours). I've been exercising since last Thanksgiving every week. You must be able to recognize and react to sleep deprivation, hunger, thirst and loss of mental concentration; otherwise an accident may well happen. Learn to function well outside of your normal comfort zone.

B) You indicated that you're a former United States Marine. Prepare your bike and know its capabilities in the same manner that you kept your weapon while in the Corps. Some examples: fresh fluids (all), brand new tires (I install www.ride-on.com in mine), air compressor and tire repair kit, heated vest-even in the summer time (your route may take you over high mountain passes at night-way cool), Medical emergency tag; wear it just like you did your dog tags, flash light of your choice, custom seat of your choice, first aid kit, extensive tool kit with a volt-ohm meter, electrical and duct tape, MSR fuel containers (33oz) can be purchased at Dick's Sporting Goods or similar, in case you run out of fuel in the middle of nowhere. I could go on but won't due to 'bandwidth'.

C) Know your route and ride it accordingly. For example, know ahead of time your gas locations and hours of operation. Know the traffic flow(s) of major metropolitan areas and *most* importantly the time of day/night when traffic congestion is at its best/worst. When riding in extremely remote areas-ride conservatively 'cause the likelyhood of medical facilities (if needed) close by is slim to none.

Oh yeah, have mucho fun every mile of the trip!!

Bruce Harris, Jr.
Burlington, NC USA
1995 Harley-Davidson FLHTCUI Anniversary Edition
2005 Bushtec Turbo +2
post #8 of 25 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 7:07 pm

In my opinion,
1) custom seat (rick mayer is my choise)
2) HID lights
3) PIAA aux. ligts
4) Lowering pegs (I'm tall. This would not be an issue if you are not)
5) Sound system.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #9 of 25 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 7:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

after-market windshield -- your choice.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #10 of 25 Old May 1st, 2006, 2:36 pm

A credit card and a copy of the BMW Anonymous book, just in case.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #11 of 25 Old May 1st, 2006, 3:10 pm

Quote:
Opinions wanted

Rock
The Iron Butt Association maintains a forum here:
http://www.ironbutt.org/
Once you enter the forum, scroll down to the discussion titled,
"How to set up your motorcycle for long distance rides", while not K1200LT specific or any other BMW for that matter, it will give you considerable information that been put to the LD test.
You may also want to scroll further down to the discussion titled:
"Rider tips for a safe long distance ride."
Enjoy,

Mike
IBA #433
post #12 of 25 Old May 1st, 2006, 3:47 pm

Exclamation What?!

I read through this thread thus far, and can't believe that almost everyone missed the most important upgrades...IMHO.

GEAR! Clothes! Undergarments! Call it what you will...

If you're not comfortable to your core...all the add-ons, accessories, music, lights, seats, backrests, highway pegs, intercoms, FRS/GMRS radios, tools, and gadgets won't mean a DANG THING!

It's taken me two years, but now I finally have all the right gear. From 10° to 110°, I am comfy cozy. And all without having to tow a trailer to carry it. My trip down to Spring Training Camp for Riders last week on my Ninja really tested my gear. I left Cleveland, Oh and it was 37°. My Gerbings jacket liner, gloves liners, pants liner, and socks really did the trick keeping me warm. Oh...and don't forget the dual-control Heat-Troller.

Other than my Gerbings gear, I have two sets of under-garments. One for cold weather, and a few for hot weather. Schampa Skinny's work perfectly when it gets cold, with or without the Gerbings...depending on just how cold. UnderArmor undergarments are awesome for keeping you cool when the mercury rises.

I also have basically two BMW outfits that I wear. One for the cold and/or rainy climates (BMW's Light 'n Easy), and the other for when it gets above 70° (BMW's Commuter II).

Oh...and make sure you can wear your helmet ALLLLL day. There's nothing worse than a helmet that starts bothering you by noon, and you want/have to keep riding until 7PM.

Once you have the proper gear, you can add all the other stuff. Like I already did on both of my bikes!
post #13 of 25 Old May 1st, 2006, 7:29 pm

"In our region..."

interesting formulation to the question; a region specific recommendation? Best "upgrade" for the northeast?
A complete set of Gerbings.
Gloves, jacket liner, pants liner, socks.
post #14 of 25 Old May 2nd, 2006, 6:26 am

Talking

Quote:
Opinions wanted

Rock
Stadium Pal www.BioRelief.com

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #15 of 25 Old May 2nd, 2006, 8:22 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Interesting question, as I'm just about to head out on a 1K mile day myself.

It looks like they've pretty much answered your questions. I'd also say anything that adds safety or comfort is well worth the cost. My #1 is better lighting, HID low beam to start and some sort of aux lights as well. Good gear counts, including heated undergarments, as you want to be warm & dry no matter the weather. And good under clothes help, along with a seat that works for you. A GPS and music/talk/comedy also helps whittle the miles away. A good GPS also takes some of the guess work out of the ride.

