The 2010 BBD Ride New England - Course Planning - BMW Luxury Touring Community
View Poll Results: Where should the 2010 BBD ride take us?
Southern VT, north and loop west into NY 1 12.50%
Southern VT, north and loop east into NH 1 12.50%
Southern VT, south and loop west into MA/CT 0 0%
Southern VT, north and loop east into ME 6 75.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 80 Old Mar 19th, 2010, 8:11 am Thread Starter

The 2010 BBD Ride New England - Course Planning

Based on majority rule, the 2010 BBD Ride New England is scheduled for June 5 and 6th. I apologize to those who didn't choose this weekend; I knew of no other fair way to decide. I hope all are able to make the ride.

The next order of business is the route and subsequent venue. I can decide, of course, but I wanted to get your input.

Earlier talk of a ride that starts in southern VT and loops around NY state is a possibility. Also possible are rides that cover the northeast kingdom or Maine.

Please do vote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 5:47 pm

Re: The 2010 BBD Ride New England - Course Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CohesiveTechnology
Based on majority rule, the 2010 BBD Ride New England is scheduled for June 5 and 6th. I apologize to those who didn't choose this weekend; I knew of no other fair way to decide. I hope all are able to make the ride.

The next order of business is the route and subsequent venue. I can decide, of course, but I wanted to get your input.

Earlier talk of a ride that starts in southern VT and loops around NY state is a possibility. Also possible are rides that cover the northeast kingdom or Maine.

Please do vote.
If you deside on the north Kindom and Gods country of Maine let me know and I can help with the planning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)
post #3 of 80 Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 8:58 am Thread Starter

OK Friends,
It looks like the 2010 BBD Ride New England will be June 5th and 6th and will start somewhere in SE VT/NH and travel north and east for a loop that enters ME at its apex.

I will now look at the roads and venues. But before I nail this down, I need a head-count.

SPINDR: I read where 201 going north/south is a great road in ME. Is this a good road for a Sunday morning return trip? If we are in ME on Sunday morning I think avoiding the coast is advisable because of traffic. When we solidify the plans, I want to keep traffic flow in mind.

Also to be kept in mind is every attendees' trip to this party. If we are going north and east, should we start from someplace other than Brattleboro (no offence the good people of VT). Where is everyone traveling from to get here?

I will say that my thoughts for the first leg takes us up routes to include the VT/NH boarder as these are not normally dense with traffic.

I will give this thread another week and then form these plans (hopefully with input).

Should we plan a commemorative BBD ball cap or shirt (or thong)?

Please provide me a head-count as soon as you can.

David

post #4 of 80 Old Mar 24th, 2010, 11:15 am

Dave
Thanks for taking this on. I am coming from Derry, NH, so I am easy on the initial meet and greet. Last year we did shirts, how about hats to go with them?
post #5 of 80 Old Mar 24th, 2010, 6:12 pm

This won't help, but I am pretty easy on the route, doesn't really matter to me. I'll be coming from the Rochester, NH area, so I am easy on the meeting place as well.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

post #6 of 80 Old Mar 24th, 2010, 10:36 pm

Quote:
OK Friends,
It looks like the 2010 BBD Ride New England will be June 5th and 6th and will start somewhere in SE VT/NH and travel north and east for a loop that enters ME at its apex.

I will now look at the roads and venues. But before I nail this down, I need a head-count.

SPINDR: I read where 201 going north/south is a great road in ME. Is this a good road for a Sunday morning return trip? If we are in ME on Sunday morning I think avoiding the coast is advisable because of traffic. When we solidify the plans, I want to keep traffic flow in mind.

Also to be kept in mind is every attendees' trip to this party. If we are going north and east, should we start from someplace other than Brattleboro (no offence the good people of VT). Where is everyone traveling from to get here?

I will say that my thoughts for the first leg takes us up routes to include the VT/NH boarder as these are not normally dense with traffic.

I will give this thread another week and then form these plans (hopefully with input).

Should we plan a commemorative BBD ball cap or shirt (or thong)?

Please provide me a head-count as soon as you can.

David
Hi
201 is a great road but depends how deep you want to go in to Maine, If you want to go to NH and Maine then I suggest Errol NH Then 16 to Rangely down on 17 through High of the land to Hwy 2, then down to Fryeburg in to NH. Or go from Rangely north through the woods and by the end of the day ride high of the land, (not too late due to moose) and stay in Rumford, Bethel or Fryeburg. Sunday go nuts on NH and will be closer to flat Lander land Only suggestions.

