Day trips from Portland ME - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old May 5th, 2011, 3:21 pm Thread Starter

Day trips from Portland ME

I'll be in the Portland area this summer for a couple of months, half of June, July and August..

Other than riding into Nova Scotia, looks like interstate all the way, I don't have any rides in mind yet.

SO, I'm looking for suggestions for places to go on day trips, maybe one night rides.

It's going to be FUN to back in New England with all of the back roads to ride. Nothin like that here in the Tucson area.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old May 5th, 2011, 7:43 pm

Re: Day trips from Portland ME

Head north from Portland into New Hampshire, ride the Kancamagus Highway (NH112) through the White Mountains, then head north; maybe over Rt 2 to Gorham, Back into Maine; stop at Bob's BBQ in Bethel; maybe up around Rangeley Lakes, etc etc etc.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old May 5th, 2011, 7:46 pm

if you can do more than a day trip, ride up into Vermont, There is so much good riding and no traffic, go to Quebec too - Quebec City and the area east of the City - Charlevoix along Rt 138 up to Tadoussac and beyond - spectacular!

RB

2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

post #4 of 16 Old May 5th, 2011, 7:48 pm

Of course, with time you could spend a weekend in the Adirondacks, Hudson Valley, Berkshires, Finger Lakes - I could go on and on.

RB

2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

post #5 of 16 Old May 5th, 2011, 7:59 pm

Hi, Bar Harbor is exceptional. Rt 201 up to Jackman. Greenville Maine. Rangley is another great ride.

Look me up and give you a guided tour of what Maine has to offer. I'm just one hour up the road in Waterville.

2009 K1300GT Blue
2003 K1200LT Titan Silver

2004 Suzuki DRZ 250 off road
1979 Honda CBX 1000 (6 cyl) Sounds like a Jet...
post #6 of 16 Old May 5th, 2011, 9:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Bob,

About 2 hours from Portland is the Mount Washington auto road. It's a toll road so you have to pay for the ride. If you go there make sure your brakes are in good shape for the ride back down. It's a paved road to the top and by the time you get there the snow will be gone. Celebrating 150 Years in 2011.

http://www.mtwashingtonautoroad.com/

Just remembered a nice book from Whitehorse Gear on New England, has a bunch of day trips listed. Motorcycle Journeys Through New England (3rd Ed.) Find it here. http://www.whitehorsegear.com/motorc...england-3rd-ed

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

Last edited by johnbaker15; May 5th, 2011 at 10:05 pm. Reason: Add book information
post #7 of 16 Old May 5th, 2011, 10:10 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions.
I will be staying in Gorham.

It's been about 30 years since I rode the Kank--a good suggestion. Too bad The Old Man of the mountains is gone.

I moved here from Becket MA, the Berkshires, in 1989. I'll be heading to Becket from Gorham for 4th of July weekend to visit with family, and a couple of more times during the summer. But, we will probably be taking the interstate on those trips.

While I was visiting Gorham during March, my friend brought to me to Bar Harbour--FANTASTIC food. It was so good, I insisted we go back again before I left. For me, their food was like getting home grown tomatoes vrs tomatoes from a supermarket.

One of the foods I'd like to find in the area is fried Oysters. Before I moved out here I went to the Cape for a weekend and stopped by a small place that had fresh fried oysters.

When I lived in Nashua NH during the late 60s I was introduced to "Bert and I". When I was in the Gorham are it was exciting for me when my fried had to go to Bangor for a two day business meeting.

Maybe I should plan a trip to Millinocket and East Vassalboro?

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #8 of 16 Old May 6th, 2011, 8:46 pm

Right around the middle of June is Laconia Bike Week .. That would be interesting... to say the least. It's a one time thing..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Last edited by jackd; May 6th, 2011 at 8:47 pm. Reason: Fix link
post #9 of 16 Old May 6th, 2011, 9:49 pm Thread Starter

Hi Jack

That's an interesting suggestion.

When I was young and foolish, in the early 90s, I rode an HD chopper that I built. Of course, since I had an HD I had to go to Louden.

The first time I went, I actually went to the races. The second time it was just to see the ZOO behavior, and see way out custom HDs. I went with a bunch of others from Nashua and stayed on some land we rented for the weekend.

Around 3AM we were invaded by State police who told us we had 15 minutes to get out of town.

Best from Tucson
Bob

post #10 of 16 Old May 8th, 2011, 7:52 am

Hello Bob,

Could you please send me some details on the Nova Scotia trip things to see, places to go. Nova Scotia is on my to do list this year..

Thanks..
Arthur J.

05 LT (ocean blue) "Jenny"
post #11 of 16 Old May 8th, 2011, 6:54 pm Thread Starter

Huuum? I lived in Nashau in the early 70s, not 90s.

This is where my friend wants to go:

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl...42045493579892

It looks like an interesting trip with quite a few things to do there for a day or two.

Best from Tucson AZ, we broke the 100F mark recently.

Bob

post #12 of 16 Old May 9th, 2011, 11:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

May I recommend Boothbay as a place to see and relax. What a beautiful place! We went there for some lunch last October on our fall colors trip from Portland Oregon to Portland Maine. Here is a picture from the dock and restaurant called The Whale's Tail (excellent food I might add):

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (Coming soon!)
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles and counting!
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #13 of 16 Old May 9th, 2011, 12:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Bob,

Don't know if you knew they don't run the ferry out of Portland and longer, so you would be looking at about 11 hour run to Halifax, Nova Scotia. I went there a number of years ago and St. Mary's Basilica is something to see. Hope you neck is in good shape or you will need to park a couple blocks away to see the top.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #14 of 16 Old May 9th, 2011, 6:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Bob,

Don't know if you knew they don't run the ferry out of Portland and longer, so you would be looking at about 11 hour run to Halifax, Nova Scotia. I went there a number of years ago and St. Mary's Basilica is something to see. Hope you neck is in good shape or you will need to park a couple blocks away to see the top.

ferry is long gone and sold. i work in downtown portland (the old port area) and my wife and I ride every weekend. Just a FYI, they are replacing a swing bridge on RTE 302 in Naples (on the way to North Conway NH and Mt Washington) so route around that area.

We did a quick RTE to Montsweag Roadhouse on Sunday. http://www.montsweagroadhouse.com/website/

Fresh (did I mention fresh?) maine seafood, amazing steaks and great entertainment.

just ask if you need more info on routes, rides, or traffic.

-Mark

PS read (and look at these posts)

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56991
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57197

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER

Last edited by mconlogue; May 9th, 2011 at 6:23 pm.
post #15 of 16 Old May 9th, 2011, 8:14 pm

I give strong second to Bar Harbor and the island around Bar Harbor. Also if you do make the trek to Mt Desert Island you must drive to the top of Cadillac Mountain. On a clear day the views are spectacular. You can almost see the edge of the world from the top. The park loop road and the island offer some great scenery and some fabulous restaurants. Just my two cents. I am in Bangor, so if your in the neighborhood drop me a line.

Robert
post #16 of 16 Old May 9th, 2011, 10:04 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the tips and info.

We'll have to take a few day trips to find out how my friend does on roads trips before heading out for an 11 hour trip.

Best from Tucson
Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in