Final Drive tech session - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Sep 26th, 2009, 6:02 am Thread Starter

Final Drive tech session

Starting a new thread to try an avoid confusion with BigGeo's tech session coming up in Oct.

Quote pulled from another post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doios
Sounds good to me... George, Plan on me being at your tech session on the 24th... and Charlie, When do you plan on the Final drive session? Ill get the parts needed... The drive failed on me 1/2 way through Illinois heading west few months ago (so this drive will be a good specimen for a rebuild) I ended up having to stay in Iowa for an extra week waiting on a replacement FD to get me home. I would love to have a spare on the shelf in case myself or anyone get stranded and in need
Final drive tech session: There is a video about final drive rebuilding. I'd change a couple of minor things if I were making the video today, but it is still technique correct.
For those who'd like to hang around and see one done in the little shop of horrors, well, we'll pick a weekend. We still have some nice riding ahead of us so we don't have to wait until winter. Might give those interested an excuse to ride into the deep south of Vermont. But I am open to doing it anytime. I reckon a weekend would be best for most folks. Can't conflict with Columbus Day weekend, nor the tech session on the 24th. Can't conflict with Thanksgiving, etc. Otherwise I'll leave it to those interested in coming to suggest when.

I have a drive off a R1200RT coming for rebuild, if the tech session isn't too far off we could do that one too.

doios, assuming you had a classic crownwheel bearing failure (rough ride, oil leak onto brake and tire) you will need a crown wheel bearing and seal. I get my stuff from Max BMW online parts. Quick shipping, usually in stock, AND.... M&Ms. (Max Stratton told me he gets more email about those M&M than any other subject). You will probably also need shims but you can't buy 'em in advance because you don't know what you'll need. If we are lucky, I'll have what is needed in my inventory, but if not we'll have to order shims. That can prevent us from doing a complete rebuild in one session. But once the needed shim thickness is determined, all you have to do is get the shims and bolt the drive cover on.

I imagine there'll only be a couple of folks interested in this, so those interested can suggest dates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Sep 26th, 2009, 7:05 am

Re: Final Drive tech session

I never thought I was into voyeurism , but I'd love to come up and watch !

Any weekend in November is good for me.

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #3 of 29 Old Sep 26th, 2009, 7:22 am

Hey charlie, I will get the parts ordered... anytime late Oct or early Nov works for me

Doug

post #4 of 29 Old Sep 26th, 2009, 8:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

Give me enough notice and if you want to do more than 1,I can bring several.
A good excuse for a LD ride. Not that I really need one.

Dan Martin
Houston,Tx
post #5 of 29 Old Sep 26th, 2009, 11:01 am

Charlie,

Would you like to video tape the whole procedure? I could bring a camcorder and record it. Maybe make those changes you were referring to. Just a thought.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 29 Old Sep 26th, 2009, 1:19 pm

Charlie, I would be very interested in attending.. Hope all is well..

05 LT (ocean blue) "Jenny"
post #7 of 29 Old Sep 26th, 2009, 1:27 pm

Re: Final Drive tech session VERMONT

I'l be working on CCR 2010 up at the Killington Grand Hotel the weekend of October 23/24, if you are in the area... come by and give me the benefit of local knowledge as we plan for next fall. If you aren't doing the rear drive session that weekend.

EXCELSIOR !!!

----- Barrett
Free at last!

Austin & Crystal Beach TX, Drummond, WI

CCRs - Hot Springs '01, Santa Fe '02, Breckenridge '04, Jackson '05, Braselton '06, Osage Beach '07, Midway '08, Black Hills '09, Killington '10, Boise '11, Duluth '12, Bend '13, Chattanooga in '14, and Coeur d'Alene in 2015.
post #8 of 29 Old Sep 26th, 2009, 4:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Starting a new thread to try an avoid confusion with BigGeo's tech session coming up in Oct.