BMWMOA # 130458

post #7 of 80 Old Mar 25th, 2010, 11:28 am

I'm new to the BMW LT Community and am not familiar with the BBD Ride New England, or BBD for that matter. Can't find any information on a Google search, either. Could someone kindly point me in the right direction? Thanks!
post #8 of 80 Old Mar 25th, 2010, 11:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas
I'm new to the BMW LT Community and am not familiar with the BBD Ride New England, or BBD for that matter. Can't find any information on a Google search, either. Could someone kindly point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Hey guys, we have stayed under the radar!!!

The BBDs are a group of us from this forum that started an annual ride in VT. BBD=Beemer Biker Dudes. It was suggested after a few beers on the first ride. The original group was 5 or 6 of us and it has expanded to many more. We draw from all over the east coast. Saddleman came up from SC(?) last year for the ride. It typically starts on a Friday night and ends on Sunday. The suggestion was made last year to expand the route to include Maine, NY or NH.

We only have one rule: NO LOUD PIPES!

Did I miss anything?

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #9 of 80 Old Mar 25th, 2010, 1:12 pm Thread Starter

No attitudes. Have fun. Give me money.
post #10 of 80 Old Mar 26th, 2010, 12:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzyellodog
Hey guys, we have stayed under the radar!!!

The BBDs are a group of us from this forum that started an annual ride in VT. BBD=Beemer Biker Dudes. It was suggested after a few beers on the first ride. The original group was 5 or 6 of us and it has expanded to many more. We draw from all over the east coast. Saddleman came up from SC(?) last year for the ride. It typically starts on a Friday night and ends on Sunday. The suggestion was made last year to expand the route to include Maine, NY or NH.

We only have one rule: NO LOUD PIPES!

Did I miss anything?
We love to ride, have fun, eat, and SO's are welcome as riders or passengers.. Last year we had two groups one spirited rides and one not so spirited :-) I think there were 8 of us in the original ride.but Charlie will correct us for sure if we are wrong. Also we get together and help each other with maintenance and tech help.

BMWMOA # 130458

post #11 of 80 Old Mar 26th, 2010, 5:30 am

2007 Ride Vermont attendees aka Ride of the Beemer Biker Dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedr
We love to ride, have fun, eat, and SO's are welcome as riders or passengers.. Last year we had two groups one spirited rides and one not so spirited :-) I think there were 8 of us in the original ride.but Charlie will correct us for sure if we are wrong. Also we get together and help each other with maintenance and tech help.
2007 "Ride Vermont", In attendance were: Kevin, Gerard, Bill, Guathama, Fred, Jim, Jerome, Joseph
(I think....)
And not necessarily in that order in the pic attached....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ride Vermont.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	26761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bikes.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	26762  
post #12 of 80 Old Mar 26th, 2010, 9:03 am

Sounds like things are moving forward. I will miss the ride this year as I will be leaving on the 27th of May and returning near the end of June. Heading west via motorcycle. You guys enjoy the BBD weekend and Be Safe
post #13 of 80 Old Mar 26th, 2010, 7:19 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I got a route for ya. Y'all head south an meet up somewhere on I-95 south an just south of Richmond break right on I-85 south. Once ya gits in North Carolina exit right on state hwy.73 (exit # 55) Stop an give me a yell so as I can be ready when y'all ride by I can be ready to join ya. Then just keep on riding west an them good riding mountain roads will be a comming up on ya real soon.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #14 of 80 Old Mar 28th, 2010, 10:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
I got a route for ya. Y'all head south an meet up somewhere on I-95 south an just south of Richmond break right on I-85 south. Once ya gits in North Carolina exit right on state hwy.73 (exit # 55) Stop an give me a yell so as I can be ready when y'all ride by I can be ready to join ya. Then just keep on riding west an them good riding mountain roads will be a comming up on ya real soon.
Hey Saddleman Dave, looks like we're not going to see you up here this season? One epic ride to NE and you're hanging up the cleats?! Looking forward to riding with you again in May in your neck o' the woods, though.

David - Great to see that we're heading into Maine this year! Spinedr and I are looking forward to showing off some of the great North Woods! Let me know if you'd like some help wth the route, hotels or whatever.

