Anyone In New Jersey/Philly Area For This? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 5:38 am Thread Starter

Anyone In New Jersey/Philly Area For This?

I recently posted a thread on "How To Replace A Clutch Slave Cylinder" and will be tackling this job over the new few weekends. That said, I was wondering if there is someone local who could be a resource for technical support and would want to do their LT as well (I have room in my garage for a second LT -- but I don't have a lift for my bike).

Although I am handy turning a wrench, I am far from a technician and could use some moral (and technical support).

Glenn

P.S. I was watching the 1st video and it seems like something that I can handle with the right tools (and moral support).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 11:24 am

Re: Anyone In New Jersey/Philly Area For This?

Glenn

My clutch release point is nearing the end so my fear is that I am looking at a clutch replacement in the near future. If that is the case I am in with you on this. From what I have read where you will be going is about 1/2 way to a clutch replacement.
Mike
post #3 of 9 Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 8:11 pm Thread Starter

Hey Mike great hearing from you. On my end, my biggest issue seems like a leak in the slave clutch based on what I can tell. That said, I am going to tackle this over the next three weekends. Not too sure how long it will take, but what the heck, I am willing to give it a shot -- as you know, I have plenty of room for your bike too.

Let me know if you want to be part of the process...

Glenn

post #4 of 9 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 7:13 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Hi Glenn, I'll see if my son-in-law has finished machining my 30mm socket and 12mm allen wrench combo mod, (he has had it forever). If done, you're welcome to use it if needed. I've occasionally noticed a drop of tranny oil, from the weep hole I drilled in the clutch housing, on my 06 LT. I think it was over filled at last service and haven't seen much of anything since. The clutch isn't slipping and I've been reluctant to go in there and check or modify anything. I'm saying this do to the fact it's 95% sure I'll trike it this year and don't know how difficult an inspection or clutch change will be after the fact. I surely would enjoy helping/observing your repair but my weekends are busy and don't know if I'd be able to lend a hand for consecutive ones. Let me know when you'll want to start this..........Rob

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ
2009 BMW R1200RT Metallic Black
2006 BMW K1200LT/2012 Hannigan Trike Magnesium Black
2004 BMW K1200GT Orient Blue

"Money talks...but all mine ever says is good-bye."

"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts
not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert
the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
post #5 of 9 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 8:29 am Thread Starter

Hey Rob how are you...wow, your thread was a welcome surprise to read today. I may take you up on the 30mm socket -- I am pretty sure I have a 12mm allen but I need to check my tool set.

so you are going to a trike..why is that? You seem to have handled the LT w/ just two wheels.

Glenn

PS I might be heading to Vineland to see if I can purchase the motorcycle lift table for $300. Seems like a good investment for me as I like to tinker.

PSS What is your cell number -- you can PM me if you want to send it off.

PSSS - yes, could use your moral support here too as I remember you were rather handy turning a wrench/and on the technical side.
post #6 of 9 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 9:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Well to make a short story long, when my wife and I were down at "Tail of the Dragon" in 2010 I had the LT loaded down, created a higher center of gravity and probably maxed out in weight, it was all I could to maneuver it around in the hilly areas at slower speeds. At one point I let my guard down and put my left foot down on the low side of a hill. Well over we went, it threw Deb into a mud puddle and me, well I just felt like an ass. It took 3 of us to right the beast and it was then I decided to do something about it if I were to keep it. Didn't really want to get rid of it for the long distance traveling comfort. Plus this will give my spouse an opportunity to pilot it herself as she is of short stature, (munchkin). I'll probably get rid of my other 2 bikes and buy a used R1200RT for traveling on 2 wheels but keep it somewhat localized, maybe no more than 5 or 6 hours away. I'm going to be out and about today but will pm my cell number soon......see you soon, Rob

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ
2009 BMW R1200RT Metallic Black
2006 BMW K1200LT/2012 Hannigan Trike Magnesium Black
2004 BMW K1200GT Orient Blue

"Money talks...but all mine ever says is good-bye."

"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts
not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert
the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
post #7 of 9 Old Feb 6th, 2012, 11:12 am

Glen

Just ordered the clutch from Germany and my plan is to place it onto the shelf until I need it. I am very interested in seeing how easy it comes apart though. I took my rubber boot off a couple of weeks ago and got a little residual fluid come out. Let me know when you plan on working on it and if my schedule will allow I may come watch/assist.

Mike
post #8 of 9 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 5:50 am Thread Starter

Mike: I am going to be tearing into this project this coming Saturday morning. If you are around, please stop by. BTW, I spoke with Rob from Vineland and he is possibly coming up for moral support.

To help make the repair easier, I bought a harbour freight motorcycle lift table -- the same one pictured in the weep hole drilling video by John Z. It was only $279.

If you want to stop by, email or call me. I will send an email to you shortly.

Glenn

P.S. How much was the clutch from germany?
post #9 of 9 Old Feb 12th, 2012, 7:41 pm Thread Starter

Re: Anyone In New Jersey/Philly Area For This? (Mike, Bob and Rob)

Mike, Rob and Bob: Thank you so much for all your help on Saturday. I greatly appreciate it --- as you could of seen, I was a little overwhelmed with all the work but you made it great.

I ended up back in the garage this morning to get things organized and was amazed (after putting all the tools away and cleaning the bike table) how many things were in the right place. THANK YOU...

Anyway, it looks like am on the right path to getting the LT up and running soon.

BTW, you guys are more than welcome to use my table whenever you need it -- also along with my help.

Again, thank you!!!!

Glen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in