Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Outside Brunswick, ME, USA
Re: The 2010 BBD Ride New England - Course Planning
Over a 3 hour breakfast in Auburn on this dreary, 40* and rainy day (with snowfall forecast), SpineDr and I conspired to come up with the following suggested route.
We duly note that based on the current rate of attrition for this event, that this route may be the riding equivalent of a tree falling deep in the woods without anyone around to hear it... In which case SpineDr and I will do a 2010 BBD memorial ride somewhere in the north country of course we'll reserve the right to alter the route with impunity and without a breath of forewarning...
Note that the route roughly presumes both a starting location and an ending location and involves no states which allow passing on double yellow lines. There is no brazen pride of authorship (unbrazen perhaps) here, we are merely passing on a reasonably informed route suggestion - yes, even beyond the horizon and over the border west of Maine where we occasionally explore when we're feeling adventurous (or lost).
Without further adieu, the suggestion is:
1. Start in Lincoln, NH (or Hanover if there's interest in doing a quick ride through the Dartmouth campus.
2. Take the Kangamangus over to Conway
3. Take Rt 16 north to Errol, NH
4. Follow Rt 16 north to Rangeley
5. Rt 16 north to Stratton
6. Rt 16 north to Kingfield (with a stop at Sugarloaf)
7.From Kingfield take Rt 14 to Phillips
8. From Philips take Rt 4 west to Oquossic
9. From Oquossic take Rt 17 south to Rumford
10. From Rumford, take Rt 2 south to Gilead
11. From Gilead take Rt 113 south to Fryeburg (unofficial end of ride)
2004 950 Adv
Total Cylinder Count: 102