Tucson to Akron to Gorham (Portland) Maine ride - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 5:57 pm Thread Starter

Tucson to Akron to Gorham (Portland) Maine ride

I'm planning a ride, for the beginning of August, from Tucson to Portland Maine area.

Bing and Google suggest different routes from each other. However, both of them are identical from Tucson to Akron Ohio.

Since here to Akron is common to both routes, are there any construction sites that I should avoid?

Google suggests a route from Akron to Maine via route 90 along lake Erie and then across NY via route 86 to Albany NY then to route 90 across MA and then up to Maine; 2,800 miles around 46 hours

Bing suggests from Akron to route 75 to route 80 across PA to route 84 into Hartford CT and then up to ME; 2,700 miles, around 40 hours.

Does the extra 6 hours for the 100 mile longer route via NY make sense? Bing estimates 30 hours to Akron Ohio with Google estimating 33 hours.

From Akron to Gorham Maine, Google estimates the best route is identical to Bing's, across PA??!! @ 13 hours while Bing estimates 11 hours.

Any thoughts about the route across PA into Danbury CT and then up to Maine? I know that I need to be past Lowell MA by around 4PM in order not to get stuck in bumper to bumper.

Any thoughts on the route via Lake Erie, acrosws NY to Albany Ny and then across MA? I know on that route I need to be past Lowell MA by 4PM.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 6:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Tucson to Akron to Gorham (Portland) Maine ride

Bob,

Mass pike ( Rt90e ) to Rt 290w to Rt 495n. Just do not hit 495n on a friday later than noon and any other day make it 3:00. Course you know that but in Summer 495 on a friday after noon is no fun.

Have thought about going up Rt91 and taking Rt2 across to Gorham?

Wave on your way by..

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

Last edited by johnbaker15; Jul 6th, 2012 at 6:18 pm.
post #3 of 13 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 12:10 am Thread Starter

Hi John

Thanks for the remonder about about Friday afternoons.

Last year I rode from Gorham to Western MA and back a couple of times. One time from Gorham to West Point Ny and back. One the way down, on a Friday, we hit bumper to bumper on 495 all the way past Danbury.

Best
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

post #4 of 13 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 8:55 pm

If you do the majority of east miles on I-90 you will bypass most cities and their potential bottlenecks. Because I-90 from Buffalo to Boston is a limited access toll road, very expensive... BTW but that also says it moves very good most of the time unless there is a major accident or issue. Run it with traffic and you will probably hit all the MPH estimates... expect Buffalo to I495 to be about 7 hours if you stay in the saddle pretty much..

Of course you know that once you hit I-495 your pretty much at the mercy of the time of the day till you hit New Hampshire.

Coming east through PA, unless you take the PA Turnpike, you will need to content with road condition. If you want more scenery I would come across the top of PA on US 6. You can decide near Scranton or earlier if you want to head out toward I-90 in Albany area via I-88 to cutout Connecticut.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #5 of 13 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 10:56 pm Thread Starter

Hi Jack.

Thank you fpr your time and suggestions.

I'll have to look up everything you mentioned.

I moved here from Becket MA in 1989; grew up in Stamford CT; lived in Nashua NH for a few years during late 60s-early 70s.

I just ordered my EZ pass from IL.

Best from Tucson
Bob

post #6 of 13 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:13 pm

Bob,
I just started reusing MapQuest for directions. It seems Google & Bing no longer allow you to send the route from your computer to your GPS as MapQuest now does. We split up and save the routes (name them) and imported them into my Garmin SD card. Break up the main route you choose into one day routes.
MapQuest also gives you many more route choices to pick and I try to avoid tolls unless the time/milage is much higher.
I have been to Maine 2 years back via the coast highway, really nice country, weather, and ride.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:32 pm Thread Starter

Many thanks for the tip Joe.

As it is I have to send my 665 back to Garmin for a replacement. After a lot of arguing with them, this is a replacemnt unit for the 665 I bought for a ride from MA to AZ, they offered to send the replacemnt unit via 2 day.

So, it will take a few days before I can start programing my GPS. Doing the possible routes on line and then storing them later in my GPS will help. But that's all assuming they can finally get a 665 to me that works.

