Central NY riding suggestions? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 15th, 2012, 6:00 pm Thread Starter

Central NY riding suggestions?

I'm looking for suggestions for good rides in upstate central NY, like east of Ithaca and south of the Adirondacks, i.e. day rides with twisty roads, nice back roads, scenery, good places to eat. Thanks for any ideas.

07 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 16th, 2012, 3:32 pm

Re: Central NY riding suggestions?

The area you're in isn't going to have too much in the way of hair raising twisties; it's mostly pastoral. However, anything around the Finger Lakes is worth a tour. Again, not much for twisties, but very scenic with beaucoup state parks and water falls. A hike down Watkins Glen is a great thing to do on a hot day. It's almost all shade and the mists rising from the falls can't be beat.

Lots of choices in Ithaca due to Cornell and Ithaca College. If vegan fare is your preference, you can't beat the Moosewood. The Village Tavern in Hammondsport (south end of Keuka Lake) is excellent. Meanwhile, there are enough wineries and micro brweries to satisfy anyone's tastes and thirsts. Seneca Lake now has a distillery making a passable gin.

Take a spin up Harris Hill near Elmira and take a ride in a sailplane, powerless flight at its best.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 16th, 2012, 4:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus
The area you're in isn't going to have too much in the way of hair raising twisties; it's mostly pastoral. However, anything around the Finger Lakes is worth a tour. Again, not much for twisties, but very scenic with beaucoup state parks and water falls. A hike down Watkins Glen is a great thing to do on a hot day. It's almost all shade and the mists rising from the falls can't be beat.

Lots of choices in Ithaca due to Cornell and Ithaca College. If vegan fare is your preference, you can't beat the Moosewood. The Village Tavern in Hammondsport (south end of Keuka Lake) is excellent. Meanwhile, there are enough wineries and micro brweries to satisfy anyone's tastes and thirsts. Seneca Lake now has a distillery making a passable gin.

Take a spin up Harris Hill near Elmira and take a ride in a sailplane, powerless flight at its best.

Hope this helps.
If you do venture to Hammondsport drop into the Curtis Museum for a real treat into aviation history and some antique moto's as well!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 16th, 2012, 6:23 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys, great ideas!

07 R1200RT
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 16th, 2012, 8:58 pm

Shoot, I forgot about the Curtis Museum. May as well put in a pitch for Mark Twain's study, "The Octagon" on the campus of Elmira College.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #6 of 8 Old Aug 17th, 2012, 8:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus
Shoot, I forgot about the Curtis Museum. May as well put in a pitch for Mark Twain's study, "The Octagon" on the campus of Elmira College.
I also have a recommendation on a good (read reasonable price & great breakfasts) B&B in Watkins Glen walking distance from the lake.

10% off when booking through this site (including 1871 Benjamin Hunt below)

http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/watki...-new-york.html

1871 Benjamin Hunt B&B in Watkins Glen

http://www.benhunt.com/index.php

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #7 of 8 Old Aug 19th, 2012, 5:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesmith
I'm looking for suggestions for good rides in upstate central NY, like east of Ithaca and south of the Adirondacks, i.e. day rides with twisty roads, nice back roads, scenery, good places to eat. Thanks for any ideas.
Just head east!

There is a wonderful riding area in the Catskills and north of them: basically the whole area constrained by Route 17 (future I-86) and Route I-88, all the way up to the Thruway.
Best riding is in the western section, much less crowded and less restrictive speed limits (and patrolling... )

It is about 2 hours riding time north of where I live; anytime I have a day's time available for riding, I go up there. Any road you reach is fun.
My personal favorites are Beaverkill Road in Sullivan County, County Route 47 (Oliverea - Frost Valley), Route 42 (Peekamoose), side-roads off Routes 23, 23A, 23C and the area east of Delhi.

Last several times, I stayed at Lanza's Inn in Livingston Manor. Nice country inn with a pub and with a restaurant. Meaning: no long-distance walking to have drink and dinner once you check in and get out of your gear.

There are also some other nice places in the area. As a shameless plug, here is a thread I started on ADVrider, trying to collect great motorcycling places to stay.

Enjoy!

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #8 of 8 Old Aug 20th, 2012, 8:16 pm

+1 on Catskills!

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in