David/Spinedr - what do you think about riding up to Height of Land, or Rt 16 past Lake Mephremagogg? A "little" north, but unbelievable scenery, little traffic and great roads.

2002 LT
2004 950 Adv
2006 RT
Total Cylinder Count: 102
post #15 of 80 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 9:23 am Thread Starter

Sounds good. A couple of considerations; we will likely look at less than 500 mile round trip (twisties and stops take time away from the day). We will need a place to stop for the night in ME that can accommodate us all. We will want to avoid as much traffic as is possible.

Can you google the proposed trip and send it to me? You can create a map and send me the link.

I am fine with the north country, but we will need to avoid entrance into Canada (unless we explicitly plan for it and bring our passports). I know that up country, one can find themselves among the Canucks without realizing a boarder has been crossed.

ME is quite beautiful and a great ride. What are the roads like this year? I have an LT, not a GS.
post #16 of 80 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 12:29 pm

Well, I can guarantee that the roads will be in no worse condition than the one we took into The Inn at Jay last year! Western Maine is a looong way from the coast and that's where the summer traffic is mostly concentrated, along with some of the southern lakes like Sebago.

I'll get together with Spinedr and we'll send you our joint suggestion for a Maine route and lodging. A couple of questions, first:

1. Where are you planning to start the ride from?

2. How many riders are you expecting (good lodging will fill up fairly quickly)?

3. Are you looking for 2 routes ("spirited" and "touring")?

2002 LT
2004 950 Adv
2006 RT
post #17 of 80 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 2:25 pm Thread Starter

I see the weekend beginning and ending somewhere between Southern VT and Southern NH (being considerate of the attendees trip up).

I do not yet have an accurate head count though I have a poll now up. Please vote ya'll.

As to the course; that I would leave to the group. I suspect that most will opt for a more relaxed course. We can plan a detour for the spirited among up if the chosen course supports this.
post #18 of 80 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 5:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznam
Well, I can guarantee that the roads will be in no worse condition than the one we took into The Inn at Jay last year! Western Maine is a looong way from the coast and that's where the summer traffic is mostly concentrated, along with some of the southern lakes like Sebago.

I'll get together with Spinedr and we'll send you our joint suggestion for a Maine route and lodging. A couple of questions, first:

1. Where are you planning to start the ride from?

2. How many riders are you expecting (good lodging will fill up fairly quickly)?

3. Are you looking for 2 routes ("spirited" and "touring")?
Those are good questions, If you are in the lower end by Frigburg then we can take some real nice roads though the hills to Hwy 2 and then to Rumford Center to Grafton notch to Errol NH to 16 Stratton down on 27 / 16 to Sugarloaf and to Hwy 4 back to Rangely and Oquossoc up 17 High of the land to Rumford and Bethel to Gorham etc. This is a possibility with some modifications. Some of this roads we can go spirited but there is some real nice views and stops. We can go more west depending on time and I am sure Dave has some good Ideas. Dave If the group want to do this in Maine then we can get together for food (IHOP JUMMM ) and nice ride we can get a final rout and distance. We can get lodging in Rumford, Bethel, Sugar loaf ???. We can talk about it
If we start in the upper end just change some depending on NH routs and end point. We can meet little closer than Vermont like in Meredith NH or Lincoln NH and start the trip on Kancamagus Hwy. or we can end there on Sunday. MMMM fun Or if south is prefered to end there is nice ride down to Portlan going through Sebago Lake to access the Hwy to NY.

BMWMOA # 130458

Last edited by spinedr; Mar 29th, 2010 at 5:31 pm.
post #19 of 80 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 7:00 pm

I'm thinking it's time for us to eat, Spinedr! I'll call you.

I think you've got the bones of a great ride outlined in your 1st sentence. So much great riding up there and NO congestion! As far as I know, no passing on solid lines in ME, though ;-(.

Also thinking that the further north and east the ride start is, the better the routing can be - staying within David's guidance of a 500 mile ride and a starting point that's accessible for everyone.

I'm already tasting dinner at The Rack (owned by snowboardcross gold medalist Seth Wescott) and maybe the night up at the 'Loaf or Saddleback sipping our preferred libations and watching the sun set over the northern wilderness...

2002 LT
2004 950 Adv
2006 RT
post #20 of 80 Old Mar 30th, 2010, 4:07 pm

Just throwing this one out there, I'll be doing the ride at some point this season either way. Check the "Favorite Ride" on page 76 of the May issue of Rider. Looks like a nice ride.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

post #21 of 80 Old Mar 30th, 2010, 8:32 pm

Tony, I don't get "Rider" - can you send me the route (basic directions would be fine).