Best from tucson
Bob

post #8 of 13 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Many thanks for the tip Joe.

As it is I have to send my 665 back to Garmin for a replacement. After a lot of arguing with them, this is a replacemnt unit for the 665 I bought for a ride from MA to AZ, they offered to send the replacemnt unit via 2 day.

So, it will take a few days before I can start programing my GPS. Doing the possible routes on line and then storing them later in my GPS will help. But that's all assuming they can finally get a 665 to me that works.

Best from tucson
Bob
let me know if you need any 660 help as I've become very versed in its operation. BE CERTAIN TO REGISTER IT AND UPDATE THE SW! They do not come with updated maps and software. If you have lifetime maps they will move to your new device account.
Is your replacement a BMW branded Navigator IV or Garmin Zumo 665?

2001 Honda C-250 Helix

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 Old Jul 25th, 2012, 9:58 am Thread Starter

I bought a 665 for my ride last year from Maine back to AZ. It was a refurbished unit at the same price of a new 660.

When I opened the box everything looked new except for the handle bar mount. Within a few uses of the unit I started having problems with it. Most of the time turning it off and on solved the problem. Things gradually got worse. Downloading new software seemed to fix the problem.

While all of this was going on I had my LT apart installing new cables and adjusting them to get the cc working.

When I was finally done about three weeks before I was going to leave the 665 audio would go into fast forward; sometimes playback would slow waaaaay down; sometimes there wouldn't be any audio.

Garmin agreed it was time to replace the unit. I pointed out that the replacement had to be to me in less than 3 weeks. Their turn around time might not get a replacement to me in time, and they refused to do anything to insure I had the replacement unit in time.

rather than not have any GPS, I used the unit for my trip back home. Sometimes the audio worked,

I sent the first unit back to them and received this unit in Feb, I haven't needed a GPS so other than charging it up to make sure the MP3 play back worked, I haven't used the unit. About a week ago I decided to take her for a run. All was fine for about 45 minutes and then the audio disappeared.

I went through the normal stuff of down loading new software etc which solved the problem until I shut it off and turned it on the next day before leaving home.

During my heated call to tech services, asking what they were going to do to insure what ever unit they set to me would work and once again being told their normal turnaround time might not get i to me, I forcefully mentioned that I was extremely unhappy that they would do absolutely nothing to make sure I had a functioning unit. My insistence that I be transferred to someone who had the ability to help me was repeatedly denied. Around the 5th time I insisted I be transfered to anyone else at Garmin in hopes that they would have a better comprehension of English I was put briefly on hold, and was then offered a completely new boxed unit that would be sent via two day mail.

But, it turns out that Garmin does not have any 665s in stock.

With no other option, I agreed to try another refurbished unit if they sent it via 2 day mail.

So. I'm waiting for a 3rd refurbished 665 to arrive; my wait is with trepidation--will a third refurbished unit function properly?

Best from Tucson
Bob

post #10 of 13 Old Jul 26th, 2012, 5:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
But, it turns out that Garmin does not have any 665s in stock.

With no other option, I agreed to try another refurbished unit if they sent it via 2 day mail.

So. I'm waiting for a 3rd refurbished 665 to arrive; my wait is with trepidation--will a third refurbished unit function properly?

Best from Tucson
Bob
Bob, are you sure MURPHY is not hiding in your house?!?!
Hopefully third time is a charm!

2001 Honda C-250 Helix

Smokin'

post #11 of 13 Old Aug 7th, 2012, 5:50 pm

Bob, did you get a gps that worked?

2001 Honda C-250 Helix

Smokin'

post #12 of 13 Old Aug 9th, 2012, 9:13 pm Thread Starter

Hi Joe.

Got my third 665; so far it's working perfectly. I'll have to look up how to import from MapQuest. Since you mentioned it I've been using it to plot my way to Duluth.

I've got one good wx route laid out, at least if the wx is good to ALBQ and then ALBQ into the Denver area.

After Denver I figure it's pretty much going to be flat so good wx and rainy wx would be the same route.

Bob

post #13 of 13 Old Aug 11th, 2012, 9:31 am

Good to hear Bob!

2001 Honda C-250 Helix

Smokin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in