Bruce covered the physical aspect already. But there is also a mental component. Like he said, know your route, and know your limitations. And as with life, your own attitude has a huge impact on how things go. Problems will happen, whether it's a traffic jam, wrong turn, intense weather, bike problems, or just finding your body's limits. How you deal with those problems will often determine the success of a particular ride, whether that's measured in miles, points, or just having a good day on the bike.

And don't expect to do it all on the first ride. Work your way up with longer days, and longer multi-day rides. Like running a marathon, you gotta train your body and mind, and you gotta be able to trust your equipment.

And don't forget to have fun, because that counts as well.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #16 of 25 Old May 2nd, 2006, 4:01 pm

Exclamation

A cell phone with a nation wide plan,backup batteries.
post #17 of 25 Old May 2nd, 2006, 4:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfodaskik1200
A cell phone with a nation wide plan,backup batteries.
I can take you to 5 different locations in the United States right now that your phone won't have a signal within 50 miles. Better remember a pre-paid calling card...and some good walking boots.
post #18 of 25 Old May 2nd, 2006, 7:30 pm

Prepaid calling card

While my LD riding to date has been generally confined to Interstates and other major roads where cell phone coverage never has been a problem, my next ride might change that.
Whats your prepaid calling card preference?
I did a Goggle search and got a zillon of card providers I had never heard of. I am leary of trying an off brand unless someone can recommend one.
Thanks

Mike
IBA #433
post #19 of 25 Old May 10th, 2006, 8:39 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input

I boiled it all down to lights, hands, seats and feets.
Only 3 parts of your body are in contact with the bike. Your hands, feet and butt.
So I got a back up back rest, beaded seat cushion, Mick-O-Pegs, left&right wrist rests. (I have run the wrist rest on my Panhead, we are talking night and day difference. Now I don't expect that drastic a change on the LT, but it is a much more refined sled)
Also nice to see where you are going so I bought the good light bar From Raffy, and the PIAA powersports 510's.
I got the lights at a close out steal, so if they don't do enough, I'll put them on my truck and spend the $800. for the big HID spots
Still in the sight department I bought a laminar lip, supposed to have rain the next 4 days, we will see how it works.
I had bought a AirHawk seat cushion, what a piece of crap. 24 miles it was on the bike, I could feel in my vertebrae something was not right about riding this bouncing moving ball. Then dealing with the company (NOT THE VENDOR, they were very helpful) was a major pain in the butt. They gave me the run around several times, for 3 weeks. Then I get a call from them (Just as I'm on the other line with the bank setting up a charge back, not what I wanted to do because the Vendor was very nice) asking was I the person from the Cyclesource Magazine. "Yeah, thats me" Oh were gonna give you a full refund including your shipping costs, blah, blah, blah. So in otherwords if I was not in a position to bad mouth their product to a large number of people, they could care less about me or the crappy product they sold. More like Air Turkey.
Rock
post #20 of 25 Old May 10th, 2006, 11:11 pm

Wire Ties...

.... don't forget those... they can come in handy (and if they don't, they don't take up much space).

I hit a wild turkey last weekend, and there were wires dangling all over my front end... nothing structural, still rode another 8 hours but... I did have all those loose headlight etc. wires tied up
post #21 of 25 Old May 11th, 2006, 5:00 am Thread Starter

I save the turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaklt
.... don't forget those... they can come in handy (and if they don't, they don't take up much space).

I hit a wild turkey last weekend, and there were wires dangling all over my front end... nothing structural, still rode another 8 hours but... I did have all those loose headlight etc. wires tied up
I try to not hit the Wild Turkey till I get back to the garage, then I don't even attemp to work on the bike.
Just kidding, your okay, thats all that matters. Turkeys are big birds.
Rock
post #22 of 25 Old May 11th, 2006, 6:03 am
IBR# 366

Garage
I understand the Airhawk is supposed to be mostly deflated in use. Fill it up, then sit on it and let air out until you just touch the seat through it. That way, the seat supports your weight, but the Airhawk spreads it out over a larger area without feeling like you're sitting on a balloon.

I've never needed one, as I find a seat custom made for me is much better.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #23 of 25 Old May 11th, 2006, 12:25 pm Thread Starter

Did all that

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I understand the Airhawk is supposed to be mostly deflated in use. Fill it up, then sit on it and let air out until you just touch the seat through it. That way, the seat supports your weight, but the Airhawk spreads it out over a larger area without feeling like you're sitting on a balloon.

I've never needed one, as I find a seat custom made for me is much better.
I stopped an adjusted it several times during the period I had it on the bike.
As little air as you can get by with, while not bottoming out.
I never needed one at 350lbs, at 250 little differant. Plus I mashed the seat with me big fat arse before I lost weight.
Was just really looking for a little more comfort in the 800+ mile range. Often I'll push to 1320, (My buddies place in Kendall, SW Miami)
Rock
post #24 of 25 Old May 11th, 2006, 8:42 pm

Quote:
Opinions wanted

Rock
Although this wouldn't qualify as an add on,
the best upgrade I did for long distance riding was:
getting my hemroids removed.
or is that more information than you were looking for?

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #25 of 25 Old May 18th, 2006, 8:33 pm

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in