Oct 24th tech session survery - BMW Luxury Touring Community
View Poll Results: What are you planning for the tech session on the 24?
I am coming to watch, learn, and eat. 10 66.67%
Some is coming with me. (spouse, sig. other) 4 26.67%
I plan on doing a BMW Service (crankcase oil and filter) 1 6.67%
I plan on doing a BMW Inspection (tupperware removal, valves, etc.) 0 0%
I plan on doing an Annual Service (brake and clutch fluids) 1 6.67%
I am not planning on coming but want to vote in this poll. 2 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2009, 9:16 am Thread Starter

Oct 24th tech session survery

Trying to help get a handle on who's coming and for what to BigGeo's tech session in Princeton, MA.

If you plan on coming please answer survey questions.
PLEASE NOTE: you should answer all applicable options.
Thanks.

BMW Service: done every 6K miles: Crankcase oil and filter change.

BMW Inspection: done every 12K miles: Crankcase oil and filter, gas filter, air filter, valve check and adjust if needed, tranny oil change, final drive oil change, renew sparkplugs.
(If you are planning of doing a 12K interval "Inspection", I suggest tackling that first during the tech session because this requires the removal of the "tupperware" and gas tank. If you are going to the trouble of this, plan on doing gas filter, air filter, valves, and sparkplugs. I find it much easier to do coolant change with the gas tank off, and almost impossible to do with the gas tank on, so if you are planning on coolant change, plan accordingly.)

BMW Annual Service: Flush brake and clutch circuits. Renew coolant at least every 2 years.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Oct 11th, 2009 at 9:25 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2009, 9:39 am

Re: Oct 24th tech session survery

As of right now, I won't need any service done on my bike, but I am more than willing to help others.

Wife may or may not come with me, depends on the weather, she is more of a fair weather rider. But in the survey I listed that someone would be coming with me just in case.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2009, 5:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'll need to change spark plugs. Just changed oils. Questions about fuel mileage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2009, 11:25 am

I will bring the camera and document the event. I will post all the pics on my smugmug page for all.

I am coming more for moral support than anything else.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #5 of 11 Old Oct 13th, 2009, 8:40 am

I didn't vote because what I need done doesn't really fit into any of the categories above; I'd love some help in finding the source of a vacuum leak on my bike. Any takers?

When cold, she takes more than a few seconds to actually turn over.

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 13th, 2009, 9:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman10
I didn't vote because what I need done doesn't really fit into any of the categories above; I'd love some help in finding the source of a vacuum leak on my bike. Any takers?

With the crew that is coming - I'm certain we will find the vacuum leak and probably much more
See you in a bit.
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 14th, 2009, 5:40 am Thread Starter

Quote:

Are you attributing the slow turn over when cold to a vacum leak, or are you describing two different problems?
What symptoms make you think you have a vacum leak?
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 15th, 2009, 7:50 am

I had brought the LT to the dealer earlier in the year for the sputtering / backfiring issue I had (See original thread here);as I wanted to catch the tail end of my warranty. The mechanic at the dealer pointed out the vacuum leak to me. I originally thought he was full of spit, figuring he was playing stealer at that point, but I've heard it myself since. He mentioned that it could be the cause of the long cranking before turning over.

From suggestions on the original thread, it seems that the vacuum leak may be the cause of all/most of my woes. Everything started at pretty much the same time.

I figure that'll be my starting point. If fixing the vacuum leak doesn't do the trick, I'll pick up an O2 sensor and replace it (this I can do myself).

Ray "Razman"

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 15th, 2009, 9:04 am Thread Starter

Assuming I make it on the 24th, I'll bring a bottle of propane and a hose attachment for sniffing out a possible leak. Removal of a bunch of left side tupperware may be required if a leak isn't found under the seats.
I'll also try to bring a GS911 to see if any code faults show up. I don't recall if the O2 sensor will show a fault.

Quote:
I had brought the LT to the dealer earlier in the year for the sputtering / backfiring issue I had (See original thread here);as I wanted to catch the tail end of my warranty. The mechanic at the dealer pointed out the vacuum leak to me. I originally thought he was full of spit, figuring he was playing stealer at that point, but I've heard it myself since. He mentioned that it could be the cause of the long cranking before turning over.

From suggestions on the original thread, it seems that the vacuum leak may be the cause of all/most of my woes. Everything started at pretty much the same time.

I figure that'll be my starting point. If fixing the vacuum leak doesn't do the trick, I'll pick up an O2 sensor and replace it (this I can do myself).
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 15th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Assuming I make it on the 24th, I'll bring a bottle of propane and a hose attachment for sniffing out a possible leak. Removal of a bunch of left side tupperware may be required if a leak isn't found under the seats.
I'll also try to bring a GS911 to see if any code faults show up. I don't recall if the O2 sensor will show a fault.
IIRC, at one of Grif's tech sessions, Loansumrider's LT wuz put under the GS911 and it did show an O2 sensor fault. At the least, he made a mad dash, via Grif's La Trucka, to the O'Reilly shoppe and bought a replacement sensor, and Grif installed it. What I don't remember for sure is if the GS911 also cleared the fault later. One or the other of those guyz oughta be on here shortly.
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 16th, 2009, 8:02 am

Thanks Curtis!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT

Ray "Razman"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in