New Dealer in NJ - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jan 1st, 2010, 8:39 am Thread Starter

New Dealer in NJ

Bergen County Harley Davidson is now an authorized BMW Sales & Service Ctr. Just got an email update, Bergen is my Harley dealer of choice. I may take a ride over tomorrow to see their setup and will post a report. I'm still a loyal customer of Cross Country BMW in Metuchen, NJ.

To All a Healthy & Happy New Year!

'07 FLHTCU-POSE .......Black
'02 K1200LT-E ...........Titan Silver-Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jan 1st, 2010, 9:50 am

Re: New Dealer in NJ

Thanks
I'll be interested in thier capabilties and the qualification of thier mechanics. Wonder if they are BMW trained and have the diagnostics equip.
I have to have some work done and wonder what your experience with Cross Country is?
Bob

Bob
2003 K1200LT Black
Rockaway, NJ
post #3 of 14 Old Jan 1st, 2010, 3:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter36
Thanks
I'll be interested in thier capabilties and the qualification of thier mechanics. Wonder if they are BMW trained and have the diagnostics equip.
I have to have some work done and wonder what your experience with Cross Country is?
Bob
Cross

country is tops for Sales & Service IMO. Bergen is a top notch HD dealer, with very knowledgable tech's. Knowing their operation, I would think they would have all factory trained techs on board. I plan on stopping by next weekend to check thingts out.

post #4 of 14 Old Jan 4th, 2010, 2:26 pm Thread Starter

1st Report

Visited Bergen this past Saturday. They have about 6 bikes on the floor and a small area devoted to clothing. The one sales person / Mgr is a nice young woman who was previously employed at the Manhattan (factory) Store. They also have one Master Certified Technician, who i believe also came from Manhattan..

post #5 of 14 Old Jan 4th, 2010, 7:23 pm

In order to be a BMW authorized dealer, the shop has to have a trained/certified mechanic and diagnostic equipment - among other requirements. Whether a freshly trained tech (or a single NYC transplant) is better than a long-time team, is a matter of opinion.

Then again, I cannot make myself walk into an HD dealership... Sorry, John...
What if my bike gets louder after a visit? Bad exhaust valve or some contagion in the HD service bay?

I am quite disappointed that the Max BMW deal fell through. Now, that would be a nice place to have had....

Of course, the very fact that there is a BMW/HD combined dealership just proves what we really hate to know and/or acknowledge: that owning BMW bikes is just as much of a snobby "lifestyle" trait as owning Harley-Davidson products.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rdwalker; Jan 4th, 2010 at 7:31 pm.
post #6 of 14 Old Jan 4th, 2010, 8:55 pm Thread Starter

Its sad that BMW has flip flopped over the years as to dealer requirements. There was a time they made multiple brand dealers completely seperate the brands, not even in the same building. Seems those days are long gone. I and others have always said that BMW needs to expand their dealer coverage. There were times when on vacation that the nearest dealer would be 300 miles away. Granted, most of our Beemers are reliable, but what if? I'd hate to be stuck and find the nearest dealer is more that an hour away.

Oh, and BTW, BMW riders are just as snobby, if not more so than HD riders IMHO. To most Harley riders its about the ride, not what you ride. To each his own so to speak.

post #7 of 14 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 6:28 am

"I am quite disappointed that the Max BMW deal fell through. Now, that would be a nice place to have had...."

Robert,
What was the deal with Max? I hadn't heard about this.
Bob

Bob
2003 K1200LT Black
Rockaway, NJ
post #8 of 14 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 8:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk12lt
Its sad that BMW has flip flopped over the years as to dealer requirements. There was a time they made multiple brand dealers completely seperate the brands, not even in the same building. Seems those days are long gone. I and others have always said that BMW needs to expand their dealer coverage. There were times when on vacation that the nearest dealer would be 300 miles away. Granted, most of our Beemers are reliable, but what if? I'd hate to be stuck and find the nearest dealer is more that an hour away.