2002 LT
2004 950 Adv
2006 RT
post #22 of 80 Old Mar 30th, 2010, 8:52 pm

Quote:
Tony, I don't get "Rider" - can you send me the route (basic directions would be fine).

Sure:

Starts in Gray on 26 up to 232, he then says "some local roads" to 17 just west of Rumford. 17 to 4, down to 142 back to Rumford.Mexico area. He also talks about a loop up 26 to 16 to 4. If I remember correctly,on that loop we would go right by the Errol International Airport.

I also remember there is a wire suspension bridge (built in the 1860's) somewhere in that area as well that I went to a couple years ago, might be a neat little stop if folks are into that kind of thing

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

post #23 of 80 Old Apr 7th, 2010, 7:56 am Thread Starter

Hi Folks,
Sorry that I have been incommunicado; I put my new project on the road.

It is time to get this scheduled. We are talking the weekend of June 5th. DZNAM and SPINDR were going to get together and think of a good ME route.

Were do we stand now?
post #24 of 80 Old Apr 8th, 2010, 12:06 pm

Quote:
Hi Folks,
Sorry that I have been incommunicado; I put my new project on the road.

It is time to get this scheduled. We are talking the weekend of June 5th. DZNAM and SPINDR were going to get together and think of a good ME route.

Were do we stand now?
Hi!! me and Dave still looking for a good day to ride and eat Have you figure out the Friday meeting? Is it by Charlies or in NH south, north? I suggested two towns but it can be enywhere. Just need to know for the rout planning. In this months Riders Magazine, there is an article on Maine riding that includes Portland to Rumford (my town) and surrounding areas, similar to what Dave and I were thinking. Checked it out !!! We need to think about reservations for friday and Saturday. It is getting closed to the date Do we only have 6 people so far? Where are the BBDs lets get excited!!! Every one is invited !!! Lets Ride!!!

BMWMOA # 130458

post #25 of 80 Old Apr 9th, 2010, 11:23 am

Sorry Guys - Going to have to count me out. They scheduled the surgery for the end of May and I won't be healed enough to ride that weekend.
post #26 of 80 Old Apr 9th, 2010, 2:06 pm Thread Starter

Guys,
Arthur we can hold off some time for you to heal. All we have discussed is route and time frame.

If you are not healed, I can tow you in a trailer.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'ld give you whatever time you need at one beer per week.
post #27 of 80 Old Apr 9th, 2010, 2:25 pm

Joanne and I can not make it the weekend of the 5th either. I realize this is the weekend I voted for, but our daughter has something scheduled that weekend I just found out about. Sorry guys.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

post #28 of 80 Old Apr 10th, 2010, 6:41 am

I'll be in Suzhou, China from June 4 until June 12.

BTW: having ridden all through VA, NC, SC, TN and GA... I suggest in 2011 we go down and visit Saddleman!

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #29 of 80 Old Apr 10th, 2010, 8:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWphreak

BTW: having ridden all through VA, NC, SC, TN and GA... I suggest in 2011 we go down and visit Saddleman!
Not hijacking guys.

Gerard do you have a copy of the route that we took down to NC a few years ago. I would like to duplicate the portion from here to VA if you remember the way.

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS
post #30 of 80 Old Apr 10th, 2010, 9:36 am

Re: 2007 Ride Vermont attendees aka Ride of the Beemer Biker Dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
2007 "Ride Vermont", In attendance were: Kevin, Gerard, Bill, Guathama, Fred, Jim, Jerome, Joseph
(I think....)
And not necessarily in that order in the pic attached....
Hey I was there in 07 also.... don't forget the Southern Boy...

