How to avoid traffic jams in NYC area? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 3:32 pm Thread Starter

How to avoid traffic jams in NYC/NJ area?

I'm looking at riding from New Fairfield Ct to Washington DC via Peekskill NY and the Bear Mountain PKWY into route 87, then onto 95 south.

It looks as if it will take 6.5 hours of riding; I'm figuring an 8.5 hour day?

If I leave new fairfield around 8Am and cross over into NJ on I90 around 9-10, am I going to hit a lot of traffic?

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Last edited by BecketMa; Sep 22nd, 2011 at 3:38 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 5:54 pm

Re: How to avoid traffic jams in NYC area?

Quote:
How to avoid traffic jams in NYC/NJ area?

lets see ... don't go there perhaps

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

post #3 of 9 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 7:29 pm
Cat Herder

That was my first reaction as well.

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 7:40 pm
Cat Herder

Re: How to avoid traffic jams in NYC/NJ area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
I'm looking at riding from New Fairfield Ct to Washington DC via Peekskill NY and the Bear Mountain PKWY into route 87, then onto 95 south.

It looks as if it will take 6.5 hours of riding; I'm figuring an 8.5 hour day?

If I leave new fairfield around 8Am and cross over into NJ on I90 around 9-10, am I going to hit a lot of traffic?

Best from Gorham ME
Bob
If you leave your driveway at 8AM on a weekday in that area you are in a traffic jam. I'd leave 10 AM, head for the Tappan Zee Bridge, down the GSP to the NJ Toll Road. You will hit the Baltimore DC area in rush hour. It may be best to stop north of Baltimore for dinner and let traffic die down.

If your trip is on Friday, all bets are off. It is still warm enough for everyone to start draining out of the eastern cities to go to the shore or the country starting at noon on Friday.
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 7:52 pm

If I were heading to DC and wanted to avoid traffic, instead of going south on I-87, I would go north and get to I-84 as go west to Scranton PA and take I-81 to Maryland and then head east to wherever I really needed to go. It don't think it would take much longer.

And alternate to north on I-87 would be to head south but go west on I-287 and then west on I-80 to I-81, then south. There is no way I would take I-95 south from I-87.. That is arguably the worst traffic in northeast on I-95. The only thing worse is reversing that route going north over the GW Bridge.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 8:24 pm

Do yourself a favor and leave at 10:00 PM.

2013 BMW K1600GLT (I love this bike!)...
2005 BMW K1200LT, a/k/a "Fat Bottomed Girl" (traded for 2013 K1600GLT)...
1998 Honda VFR800, the finest sport/tourer ever created...
1978 Yamaha DT400E, because I just can't leave the sound of a two-stroke behind...
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 10:09 am Thread Starter

Thank You for the time it took everyone to post suggestions, especially the alternate routes, and stopping outside of DC for dinner.

Sine i like "Bert and I" humor, I smiled at the don't go there.:-) OR, may be it reminded me of one of my favorite Henny Youngman Jokes?

While time goes by FAST when I ride late at night, little or no traffic, I don't sleep well when I finally stop--ruins the next day for me.

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 5:17 am

Garage
Re: How to avoid traffic jams in NYC/NJ area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
If you leave your driveway at 8AM on a weekday in that area you are in a traffic jam. I'd leave 10 AM, head for the Tappan Zee Bridge, down the GSP to the NJ Toll Road. You will hit the Baltimore DC area in rush hour. It may be best to stop north of Baltimore for dinner and let traffic die down.
Nicely played sir!

Not bad for a Texan!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #9 of 9 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 8:59 am

Hi Bob,

I just drove from just outside NYC to Newark Delaware and back on Thursday to visit my son at UDel. There's a lot of construction both directions, going on on the NJ Turnpike (RT95) from just south of exit 9 (New Brunswick) to below exit 6. They are extending the length of the truck lanes. It wasn't too bad in an SUV, but all the slowing traffic and dump trucks could annoy you on a bike. There also seemed to be quite a bit of debris on the roadway which would concern me. On the southbound leg alone I noticed 3 cars pulled off to the side changing tires.

Even though it seems to be a bit longer, the mentioned route into PA would be better IMO.

Just another thought... You could also take the Garden State Pkwy south from 87 (Thruway) and just stay on it until the end at Cape May and take the ferry to Delaware then work your way toward Washington. I did that last summer and it was a nice change of pace. I'd say about 3.5 hours from CT to Cape May and by then the 70 minute ferry trip would give you a welcome break to sit at a booth and have a snack and re-hydrate.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields

Last edited by George_S; Sep 24th, 2011 at 10:50 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in