Quote pulled from another post:

Final drive tech session: There is a video about final drive rebuilding. I'd change a couple of minor things if I were making the video today, but it is still technique correct.
For those who'd like to hang around and see one done in the little shop of horrors, well, we'll pick a weekend. We still have some nice riding ahead of us so we don't have to wait until winter. Might give those interested an excuse to ride into the deep south of Vermont. But I am open to doing it anytime. I reckon a weekend would be best for most folks. Can't conflict with Columbus Day weekend, nor the tech session on the 24th. Can't conflict with Thanksgiving, etc. Otherwise I'll leave it to those interested in coming to suggest when.

I have a drive off a R1200RT coming for rebuild, if the tech session isn't too far off we could do that one too.

doios, assuming you had a classic crownwheel bearing failure (rough ride, oil leak onto brake and tire) you will need a crown wheel bearing and seal. I get my stuff from Max BMW online parts. Quick shipping, usually in stock, AND.... M&Ms. (Max Stratton told me he gets more email about those M&M than any other subject). You will probably also need shims but you can't buy 'em in advance because you don't know what you'll need. If we are lucky, I'll have what is needed in my inventory, but if not we'll have to order shims. That can prevent us from doing a complete rebuild in one session. But once the needed shim thickness is determined, all you have to do is get the shims and bolt the drive cover on.

I imagine there'll only be a couple of folks interested in this, so those interested can suggest dates.
Curt,
Need another to work on? I still have the failed on in my garage, let me know and I'll ship it to ya....

Jeff Davis
San Diego, CA
'00 Pacific Blue AKA BluBlur
'08 WR250F
'07 TTR125L (for the kid)
post #9 of 29 Old Sep 28th, 2009, 5:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Hey charlie, I will get the parts ordered... anytime late Oct or early Nov works for me

Doug
Okay, I put Sat, 31 Oct on my sched for final drive tech session.
We'll do Doug's drive.
Dan, if you make it up here, we'll do what ever drives you bring and give to the long distance award!
No video, been there done that. I rather not have cameras. Just a hands on/viewing experience for those who want to feel more comfortable with the innards of a final drive.
post #10 of 29 Old Sep 28th, 2009, 6:20 pm

Sounds great. Ill order the parts... should we all be in out halloween costumes? ill come as a cool motorcycle rider... Ill PM you for your address
post #11 of 29 Old Sep 29th, 2009, 10:27 am Thread Starter

Re: Final Drive tech session Date and Time

Sat, 31 Oct 9AM
If you are interested in coming and don't know the address, PM me and I'll give you the directions.
post #12 of 29 Old Oct 8th, 2009, 11:37 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasub
Curt,
Need another to work on? I still have the failed on in my garage, let me know and I'll ship it to ya....
Hiya Jeff,

We don't "need" another drive to work on but if you want it rebuilt we'll get it done. Cost to you would be parts and shipping back to you. Actually I prefer you buy a shipping label for the return trip so I can just put it back in the box and slap on the return shipping label.

If it is a classic crownwheel failure parts are generally bearing, seal, and one or two shims.
$75 bearing + $30 seal + $13 shim or two. I ususally add a few buck for shop rags and a can of spray cleaner. I'll also press in new pivot bearings if needed.

If you do decide to send the drive just PM me and I'll give you a shipping address.
post #13 of 29 Old Oct 8th, 2009, 12:45 pm

Quote:
Hiya Jeff,

We don't "need" another drive to work on but if you want it rebuilt we'll get it done. Cost to you would be parts and shipping back to you. Actually I prefer you buy a shipping label for the return trip so I can just put it back in the box and slap on the return shipping label.

If it is a classic crownwheel failure parts are generally bearing, seal, and one or two shims.
$75 bearing + $30 seal + $13 shim or two. I ususally add a few buck for shop rags and a can of spray cleaner. I'll also press in new pivot bearings if needed.

If you do decide to send the drive just PM me and I'll give you a shipping address.
Thanks Curtis, the replacement is getting close to 100K on it, figured I should get a standby ready. You forgot to add an allowance for your favorite beverage as well. Pm Sent.