John
Hamden, CT
'04 K1200 LTC
"BLACK BUELAH" (She's a beauty)
post #31 of 80 Old Apr 10th, 2010, 1:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWphreak

That would be fun, lets plan a vacation week to ride south in a group. Maybe we can plan that for next year for a BBD outing or as an addition to our yearly trip. Gerald just tell me when and I am in If we do it after school end maybe TEXCHK can also go.
For this year dose not seen very good due to availability of our friend to ride with us as a group. Do we need to change the date for later or change the rout? TEXCHIK an I will be riding for a week in Nova Scotia and PEI the first week of July. We had a good 3 years of good riding I hate to see it end. We can have fun with a small group but it would be nice to see everyone. We haven't hear from Charlie or Puppy amarillo dog (Lzyellodog)
( Arthur we can hold off some time for you to heal. All we have discussed is route and time frame.) I agree. Arthur I hope your surgery goes well

BMWMOA # 130458

post #32 of 80 Old Apr 10th, 2010, 5:39 pm

Re: 2007 Ride Vermont attendees aka Ride of the Beemer Biker Dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawlinsjohn
Hey I was there in 07 also.... don't forget the Southern Boy...
mea culpa.
Who could forget?

Yuk, yuk, yuk....
post #33 of 80 Old Apr 10th, 2010, 5:53 pm

To Maine from the Deep South of Vermont, get off I-91 and onto Vermont rte 5 as soon as the timetable permits.

The attached MS Trips 'n Steets 2010 file is one of my favorite routes to get to Maine. 270 miles of mostly great motorcycle roads. You get Vt rte 5, NH 25C (watch out for moose), the better part of the Kancamagus, keep your eyes open for Bear Notch Rd turn off from the Kanc, over to Crawford Notch (check out the photo exhibit at the AMC center in Crawford Notch), then up to Milan, Errol, and Rangely. That'll get you good riding roads up to Spinedr's neck of the woods. He knows the roads up there. Spend the night in Rangley or instead, turn down rte 26 in Errol and head for Bethel. Rte 26 is a really nice road and then you can all stay at Spinedr's in Bethel.

If you can get to it on the return trip, 113 from Gilead Me to Fryeburg is nice; ride through North Chatham, NH, a NH town you can only get to from Maine.
Attached Files
File Type: est The Maine Idea.est (16.0 KB, 45 views)
post #34 of 80 Old Apr 11th, 2010, 3:30 pm

Hello all,
Sorry for the delayed response but thought I might end up with a conflict - I did. We head to Hilton Head the last week in May and I've got a convention going on in VA Beach that weekend. Didn't take long to get bored with retirement so we opened a couple income tax preparation offices. Looks like a great gig, work 4 months (Jan. - Apr.), take off 8.
I'll miss the ride as will Valerie. We had a truly memorable experience last year.
I've been riding off and on since Feb. depending on the weather. Feels great to be back out.
post #35 of 80 Old Apr 11th, 2010, 4:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedr
That would be fun, lets plan a vacation week to ride south in a group. Maybe we can plan that for next year for a BBD outing or as an addition to our yearly trip. Gerald just tell me when and I am in If we do it after school end maybe TEXCHK can also go.
For this year dose not seen very good due to availability of our friend to ride with us as a group. Do we need to change the date for later or change the rout? TEXCHIK an I will be riding for a week in Nova Scotia and PEI the first week of July. We had a good 3 years of good riding I hate to see it end. We can have fun with a small group but it would be nice to see everyone. We haven't hear from Charlie or Puppy amarillo dog (Lzyellodog)
( Arthur we can hold off some time for you to heal. All we have discussed is route and time frame.) I agree. Arthur I hope your surgery goes well
Hey TEXCHK and Spinedr,

Will probably not make this years BBD Ride. We have a big trip scheduled for July and I am teaching most weekends leading up to the July trip.

If you are looking for a great place to stay in Nova Scotia, I highly reccomend Stones Corner in Pitou. http://www.stonescornerbb.com/

The owners are super nice people you are 10 minutes from the PEI ferry. They will treat you like family. Tell them Jim and Kevin sent you. I sure they will remember us. The rooms are very nice too.

Sorry for the hijack.

Lzyellodog.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #36 of 80 Old Apr 14th, 2010, 1:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzyellodog
Hey TEXCHK and Spinedr,

Will probably not make this years BBD Ride. We have a big trip scheduled for July and I am teaching most weekends leading up to the July trip.

If you are looking for a great place to stay in Nova Scotia, I highly reccomend Stones Corner in Pitou. http://www.stonescornerbb.com/

The owners are super nice people you are 10 minutes from the PEI ferry. They will treat you like family. Tell them Jim and Kevin sent you. I sure they will remember us. The rooms are very nice too.

Sorry for the hijack.

