Update on my LT for the BBD group - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jun 21st, 2009, 10:05 am Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Update on my LT for the BBD group

After working on my bike for 2 weeks I thought I had it fixed. I replaced the O2 sensor the fuel pressure was fluctuating between 65 & 80lbs so I replaced the regulator. It now has a steady 50lbs. I also had a blown front header tube gasket & two exhaust cracks. I had the exhaust cracks welded & installed 4 new copper o-rings. I changed the oil & installed another set of new spark plugs.

Off to the dealer I went to get the fault codes read. It ran good for about five miles. Then started running worse than ever. 45 miles later with a couple of fouled spark plugs & barley running I got to the dealer. I think the only way I made it home from the lodge at Jay Vt was because when I installed a new set of plugs I gaped them at .020 to help prevent fouling.

Anyway the bike has been at the dealer for a week and they have yet to find the problem.
It is a electrical problem is all I know.

They did give me a 2008 Triumph 1050 Tiger to ride until my bike is fixed. Plenty of power but no wind protection.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jun 21st, 2009, 12:34 pm

Re: Update on my LT for the BBD group

Another couple of weeks and the dealer may find the time to look at it.

Sorry to hear of your difficulties, What kind of foul is on the plugs ?

Are they fuel or oil fouled ?

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #3 of 7 Old Jun 21st, 2009, 2:08 pm

Unhappy Re: Update on my LT for the BBD group

My heart goes out to you Dave. My bet is that the issue is the ECU is "bad". I would hope that the dealer's whiz-bang diagnostic computer would be able to find the fault pretty quickly, but it seems that is not the case. I imagine they will just start swapping parts like a schmuck like me would do!

Keep us posted!

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death

post #4 of 7 Old Jun 21st, 2009, 2:47 pm

Dave,

Sorry to hear of the ongoing frustration. Enjoy the Trumpet and let us know what they find as the culprit.

Best regards.
post #5 of 7 Old Jun 21st, 2009, 5:39 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
Another couple of weeks and the dealer may find the time to look at it.

Sorry to hear of your difficulties, What kind of foul is on the plugs ?

Are they fuel or oil fouled ?

John
Its using twice as much fuel than it should.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #6 of 7 Old Jun 21st, 2009, 5:55 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWphreak
My heart goes out to you Dave. My bet is that the issue is the ECU is "bad". I would hope that the dealer's whiz-bang diagnostic computer would be able to find the fault pretty quickly, but it seems that is not the case. I imagine they will just start swapping parts like a schmuck like me would do!

Keep us posted!
The diagnostic computer & scope were of no help. I stopped in friday afternoon to offer the triumph back just in case they needed it for sat.demo rides. They said to keep it until its fixed. I noticed the mechanic going back & forth to the parts dept. with his volt-ohm meter in hand several times.

I also don't expect them to work on it until its fixed. Sometimes you just have to stop & think about it while working on the easy repairs. It also makes sense to me not to let the easy repairs stack up behind a difficult repair.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #7 of 7 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 8:45 pm

Okay, basics:

Engine is running rich. Fuel pressure is good now. I'm assuming it's fouling all four plugs, indicating it's NOT a leaky injector on one cylinder. Bike ran okay for awhile, then started running terrible. O2 sensor is new.

One of the things that gets overlooked all too often: GROUNDS. Ask the tech if he has checked voltage drop on the ground leads to the control unit. A lot of service manuals will have resistance checks as part of the diagnostics, and the wiring may read okay with an ohmmeter. However, put that same wire under an electrical load, and the voltage drop from the control unit to ground rears it's ugly head.

The check is fairly simple - use the voltmeter with the common lead grounded to the battery negative post, start the bike, and check the voltage at the ground terminals of the control unit. If the voltmeter is reading higher than 0.2 volts, you've found a problem. Make sure it gets checked with the bike hot, since it runs worse when warmed up.

You'd be surprised at the number of oddball driveability and MIL complaints I've found with those simple checks. Hope it helps you out.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in