I was really lucky on Saturday! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old May 24th, 2010, 7:46 am Thread Starter

Unhappy I was really lucky on Saturday!

I think I was really lucky on Saturday.

I was riding the bike from the dealer back home ... following a Ford Econoline looking kind of a van ...

I was behind the van riding on the right side of the right lane when we had to cross over some railroad tracks.

The road was very familiar to me (Edison, NJ) my old neighborhood and probably going about 35-40mph which is the speed limit on Woodbridge Avenue.

The minute the van crosses the railroad tracks, its spare tire fell on the road laying flat. I was right behind it trying to predict where it would be sliding so I would not hit it.

Thank God the wheel fell flat and did not move too much, but while swerving to avoid it, it slightly grazed my left side of the bike.

No marks on the bike whatsoever, never felt any impact and I "barely" missed a full spare tire with the rim on the road.

Who would have expected for this to happen? My riding buddy behind me was thanking God I was upfront. I like to constantly scan around and predict. He firmly believe that if he was in front, we would have a bike down by now.

I caught up with the van at the light and informed the gentlemen that their tire could still be the cause of an accident especially laying in the middle of the right lane ...

That was a close call and took me a couple of minutes to recover ...

I thought that one day I will be hit by a car, a deer, another cycle, BUT never thought I could go down by a full spare tire .....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old May 24th, 2010, 11:03 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: I was really lucky on Saturday!

Last summer the spare tire on my Kendon trailer broke loose and was being scooted along by the trailer axle. It burnt through the sidewall and a layer of cord before I got stopped. The LT was on the trailer and a second bike in the back of my truck. I figure I came close to the trailer being vaulted into the air a few feet if the sidewall had blown on the spare, causing it to catch on the pavement. Kudos to the folks at Kendon who covered the tire and wheel under workmanship warranty (bad weld). They're good people if you're ever in the market for a trailer.
post #3 of 3 Old May 24th, 2010, 11:03 am

Re: I was really lucky on Saturday!

Lot's of folks have been killed by wheels coming off vehicles.. Especially Semi trucks...

Glad you had your swerve on..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in