Oh, and BTW, BMW riders are just as snobby, if not more so than HD riders IMHO. To most Harley riders its about the ride, not what you ride. To each his own so to speak.
Well I don't know about that snobby part. When I bought my K1200LT quite a few members of my Blue Knights Chapter asked "But why didn't you buy a Harley?" or "We'd look better as a group if we were all on Harlies." Then I went to the BK Fall Southern Regional Conference and was asked "But how come you don't ride a Harley?" But I did have a member on his Road Glide want me to go to the local BMW shop in Greenville with him to look around because he was considering a LT purchase!

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 8:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6
"We'd look better as a group if we were all on Harlies."
I guess if I bought my bike to ride in a parade, I would would want to fit in, however I bought my bike because I like to ride and ride hard. I rode in a couple of bike rallies and hated it. It was more dangerous than riding alone. Too much stop and go, speed up and slow down. It was not enjoyable for me.

I am happy to see that BMW is expanding their dealer network. More choices usually mean better prices for the consumer. I want to be able to shop around when I buy my next LT.

Last edited by Vince_nj1; Jan 5th, 2010 at 10:05 am.
post #10 of 14 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 9:58 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6
Well I don't know about that snobby part. When I bought my K1200LT quite a few members of my Blue Knights Chapter asked "But why didn't you buy a Harley?" or "We'd look better as a group if we were all on Harlies." Then I went to the BK Fall Southern Regional Conference and was asked "But how come you don't ride a Harley?" But I did have a member on his Road Glide want me to go to the local BMW shop in Greenville with him to look around because he was considering a LT purchase!
If you've ever been to a BMW club meeting you would know what I mean.

post #11 of 14 Old Jan 12th, 2010, 7:13 pm

Hi my name is Tony, and I am the BMW service manager at Bergen County BMW Motorcycles. I have been riding, racing, modifying, and repairing, off road motorcycles since I was 8 years old. In mid December we proudly became a BMW motorcycle dealer. I am BMW certified tech and will soon have my master tech status, and I will be attending S1000RR, Moss, and the new DOHC Boxer training at the end of the month at the Woodcliff Lake training facility. We are up to date with the diagnostic equipment and tools, and we are currently under construction in our service dept building new offices. Our BMW service repair will be performed upstairs in the new part of the building. We have hired a BMW master tech who worked for corporate in the repair facility for 5 years and he was also on the Boxer cup team and toured the world. He is also a certified welder and worked for HRC (Honda Racing Corp) on their road race team. We have also hired a Service Advisor and saleswoman whom both worked for BMW Manhattan and have years of motorcycle experience. Come check out our facility, we are growing every day. My GM, our BMW staff members, and I will be honored to me everyone of you in our exciting new venture. We just received our demo S1000RR today and is currently on display in our showroom. Thank you and I am looking forward to riding with all of you on our future group rides. Anthony Giaguzzi BMW Service Manager Bergen County BMW motorcycles
post #12 of 14 Old Jan 13th, 2010, 5:36 am

Hey Tony,
Thanks for introducing yourself and the shop. I plan to stop by and check you guys out. Need to have some work done and your shop is quite a bit closer than metuchen, for me.
There are a bunch of us that used to be serviced by the former Garden State BMW that really have no "home" anymore. So its nice to see you guys getting into the BMW business. BTW, I rented an ultra classic in San Antonio last year. Liked it a lot but not ready to put one in my garage.

Bob

Bob
2003 K1200LT Black
Rockaway, NJ
post #13 of 14 Old Jan 13th, 2010, 9:34 am

Tony,
Do me a favor and get up here to Connecticut and take over for Gengras before they kill the brand off all together on us!!

Welcome aboard!

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #14 of 14 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 11:50 am

Kev, we are lucky here in CT... we have a number of dealers to choose from and at least one that stocks parts and can SERVICE BMWs!

BTW you'll have a dealer right in town in SLC.

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in