Starting a new thread to try an avoid confusion with BigGeo's tech session coming up in Oct.
Quote pulled from another post:
Originally Posted by doios
Sounds good to me... George, Plan on me being at your tech session on the 24th... and Charlie, When do you plan on the Final drive session? Ill get the parts needed... The drive failed on me 1/2 way through Illinois heading west few months ago (so this drive will be a good specimen for a rebuild) I ended up having to stay in Iowa for an extra week waiting on a replacement FD to get me home. I would love to have a spare on the shelf in case myself or anyone get stranded and in need
Final drive tech session: There is a video about final drive rebuilding. I'd change a couple of minor things if I were making the video today, but it is still technique correct.
For those who'd like to hang around and see one done in the little shop of horrors, well, we'll pick a weekend. We still have some nice riding ahead of us so we don't have to wait until winter. Might give those interested an excuse to ride into the deep south of Vermont. But I am open to doing it anytime. I reckon a weekend would be best for most folks. Can't conflict with Columbus Day weekend, nor the tech session on the 24th. Can't conflict with Thanksgiving, etc. Otherwise I'll leave it to those interested in coming to suggest when.
I have a drive off a R1200RT coming for rebuild, if the tech session isn't too far off we could do that one too.
doios, assuming you had a classic crownwheel bearing failure (rough ride, oil leak onto brake and tire) you will need a crown wheel bearing and seal. I get my stuff from Max BMW online parts. Quick shipping, usually in stock, AND.... M&Ms. (Max Stratton told me he gets more email about those M&M than any other subject). You will probably also need shims but you can't buy 'em in advance because you don't know what you'll need. If we are lucky, I'll have what is needed in my inventory, but if not we'll have to order shims. That can prevent us from doing a complete rebuild in one session. But once the needed shim thickness is determined, all you have to do is get the shims and bolt the drive cover on.
I imagine there'll only be a couple of folks interested in this, so those interested can suggest dates.