Lzyellodog.
Hi Jim, Thank you for the recommendation We are going to visit friends that we meant two years ago while riding by Barharbor. We stoped in a ice cream place and they were driving on their bikes into the parking lot and we just started talking. We clicked and they endup staying with us at the house instead of camping. The four of us tour together through Maine and NH for a fewdays until they left to go back home in Halifax. We are going to see them and will stay with them. They are going to show us around in NS and PEI for a few days.I am exited about that trip .

Now BBDs we need to get exited about our trip in Maine and NH. Dave and I are getting together on Friday to plan the best roads. We need to know how many are coming and will let you know where to make reservations for the hotel for Saturday night. Now for Friday still open depending on starting point. Let us know CohesiveTechnology of your plans.

BMWMOA # 130458

post #37 of 80 Old Apr 14th, 2010, 4:44 pm Thread Starter

Very true.

I hate how life gets in the way of important recreation.

The last topic was a note to Arthur offering to postpone (or plan for a sooner date) the trip.

By my count we are down to four bikes. Is this correct?
post #38 of 80 Old Apr 16th, 2010, 7:35 am Thread Starter

cricket cricket.
post #39 of 80 Old Apr 16th, 2010, 9:20 am

It's official, wifey and I cannot make it on the weekend of June 5th . That lead I was working on came through and booked us so I'll be making some money that weekend ! I'm still happy!

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #40 of 80 Old Apr 16th, 2010, 2:10 pm

Cohesive,

Over a 3 hour breakfast in Auburn on this dreary, 40* and rainy day (with snowfall forecast), SpineDr and I conspired to come up with the following suggested route.

We duly note that based on the current rate of attrition for this event, that this route may be the riding equivalent of a tree falling deep in the woods without anyone around to hear it... In which case SpineDr and I will do a 2010 BBD memorial ride somewhere in the north country of course we'll reserve the right to alter the route with impunity and without a breath of forewarning...

Note that the route roughly presumes both a starting location and an ending location and involves no states which allow passing on double yellow lines. There is no brazen pride of authorship (unbrazen perhaps) here, we are merely passing on a reasonably informed route suggestion - yes, even beyond the horizon and over the border west of Maine where we occasionally explore when we're feeling adventurous (or lost).

Without further adieu, the suggestion is:

1. Start in Lincoln, NH (or Hanover if there's interest in doing a quick ride through the Dartmouth campus.

2. Take the Kangamangus over to Conway

3. Take Rt 16 north to Errol, NH

4. Follow Rt 16 north to Rangeley

5. Rt 16 north to Stratton

6. Rt 16 north to Kingfield (with a stop at Sugarloaf)

7.From Kingfield take Rt 14 to Phillips

8. From Philips take Rt 4 west to Oquossic

9. From Oquossic take Rt 17 south to Rumford

10. From Rumford, take Rt 2 south to Gilead

11. From Gilead take Rt 113 south to Fryeburg (unofficial end of ride)

2002 LT
2004 950 Adv
2006 RT
post #41 of 80 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 8:47 am Thread Starter

Very good. Lets go with this.

I am still confused with the number of attendees. It seems that the date does not work for most. By my count I see four bikes. Am I correct?

The last order of business to decide is if this weekend does indeed make sense. I will remain flexible.

To those who can not make it; is the an opportunity for you if we were to move it closer to now - say in late May? I would hate to omit people.
post #42 of 80 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 10:42 am

Looks like a great route. Some very nice riding. Did I say Spinedr knows the roads up here? I reckon dznam knows the roads too.

Small suggestion: if you hate Conway traffic and street lights (especially on a Saturday). Can be tediously slow though there on a busy day. On the other hand if you're ready for lunch Conway has lots of options. We often have our lunch break in Lincoln at the west end of the Kanc, so are all fed and gassed up and are happy to bypass Conway. One way to bypass Conway is to pick up Bear Notch Road off the Kancamagus. You miss the last part of the Kanc but that section is pretty flat and straight anyway. The Bear Notch Road bypass can be seen in the Streets n' Trips file attached in post #33 in this thread.

There is also another way to bypass Conway a little further east on the Kanc, there you'd take Passaconnaway Road off the Kanc. That route is attached here. Both these bypass option are easy to miss so you'll want to be watching your gps as you approach the turnoff or you'll miss it.