Jeff Davis
San Diego, CA
'00 Pacific Blue AKA BluBlur
'08 WR250F
'07 TTR125L (for the kid)
post #14 of 29 Old Oct 8th, 2009, 6:27 pm

FYI... parts are ordered. anyone else riding up from CT? If so, lets all meet somewhere north of Hartford
post #15 of 29 Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 11:04 am Thread Starter

Reaffirming final drive tech session 31 Oct

We are still planning on a final drive tech session in Vermont on the 31st.
This is a rain or shine event, and my little shop of horrors can be heated in case we have one of those 20 degree mornings we've had recently.

Dave (Saddleman) is planning on coming up from NC.
doios is bringing a drive, and I may have a couple of more drives to get into, one from TX and one from CA.

We plan on a 9 AM start.
No food on site, we'll go out to lunch or send someone to the Subway.

If you plan on coming and need directions, PM me.
post #16 of 29 Old Oct 27th, 2009, 4:56 am Thread Starter

Saturdays tech session is coming up this weekend.

I think there are 3 people attending and I know of two drives (one being shipping in, the other local delivery).

This is a good sized group for the session given the small size of my shop. However, we could accomodate a couple of more folks and a couple of more drives. If anyone wants a preemptive rebuild or just an "open and inspect" of their drive we could get that done. The drive would have to come to the session already removed from the bike.

Start time is 9 AM.
post #17 of 29 Old Oct 27th, 2009, 8:59 am

I would have liked to come up, but it's pheasant season right now, and Saturdays are precious.....
I AM looking forward to the video however! Hope you have some sweet weather.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #18 of 29 Old Oct 27th, 2009, 9:35 am

Hey, Curtis - sent ya a PM. It bounced back cuz your PM inbox is max'd. Scream when you finish with the eraser!!!
post #19 of 29 Old Oct 27th, 2009, 10:27 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Curtis - sent ya a PM. It bounced back cuz your PM inbox is max'd. Scream when you finish with the eraser!!!
Done!
Many old msgs have been trashed.
Try again Please!
post #20 of 29 Old Oct 30th, 2009, 4:07 pm

Ill be there at 0900... anyone else going? Wondering how many donuts to get... Im riding up from the CT shoreline and will be leaving around 0630 with an estimate of 2 hrs ride... i hope the weather holds
post #21 of 29 Old Oct 30th, 2009, 7:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Ill be there at 0900... anyone else going? Wondering how many donuts to get... Im riding up from the CT shoreline and will be leaving around 0630 with an estimate of 2 hrs ride... i hope the weather holds
Dave (saddleman) is here from NC.
Not sure who else is planning on coming.
Weather will hold until Sat evening, I promise!
post #22 of 29 Old Oct 30th, 2009, 7:23 pm

I still plan on being there, about a two hour ride for me.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

post #23 of 29 Old Oct 31st, 2009, 3:37 pm

A big thank you to Curtis for hosting this session. After seeing the rebuild (well, most of it), it is much less intimidating. I think I may even be able to do it myself!!

I won't be worrying so much about a failure anymore.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

post #24 of 29 Old Oct 31st, 2009, 10:20 pm

Sorry I missed it guys. I am still trying to build a business and I worked a show today.
post #25 of 29 Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 8:07 am

Me too... I would have loved to be there, but being Halloween, I had daddy duties; something I wouldn't miss for the world!!!

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #26 of 29 Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 8:52 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Sorry for the late post. I got back yesterday at 2:30 pm. I can,t thank Curtis & Hiromi enough for there hospitality. The knowledge I learned is priceless. The more I learn about my bike the more I want to keep it.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #27 of 29 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 5:30 am

Nice Avatar saddleman
post #28 of 29 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 5:47 am Thread Starter

Thanks to all who showed up for the FD tech session.
I'm not sure you'd call the session a success, after all.... we took a couple of drives apart, couldn't put 'em back together, and the parts are lying around in my shop.
post #29 of 29 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 3:52 pm

Quote:
Thanks to all who showed up for the FD tech session.
I'm not sure you'd call the session a success, after all.... we took a couple of drives apart, couldn't put 'em back together, and the parts are lying around in my shop.

I'd call it a success, at least from my own perspective. I now know what the inside of the final drive looks like, and know how to fix the most common failure in the final drive.

I also now know how to get Curtis' garage if I ever need to fix my own final drive and get stuck

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in