Vermont - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 18th, 2009, 5:52 pm Thread Starter
SEG

Vermont

I posted below in the LT forum and thought that I'd repeat it here. We're considering leaving NYC for southern VT, next year; we're taking a close look at the Dorset/Manchester, VT area. If there's anyone in this area, I'd appreciate a PM. I've got a few questions. At least there is a BMW dealer within about an hour's ride, MAX BMW in Troy, NY. Thanks for the help.
Scott

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 19th, 2009, 10:57 am

Re: Vermont

Is this just a trip or a permanent move?
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 19th, 2009, 8:50 pm

I live near Burlington (2 hrs north) but know the Manchester area reasonably well.

Send me a PM or call me 802 598-8712.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 4:36 pm Thread Starter
SEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddo50
Is this just a trip or a permanent move?
This would be a permanent move. A big change for the wife who has never lived outside of Manhattan, other than her 4 years at Cornell. For the first time, she'll have to get a DL and learn to drive. No chance of her ever riding anything more than scooter. However she's a great passenger; she's gone across the country with me. We're excited at the prospects of a possible move to the Dorset, VT area. It's beautiful, not too far for her to visit with the family and friends in NYC. Of course I'll need to find work as I start a second career. Thanks for the responses.
Scott

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 24th, 2009, 9:22 am

Welcome to New England.. Hopefully in the spring someone will hold another tech session. Not to bad a ride for you - great chance to meet some others riders. Charlie VT has been the host of the BBD (Beemer Biker Dudes) ride through Vermont - great weekend and great group of people.
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 26th, 2009, 3:36 pm

I live in tax-free New Hampshire - transplanted from Philadelphia (on purpose). There is no better place in the country to live IMHO. Manchester VT is beautiful and Vermonters are great people.

You will need to invest in Birkenstocks and maple syrup.

The biggest problem I had was learning to exhale long enough to slow my pulse.

BTW: New England has the best roads for biking anywhere.
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 28th, 2009, 7:19 am Thread Starter
SEG

I suggested NH to the wife because of the tax advantages, but she has taken a liking to Dorset and Manchester, VT and won't consider even other areas in VT. VT is not a done deal yet, she's still trying to envision of living someplace other than Manhattan, and I've got some work issues to work out. We're taking another trip to VT this weekend, seeing homes and a few function to attend. We'll probably continue visiting the area through the winter. I don't believe that I'd ever see my wife in a pair of Birkenstocks, but she'll gladly take the maple syrup. The slower pace, she'll learn to appreciate; I'm already ready for that. We're considering a move to VT, sometime next year pending all my work stuff working out. I agree that there are great roads to ride in VT. Thanks again for the replies.
Scott

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
post #8 of 8 Old Oct 28th, 2009, 8:56 am

Scott,

I lived in NH for three years prior to moving to NY. I really liked living in NH and can easily envision moving back there some day. VT and NH are very different politically so if you are sensitive to that type of thing you may want to look into it some more. NH has "Live Free of Die" on their license plates...and they mean it. Any state that put the legislature salary of $100 per year into their constitution is OK by me.

One other thing to consider for your wife. Other than rush hour it is very easy to get into Boston from NH. That may be good for a "city girl".

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in