Quote:
.....Without further adieu, the suggestion is:

1. Start in Lincoln, NH (or Hanover if there's interest in doing a quick ride through the Dartmouth campus.

2. Take the Kangamangus over to Conway

3. Take Rt 16 north to Errol, NH

4. Follow Rt 16 north to Rangeley

5. Rt 16 north to Stratton

6. Rt 16 north to Kingfield (with a stop at Sugarloaf)

7.From Kingfield take Rt 14 to Phillips

8. From Philips take Rt 4 west to Oquossic

9. From Oquossic take Rt 17 south to Rumford

10. From Rumford, take Rt 2 south to Gilead

11. From Gilead take Rt 113 south to Fryeburg (unofficial end of ride)
Attached Files
File Type: est The_Maine_Idea[2].est (16.0 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by CharlieVT; Apr 19th, 2010 at 10:58 am.
post #43 of 80 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 5:10 pm

Good suggestions by CharlieVT - we figured if we got there around lunch time, it might be a good spot to grab a bite. We were thinking that Conway would be a little less crowded before school got out, but traffic is always a risk in Conway... probably an audible depending on traffic west of Conway and time of day...

2002 LT
2004 950 Adv
2006 RT
post #44 of 80 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 7:49 am Thread Starter

OK. I vote we press on without changes to the schedule as no one voiced their desire to join on another weekend.

The weekend of June 5th is it and Lincoln NH is our starting gate.

I will look for hotels.

Final head count stands at four to five bikes.

For anyone starting from the south, we can ride up together.

Any objections? If not we can dial this in.
post #45 of 80 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 12:05 pm

I saw the poll for what route and week end but not sure if there was another one for attendance. Count me in! The trip route looks very good and there are ample place to stay for the night. I am not sure if the stop at Sugarloaf is for the night? I bet the rates would be a bit less that time of year. The trip sounds great any way, looking forward to it.

Dave Oehler
2005 LT Dark Graphite - "K-Ship"

BMW-MOA 121422

post #46 of 80 Old Apr 24th, 2010, 2:07 pm Thread Starter

Folks, I am afraid the Joan and I must bail on this years BBD trip altogether. I am sorry.

As for the planning, I can still contribute to planning if it makes sense.

We are looking forward to riding opportunities this year with all of you. And hopefully get together at the CCR.

Again, I hope I didn't let anyone down. There is still six weeks to plan a terrific weekend.

Ride safe.

David
post #47 of 80 Old Apr 27th, 2010, 6:35 pm Thread Starter

bump

I haven't heard chatter from anyone regarding my withdraw from this weekend. I wanted to make sure that someone can fill in as I don't want to let anyone down.

As I mentioned, I can still find accomodations for those who do attend if you wish.

So if this is to be the plan, please let me hear from the group who are going.

Again, I am very sorry that we will miss this one.
post #48 of 80 Old Apr 28th, 2010, 9:06 am

Quote:
bump

I haven't heard chatter from anyone regarding my withdraw from this weekend. I wanted to make sure that someone can fill in as I don't want to let anyone down.

As I mentioned, I can still find accomodations for those who do attend if you wish.

So if this is to be the plan, please let me hear from the group who are going.

Again, I am very sorry that we will miss this one.

Please don't feel bad as I am the king of missing out on rides I have said I would probably attend. I am sure someone will step up to the plate to help this ride materialize OR schedule for a different weekend?
post #49 of 80 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 9:22 am

As it turns out, my wife and I CAN attend! Our lead that booked us for the 5th fell through so that opened up that weekend! Let me know what's going on and we'll be there!

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #50 of 80 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 11:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman10
As it turns out, my wife and I CAN attend! Our lead that booked us for the 5th fell through so that opened up that weekend! Let me know what's going on and we'll be there!
Great!! I know Dave, My wife on her HD, Razman and SO, Dave Oehler from PA and me are going so far. Dave and I will run the rout to check timing for stops, lunch, sleep but we think we can make it to Rumford (my town) and stay the night there. There is a good restaurant in town with excellent food and inexpensive but good motel. I can be the driver for dinner and you can enjoy spirits so you get safe to hotel. I have a Tahoe that holds 6 + me. So far we have 5 bikes and 6 in the group. I can make 2 or 3 trips if needed, it is not far to the Bistro.
If others please add your name so we know who you are. Charlie, SO and spiros are you coming? I hope so

Dave Z
Razman + SO
Dave Oehler from PA
spinedr
Texchik

BMWMOA # 130458

Last edited by spinedr; Apr 30th, 2010 at 11:40 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in